Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: One PC for multiple Acorns?

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 pm Just an update to this...I’ve got mill and lathe, one of each, running off a single PC. So far, I haven’t run into any issues. But, something I didn’t think about is that the Xbox controller (using Rewasd) is a problem as the configuration does not work for both machines. Not sure if there is a solution to this. Perhaps when the MPG is available, I can use it for one machine and the Xbox for the other. I’m hoping that will be how it works out.
Joy2key allows you to create multiple profiles, so you could just go in and start Joy2Key and select a lathe profile or a mill profile.
Maybe Rewasd does the same?

I like Joy2Key, glad it was introduced to us. Makes a good stop gap until the XHC pendant is ready.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
bgriggs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Unknown
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by bgriggs »

I would like to ask the opposite question. Can you have One Acorn and CNC12 on two computers? One would have actual control of the Acorn and machine, the other for learning the software in the comfort of your room.

Bill
lilb93
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0216041209

Post by lilb93 »

Nope, That will not work. If not connected to the acorn it wont open. You will need the offline USB dongle. $99.00
Barnesville, PA.

I always thought it would take longer to grow old.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

bgriggs wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:59 pm I would like to ask the opposite question. Can you have One Acorn and CNC12 on two computers? One would have actual control of the Acorn and machine, the other for learning the software in the comfort of your room.

Bill
Hiya Bill! Nope but you you can purchase offline Intercon (the conversational program) for $99 which gets you a USB dongle & it allows you to program parts on any PC the dongle's plugged in to. It will show you a graph of the posted cut file & you can save it for loading into the CNC PC that's connected to your Acorn.

I'm still learning Intercon; mostly unlearning Mach Wizards. It's for the best because Centroid is the real deal. :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Isn’t it possible to connect an Acorn to more than one PC? It just has to be physically connected via ethernet, right? I’m about to try running on my older laptop and assume it will work.

And I think the USB dongle is only for Intercon and not for actually learning CNC12
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

It is possible for one Acorn to be connected to two different computers. (One at a time of course). Each must be running the same version of CNC12.

CNC12 will not run without being connected to an Acorn. And the latest version of the software (4.10) the Wizard I believe needs to be connected to an Acorn or it may not start.
Will have to wait for Centroid to verify that one.

I believe there is a downloadable Demo of CNC11, which is very similar to CNC12 but does not have the Virtual Control Panel
Marty
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

diycncscott wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:45 pm Mill and lathe are in separate directories so just install and select the shortcut you want if only running 1 mill and 1 lathe. Just move the ethernet cable between the 2 acorns.

For multiple mills I wrote a couple of batch files, the format is pretty easy to follow.

1. Copy both mill1.bat and mill2.bat into your cncm directory (they were renamed as .txt for posting purposes)
2. Create shortcuts to the batch files
3. Configure mill1 as you require.
4. Create a file named c:\cncm\cncm1.txt
5. Exit Acorn software
6. Create directorys named c:\cncm1 & c:\cncm2
7. Click the shortcut for mill1.bat - this will copy all the settings for mill1 to c:\cncm1
8. Exit Acorn software
9. Plug the ethernet cable into Acorn#2
10. Run the Wizard again. Click "Restore Drive Defaults", then click "Reset CNC Configuration", configure mill2 as needed and then click "Write Settings to CNC control configuration"
11. Create file named c:\cncm\cncm2.txt, delete c:\cncm\cncm1.txt
12. Click the shortcut for mill2.bat
Has anyone tried this? I'm contemplating the need for this process (2 mills plus 1 lathe, all on one PC) and, out of curiosity, took a look at the two attached files. They look identical. My total lack of programming understanding cannot comprehend how this works. :lol: Currently, I use one PC to run one mill and one lathe with a "manual" RJ45 switch. I realize it's not recommended, but it works without problems for me.
tkbot47
CNC Control System Serial Number: haven't installed CNC12 yet

Post by tkbot47 »

I have successfully run two Acorn machines off of one Intel NUC. I have two Acorns, two pro licenses (one lathe and one mill), and I run one ethernet cable out of the computer into a Netgear Gigaswitch, then one cable each from the switch to the two machines. Works great, as long as the software is in two different directories, and you NEVER run them or power them up at the same time.
Tom
martyscncgarage

I see no attachments. And at less than $200 for a PC, I'm not so sure I'd go through the trouble, but to each his own!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

tkbot47 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 pm I have successfully run two Acorn machines off of one Intel NUC. I have two Acorns, two pro licenses (one lathe and one mill), and I run one ethernet cable out of the computer into a Netgear Gigaswitch, then one cable each from the switch to the two machines. Works great, as long as the software is in two different directories, and you NEVER run them or power them up at the same time.
Tom
Tom, I could see this working. You should do a brief video of your setup and how it works....
Marty
Mesa, AZ