Building new Table

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

mjktech
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Building new Table

Post by mjktech »

I am part of a special effects group and we are just starting to build a plasma cutting system. We will fabricate the table etc. and are looking at using the Acorn CNC Plasma and accessories to control it. Right now I am looking for recomendations for both servo and stepper options as well as a good gantry system using linear bearings with gear drives etc. We are planning on building a 5' x 10' table and using a Hypertherm 125amp plasma cutter.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Michael Kirchmeier
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Building new Table

Post by ShawnM »

Welcome Michael, I also used to be a special effects technician here in Florida in our local IA. Looking at your profile we know many of them same people. I got out of the movie business back in 2004, sort of. Small world, huh?

I have a 5x10 ShopSabre with an Powermax 85 that I retrofit with Acorn. I'd highly recommend using the Clearpath servo's and not bother with steppers. If you are planning on a rack and pinion system you'll need some gearboxes to keep the mechanics in the "sweet spot" for Acorn. Details on this are in the plasma manual found here:

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

Designing the system properly from the start is key to a solid, reliable machine that produces good quality cuts. To get good quality cuts you need to build it properly for plasma.

There are pics and videos of my machine in my Google album at he link below. I can share any details or more pics with you to help.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1XDojEkMjEMsyuyM7
IronHead Brew
CNC Control System Serial Number: 78047381F60E-0201191611

Post by IronHead Brew »

Wow, what are the odds? I'm also in the effects industry, just the live entertainment side of it. I'm currently using my table to aid in fabricating holders for 1.4G close prox and some custom flame effects. I know quite a few people that came from Disney. Once you get it set up it will change your life!

Rich
'98 era AXYZ 39" x 39" Router
MCG MSD 50D stepper drives
AXYZ NEMA34 stepper motors
TB Woods E-TRAC X2C inverter
Perske VS 50.09-2 spindle
Centroid Acorn
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

your best bet is check my Face book page CNC plasma table builders . on there i have a list of parts used build videos . in file section there a DXF file of gantry risers that work with 20 mm linear rails and avid cnc motor drives . i used the pro drive 3 to 1 reduction . Motor 34 size 900 oz 8 wire from automation technology website they wire in series wire im running gecko vampire drives 72 v 20 amp supply toroidal lots of info on my FB page join the group of builders on there . lots of acorn builds feal free to pm me any time on FB i have a build video on there also going over every part . My table speeds are 1200 ipm with very high acceleration . that needed for best cut on thin stuff using hypertherm
mjktech
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by mjktech »

Thanks,