Installing the Acorn with Adtech CNC drives

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

rruizvial
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804738481A4 0130191589.
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Installing the Acorn with Adtech CNC drives

Post by rruizvial »

Same fault.

How to repair this motor driver. I notice that it is the top board that has that burned component.

To make it worse I only have my trusty my fluke 289 multimeter, my PASE ADS200 soldering iron and a magnifying glass. I am not an electronics guy.

Buy a new motor driver or undertake this fix, in which I don't even have components to replace.

The motor driver is Adtech QS7AA030M.

Now I am afraid that if I install another motor driver, this one will also burn out.
Attachments
1645674865760784920673660988160.jpg
16456748400272555305007121068621.jpg
Last edited by rruizvial on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:01 am This is a post for posterity, whenever I have a problem with something, I search for similar issues that others may have experienced, hopefully to find a solution.

I finally fixed my Adtech QSAA015M servo driver and 20 seconds later the replacement that I had ordered for it arrived (I think that's called Murphy's law).
Anyway, here is a rundown of the cause and the fix.

1/ I (foolishly in hindsight) assumed that the Acorn controller would be exactly the same as my Ethernet Smoothstepper that I had been using with Mach3, so I didn't do much checking of my old setup (mistake 1).
2/ I connected 24V signals (step, Dir etc) where I had previously used 5V signals (mistake 2) I could easily have fixed this by adding resistors.
3/ I reversed the polarity of said signals because, for some reason I thought this was the right thing to do (severe mistake 3).

My gung ho attitude, led to a damaged servo controller (Dir signal wouldn't work) and numerous forum posts asking for help.

The damage to the controller was as follows:
A surface mount resistor (210 ohm) on the input of the "Dir" signal measured as a short, because it had overheated and melted the solder underneath. This was fixed by removing the 210 ohm resistor and resoldering.
A 6N137 opto device was open circuit on the input side. This wasn't apparent when measured "in circuit" because there was another diode in the circuit as well, so it was only after I removed the 6N137 from the board that the damage to it became apparent.
Repairing these issues fixed the controller.

What did I learn from this other than the obvious? Well not much really, I have an impetuous nature, which will probably get me killed one day....

Dave
I suspect that this circuit may be sensitive, when I first installed the connection, the motor did turn in reverse and then it didn't. If you had the same thing happen to you, maybe it is that part of the circuit.

Can you give me any advice?

buy a new motor driver or repair?
dmbgo
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A7F34-0730203594

Post by dmbgo »

Personally I'd try to fix the issue with the existing controller, bearing in mind that you can always get a new controller if that fails. I don't think it's part of the circuit design that caused the failure in the first place, I also think you need to be very sure about the original cause of the failure, otherwise you are risking a repeat of this problem, potentially with a new controller.
If you feel that your electronics skills aren't up to repairing the controller, make sure that when you order a new controller, you tell the supplier the exact model of motor you are using, and ask them to configure the controller accordingly.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm Personally I'd try to fix the issue with the existing controller, bearing in mind that you can always get a new controller if that fails. I don't think it's part of the circuit design that caused the failure in the first place, I also think you need to be very sure about the original cause of the failure, otherwise you are risking a repeat of this problem, potentially with a new controller.
If you feel that your electronics skills aren't up to repairing the controller, make sure that when you order a new controller, you tell the supplier the exact model of motor you are using, and ask them to configure the controller accordingly.
The Dir- signal was the one that burned the SMD resistor.

I don't understand why that resistor burned out.

In the case of the factors you gave, the only common factor is the consequence of the damage in the Dir- signal, since the motor controller has an adtech servomotor, and the signal was not reversed.

your factor:
1/ I assumed that the Acorn controller would be exactly the same as my Ethernet Smoothstepper that I had been using with Mach3, so I didn't do much checking of my old setup (mistake 1).
2/ I connected 24V signals (step, Dir etc) where I had previously used 5V signals (mistake 2) I could easily have fixed this by adding resistors.
3/ I reversed the polarity of said signals because, for some reason I thought this was the right thing to do.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

Unfortunately, too much time has passed. I don't recall the exact cause either - sorry.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:44 am Unfortunately, too much time has passed. I don't recall the exact cause either - sorry.
Acorn Board Connector
24in
24in

Adtech Servo Controller Signal
(Puls) Step+
(Sign) Dir+

Can you explain me how is that connection physically, in the acorn board the 24IN input (24in).

There are two 24IN, one is on H1 and the other is on H4.

When you connected Step+ and Dir+, what did you do:

1. you did one on H1 and the other on H4.
2. You connected both on H1 (or H4).
3. You connected both on H1 (or H4) while H4 (or H1) is energized with +24VDC.

Editor's note:

Analyzing your work.

you joined in the 24IN input, the +24VDC wire, and two yellow wires, corresponding to each one the X signal and another one for the Z signal, as follows:

Step + Wh/Grn
Dir + Grn
Incom+ V+ Blu/wh
Attachments
20200902_095711 (2).jpg
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

Tomorrow I will pull my controller and the connector to the Adtech servo drive apart and photograph them. I have absolutely no memory of what I did.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:24 am Tomorrow I will pull my controller and the connector to the Adtech servo drive apart and photograph them. I have absolutely no memory of what I did.

thanks mate

I already bought and configured even the encoder with acorn, I have no choice, my milling machine must work with centroid.

The good thing is that there is hope that this will be successful.
dmbgo

Post by dmbgo »

I'm sorry, but I didn't get a chance to answer your question today. I'll try tomorrow.
rruizvial

Post by rruizvial »

dmbgo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:34 am I'm sorry, but I didn't get a chance to answer your question today. I'll try tomorrow.
hello have you been able to take some more pictures of the controller.

Although I think that if you did not modify the connection from the photographs, and the adtech motor driver, with an adtech motor, you connected it without problems, perhaps the problem is due to the motor driver.

I dont know what is the problem about acorn adtech

***** edition note *****
It would be nice if there was a schematic to correctly connect an acorn with an adtech motor driver.

On the other hand, I don't understand why the step-dir connection form is not followed as if it were mach3/4