plasma collision error

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: plasma collision error

Post by cnckeith »

post a fresh report so we can see your current settings and keep on helping you.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Skipster67
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Skipster67 »

Attachments
report_30E283DFAFA1-1216215456_2022-09-21_18-45-37.zip
(5.1 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Thanks for the report, there are some minor adjustments needed to the steps/rev needed and your photo link to your Google album isn't working for me. Have you tried to increase the max rate for the axis to get more speed from the machine? If you are going to cut thin material cleanly you'll need more speed than your current 150 IPM max rate.

I'd also suggest you set your screen resolution to 1920x1080 for best results.
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Which reves need changed will gladly change them. Not sure why the photo album isnt working it loads right up from that link for me. Maybe because I posted it. Never did a album before. Will change the resolution as well thanks.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Click on share on the photo album. Copy that link and paste so that we can see the photo album
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

https://photos.google.com/albums.
Screen is set as high as it goes. I will try to up my speed tonight.
Not really looking to cut that thin but will see how fast it will run.
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best gauge to use for wall art?
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Great, the link works, the third time is the charm. :mrgreen: Very helpful to see the build and mechanics.

As for your screen resolution, 1920x1080 is highly recommended but lower works. Try updating your graphics driver with one direct from the graphics chip manufacturer. Also, could be the monitor depending on the age of it. Just a minor issue really.

As for "wall art" material, that is thin material, typically 14 to 16 gauge from what I've seen around at some of the craft shows I go to. That's why I was asking what you plan to cut with the current max speeds you show in your report. According to Hypertherm and my manual cutting 14 gauge at 45 amps for best cut quality needs to be cutting at 270 IPM and 16 gauge is 350 IPM. Your current max speed is 150 IPM. Great if you want to cut thick material but cutting too slow can lead to low sped dross, possible loss of arc as there's now no material left for the arc and this will of course really shorten he life of your expensive Hypertherm consumables. That said I'd see where your motors max out before they start missing steps. My fear is that you are limiting yourself with the G540 but let's see.

You'll probably want to adjust the accel/decel numbers in the wizard also, but lets see if you can get it moving faster first. You'll want a "snappy" z axis for sure.

As for your steps/rev, I see from the pic now that your axis are all direct driven by the motor. I can't tell you what to set them to as every machine is different but I can tell you they are not whole numbers. What is the pitch of the screws you have? From your current settings I'm guessing the Z axis is a 5mm pitch, the X is a 10mm pitch and the Y could possibly be 5mm also. Your settings in the wizard are exact, whole numbers and they just aren't accurate. They may appear "close enough" with a tape measure but the further you move the more the error you'll see. The Z is possibly closer to 5.08, the X is closer t0 2.54 and the Y seems way off, possibly also 5.08. Assuming you have metric pitch screws.

Take some time and go through the course and fine DRO adjustment to get your axis dialed it better for more accurate cuts. You'll end up with a number with 4 to 5 numbers after the decimal point and not 5.0 or 2.0.

Here's a link to download the DRO adjustment procedures:

Coarse DRO adjustment: https://centroidcncforum.com/download/file.php?id=15220

Fine DRO adjustment: https://centroidcncforum.com/download/file.php?id=15220
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Thanks so much for all your help. I never got this much support from the mach forum. I'm going to add some photos of the y axis. Also hoping to use this set up to improve the gantry and y axis. Was originally going for a dual usage router/plasma but not any more I really want to lighten everything up.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I'm happy to help as much as I can, this forum was helpful to me as well. I tried Mach on the first, small router I bought many years ago but quickly trashed that idea and went with Acorn. It also had a G540 on it but that's another story. I've been down the road you are on with my ShopSabre retrofit and the satisfaction that comes from a properly setup machine that cuts very well is priceless.

A light gantry is great for plasma systems, it makes them zippy with not a lot of inertia. The ShopSabre I have is VERY heavy for a plasma but it's basically the same table they use for their routers. A heavy table for a router is a must. Not so much for plasma.

I'd suggest dialing in the step/rev first and get those as accurate as you can. Then work on getting a little more speed from the motors if you want to cut thinner material. Yes, anything with the word "gauge" after it is thin. :mrgreen: You might need to add gearboxes but let's see what happens first with what you have.

Baby steps, we'll get you there soon enough.