recalibrated Clearpath servos

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

AtomicAsian
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: recalibrated Clearpath servos

Post by AtomicAsian »

What is RAS?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Please slow down, stop cutting parts and triple check ALL your settings. With .04 set in backlash, that can certainly mess up a cut.

As for RAS, please read the plasma install manual, the information and settings for Clearpath are in the manual starting on page 46. If your Z axis is direct drive and you probably have metric ball screws the setting of "2" for your overall turns ratio is also not correct. If you have a 10mm, single start ball screw the setting is closer to 2.54.

Did you check your Accel/Decel settings?
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

- RAS is clearpath built in smoothing. please follow the instructions on page 47 and 48 of the plasma installation manual to set the RAS numbers up correctly for plasma use. the Z axis RAS has to be TURNED OFF. X and Y can have RAS on with reasonable values. 40 ms max.

- .040" backlash is unworkable. .005" or less is required. fix the mechanicals of the machine.
set backlash comp to 0.000 until you do.

- post copy of the g code programs when you show a photo of them.

- please create a photo album so all your machine related photos are in one spot so we don't have to go hunting for photos/information from all the various posts you have made, the photo album puts all photos in one spot that has ONE link forever so when you add photos to the album its the same link. here is how. this will help us help you better.

We can not stress enough the importance of PHOTOS. PHOTOS are key to us being able to see what you see. Post a description and photos of the machine tool and all its cnc controlled accessories. Picture is worth a thousand words and clears up misunderstanding instantly. The best way is to use a free online photo album service like Google Photos. Upload large high resolution images to the Google Photos, create an Album, put all your photos in one album and click "share" and then "get link" and copy the link it generates and post in your thread, then any one with the link can view the photos.

we suggest that all users create an online photo album using any one of the many free photo services like Google photos. This allows all your machine and control photos to be in ONE location and provides a "history" of your machine/project, then you can easily post one link here in the forum and we can see all the photos or just the one you want to show us.. examples... Marty, Kai and I have been using google photo albums for this.. here is an example. https://photos.app.goo.gl/foisQ42QZEbmA4Nv1
You can post photos directly to the forum using the Attachment tab. but we would prefer you us a online photo album and post the link to it so all your images will be in one spot, not spread over a bunch of posts..having all the photos in one location makes it easier for all to understand your project and give you good advice.
google photo album also supports VIDEO!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

I’ve been reading manual. I can’t not chose anything different inClearpath RAS 4 or 16ms.
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

AtomicAsian wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:28 pm I’ve been reading manual. I can’t not chose anything different inClearpath RAS 4 or 16ms.
With the RLN series Clearpath you get 3 choices, 4ms, 16ms or off. 16ms is the default so set the X and Y motors to 16ms and set the Z axis to OFF.

What are your Accel/Decel setting for each axis? The default is .5. If you have a heavy gantry then I wouldn't go too much lower, .4 or .35. Those lightweight (and the DIY machines) with aluminum gantries can go down to .2 or .15 and be ok. Heavier gantries need closer to the default settings.
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

I took the gearbox off On the Y axis and it seems ok. possibly not the reason for crappy holes.
I ran a job with motor off to see if its jerking. The video is in my photo album. It definitely jerks.
Would this be normal because of the autotune setup for my table thats in place?
Attachments
report_3484E41BCBF5-0511226200_2022-09-13_17-42-33.zip
(10.38 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

the test job
Attachments
781755CB-DC75-434F-9B98-9665078D7ED1.jpeg
Joey

Post by Joey »

If the machine and motors are ON and you can physically push and pull on a axis and it "slops" back and forth. There is an issue with the motor/rack/pinion. There should be no movement whatsoever
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

Indeed but do motors act like that jerky when making holes. wouldn’t that be a cause