Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: CONFIRM ENCODER COMMUNICATION

Post by ashesman »

Could you post a video of the noise. I spent a year and a half and several hundred emails working with DMM to try resolve almost every possible issue under the sun.

If you are not using their motors then good luck getting them to work.

If you are running them in precision mode (A/B) mode then take centroid out of the equation. Although still need slower acceleration times.

If the motors howl on big moves or hum when stationary, most likely the gains are too high. Their auto tuned gains are not that good I found.

I ran them at 200V 3ph and 240V 1ph and didnt seem to make a difference. Poor wiring practice could be making noise issues. But if you are just using their cables everywhere and their motors and everything is earthed correctly then they should be OK.

Perhaps a bit more details on your setup, parts used, wiring, photos, tuning settings etc would be helpful.
Talyrond
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Talyrond »

@cncsnw, yes I have an isolating transformer that steps down to 115v, it certainly improved things, but it still errors after a few minutes.

@ashesman, when I say noise I don't mean sound, I mean electrical noise. Yes I'm using DMM motors and they run OK with their DMMDRV software, i.e it auto tunes fine. That's the first thing I did, at that time the motors would not move at all without erroring out. It only seems a problem when trying to drive via the Oak. I'm using DMM supplied cables.

I'll start a new thread with full details and images.

Thanks

Julian
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

No need to start a new thread, unless there is an unrelated issue to discuss. I would definitely like to see your wiring arrangement. The signals to/from the Oak are differential, so very hard to introduce noise into, however, not impossible if you have very bad common mode noise due to high currents in the cable shields or due to surrounding wires. Proper earthing is pretty important. It is not really OK just to connect an earth to any old bit of metal anywhere (not saying you have but...). Same goes for the individual power supplies and their reference point.

if you have a wiring diagram and some pictures we might be able to help.
Talyrond

Post by Talyrond »

@ashesman
I felt happier starting a new thread as the tittle does reflect the issue now: https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7640

Lots more info there now.

Thanks

Julian
ruirosa

Post by ruirosa »

Hello
After Marthys help;
No more encoder diferential or quadrature errors.
In did the problem was that the drives had no power when the controler started. Only when the CNC12 was fired up.
Since I wired the drives power on the contactors output, according to the inicialy sent by DMM diagramm ( that diagram was from 2019) .
Yesterday after my Email to DMM. They sent me a new diagram where the drives power is wired before the contactors.
This way as you wrote the drives are on when the controler powers up.

Have a look at the new DMM wiring diagram and compare with your wiring specilay in waht the Drives Power concern.
Good luck
Rui
Attachments
DYN4 AC Servo Drive to Centroid OAK R4.pdf
(98.7 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Good find. Yes you definitely want the drives logic powered all the time. Same as the spindle VFD only cut the main power supply to the drives with estop contactor. I had made some assumptions that all the wiring diagrams would have been drawn like that as it makes no sense to power down the logic side ever. Good old DMM, add that to the list of peoples time they have wasted!

Glad to hear it's all sorted.
Talyrond

Post by Talyrond »

Thanks @ruirosa unfortunately I had the new drawing so was already wired that way:(

Julian
Talyrond

Post by Talyrond »

@cncsnw. Not tried that 120v, but like you say that's hard to come by. I've purchased a single Yaskawa drive and motor. Just sorting cables out, if they work I'm moving on. Keep you posted.

Thank!

Julian