Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Probe and digitizing questions

Post by cnckeith »

ShawnM wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:05 am Another question about digitizing, I thought I ask here to keep the topic the same.

Below is a pic of a carbon fiber instrument panel I cut for a customer. It's made from 3mm carbon fiber.

carbon fiber panel.jpg

I had to painstakingly measure and redraw the perimeter shape by hand using my own grid system and import that into AutoCAD to make my cut file. I want to learn digitizing and be able to digitize JUST THE PERIMETER of a panel like this one or similar. Again I just want to be able to move the probe around the perimeter and it give me 2D point cloud data, There will just be X and Y coordinates. There will be no need for Z axis data points as it's a 2D panel. I can very easily import that 2D point cloud data into Vcarve Pro and create vectors from the cloud points, that's the easy part. :mrgreen:

My question is can the Centroid digitizing bundle probe the perimeter of a panel with this shape? I have read some of the Mill manual about digitizing and see the various types. Would I use "contour" or "wall following" to digitize something like this? This may be a contour cycle but I've done other panels with notches and other irregular shapes that may need wall following for those. Am I thinking correctly here?

I'm ready to buy a probe and try this for myself but want to make sure that what I want to do is possible before I jump into the deep end. I can swim but I'm scared of the unknown. :shock:

Does anyone have an actual 2D digitized file (.DIG) that they digitized and can share so I can open it in Vcarve Pro and create some vectors from it?
centroid 2d digitizing file of a machine cam attached. this is the g code version. rename to .dig and use dig to cam button in cnc12 to convert to CSV point data to import into cad system
Attachments
CAMCW.txt
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html