CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

C86ACCP axis slave gives 9031 Drive Fault error

Post by johannes »

Hi,
I have a router with a dual motor Y axis, currently wired to the C86ACCP board for Clearpath.
I have tried using the hard slave feature of the C86ACCP, but that always gives a 9031 Drive Fault error. I have placed jumpers according to the manual, but no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Report file for Drive Error when hard slaved on the C86ACCP board:
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: C86ACCP axis slave gives 9031 Drive Fault error

Post by Gary Campbell »

OK...Here is the scoop:
1 Ignore the schematics DO NOT SET ANY INPUT TO DriveOk at this time DO THIS LAST!!!
2 Put a wire jumper across the 2 terminals next to the power input terminals (new ones come this way)
3 Power the 86accp from the Acorn4 +24VDC& COM terminals, so it is on when the acorn is on
4 Set the Acorn Enable Jumper (next to the red power LED) to OFF
5 Make sure the Hard/Soft jumpers are all set to HARD
6 Set the ACTIVE AXIS jumpers for the X, Y and Z to ON (terms 2 & 3)

Are you using Independent auto square? Are you sure that you need it? If so GOTO #8

7 If you are pairing an axis (no autoquare) set all 4 of the SLAVE jumpers to 1-2 for X and 2-3 for Y. ALL 4!!!
If not using autosquare, install the C86 board into the terminals making sure that you are in all 16 terminals securely
GOTO #10

8 Set the ACTIVE AXIS (4th) mislabeled as "A" to on
9 Remove the 4 slave jumpers and set aside
Install the C86 board into the terminals making sure that you are in all 16 terminals securely
10 Place short wire jumpers connecting the 2 position terminals marked ALAR & GND together for each axis you will be connecting to
11 Connect 24vCOM to relay terminal V IN and Connect a wire from the NC terminal to the input you will use for DriveOk NC

Connect any ONE axis you wish to test or tune to its terminals or plug. If using terminals, Ignore the RED/GRN HLFB wires for now.
move and autotune that axis. Repeat, one at a time for the rest of the motors.

All done? All axes moving? Remove the short jumpers, install the red/grn wires and set the input connected to in step #11 to Drive OK
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
johannes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by johannes »

Gary Campbell wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:58 pm 4 Set the Acorn Enable Jumper (next to the red power LED) to OFF
5 Make sure the Hard/Soft jumpers are all set to HARD
Interesting. This is opposite to what I have seen in other videos, such as the one listed on the cnc4pc page. (
Not questioning your guidance, just curious as to what that does, since that is new to me.
Does this mean the motors immediate enable as soon as the board receives power from Acorn, and do not disable during e.g. a Reset?

One thought I have (down the road) is to write a homing macro that makes use of Clearpaths Hard Stop Precision Homing feature, but initiated from Acorn, in order to control the sequence. (I want to raise the spindle out of the way and home Z first, then home the rest).
Do you know if I can set the HLFB to ASG, in order to pickup the Move Done from the Servo to an input on the Acorn, while at the same time have the C86ACCP board produce the DriveOK signal to Acorn?
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

Does this mean the motors immediate enable as soon as the board receives power from Acorn, and do not disable during e.g. a Reset?

In my systems the servo power supply will power down during a reset and the servos wont power up until the estop/reset is released

One thought I have (down the road) is to write a homing macro that makes use of Clearpaths Hard Stop Precision Homing feature, but initiated from Acorn, in order to control the sequence. (I want to raise the spindle out of the way and home Z first, then home the rest).

ClearPath motors will not receive a signal to home from Acorn. They will execute each (and every) time they are powered up

Do you know if I can set the HLFB to ASG, in order to pickup the Move Done from the Servo to an input on the Acorn, while at the same time have the C86ACCP board produce the DriveOK signal to Acorn?
Nope. You must pick one or the other
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

Interesting. This is opposite to what I have seen in other videos, such as the one listed on the cnc4pc page.
I usually avoid videos by YouTube experts but did go back and watch the one that you linked to. It shows, in a minor way, the resaon I wont setup a system that way.

De-asserting the enable removes the holding torque from the motors. A machine that uses autosquare to correct an out of square (relaxed) gantry will revert to an out of sqaure condition when the ENA signal is removed. This requires that the machine be rehomed. Even if the gantry is square when relaxed, steppers and ClearPath servos will "jump" into a torque detent position when power and/or ENA is applied. This is not guaranteed to be the same position they were in when ENA was de-asserted. Therefore, I prefer that my ClearPath systems keep both power and ENA signal present unless the estop is triggered.

As stated above, in my systems power is removed from the servo power supply via contactor during an estop condition. The video states that applying ENA resets the motor drive. This is incorrect. A faulted ClearPath, like most stepper drives, can only be reset by power cycle, not ENA signal.

The C86ACCP adapter board is a good product that I like and use often that provides 4 main functions.

One: It provides a conditioned signal for ClearPath step and direction better than the Acorns open collector, eliminating the need to wire in pull-up resistors.
Two: It provides a good connection solution that allows using the factory Minifit Jr plugs or custom landed wire lengths.
Three: It accumulates the HLFB signal from multiple motors into one "servo alarm" signal.
Four: It provides a simple solution to hardware pair dual X or Y motors.

Beyond that the recommended wiring thru a relay and various options via jumper settings don't add anything to the system other than unneeded complexity and more opportunities to confuse inexperienced users.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
johannes

Post by johannes »

Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail, I really appreciate it.
I have a relay in the ESTOP circuit that gives power to the IPC5 when the ESTOP is not pressed/latched, but I have for now used the Power4hub on a permanent supply along which means the drives retain logic power.
Teknic brags in their videos that this makes the clear path drive retain encoder position awareness even if the motor is moved manually, but since acorn doesn't see this, it has no additional value to me.
I like your thinking around ensuring an auto squared gantry stays in sync by not de-enabling the drives unless emergency, so I'll rewire the system accordingly. Makes good sense.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Quick sanity check as I'm going through the scenarios:
- You power the Clearpath PSU (and power4hub) from the ESTOP operated contactor (and the C86a from acorn) - so the motors enable upon power up of the C86a without any additional signal or input from acorn.
Since they are HARD enabled, hitting "Reset" in the Acorn VCP does nothing to the Clearpaths in this scenario, they remain enabled and powered.
Only when hitting the physical emergency stop button is the IPC5 (and Power4hub) cut off by the contactor.

- You don't use any homing feature in the Clearpath firmware, homing is 100% driven by Acorn and inductive sensors/switches.
- Releasing the emergency stop will power the Clearpaths again, (and re-enable them assuming the acorn/C86a remains powered on) but they don't start to move/home until explicitly called by a homing macro in Acorn.

I have a servo brake wired to a relay operated by the 3AxisBrakeRelease output, and have seen that it releases too quickly. Meaning, the Z axis has time to drop before the servo enables and holds torque. This causes Z to lose position when the servo and brake are switched on/off/on.

Where in the wiring loop do you suggest placing the servo brake control to avoid this problem?
- If I wire the servo brake relay to the same power input that powers the C86a board, it should release the brake at around the same time the board is powered up (and HARD enabled is chosen). Even if there is a moment between servo brake release before the servo enables and holds torque, after rehoming in Acorn, everything should be in position.
Assuming the Clearpath servo remains enabled throughout any scenario as long as the C86a board has power, this should work well.

Does this sound right?