Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Inside the Boxford 250PC lathe turret

Post by Philtrueman »

I just thought i would share a photo of the inside of the Boxford 250PC lathe turret.
The tool position NPN switch is inside. It is working on an axis driven macro. It moves forward using a distance command then reverses until it opens the NC switch. When the lobes of the ratchet come up to the switch and it triggers the sensor and stops the stepper motor, and does not stall the motor.
The only problem is that the DRO counter for the A axis keeps building up the figures instead of re-setting the DRO to the requested tool number after it has reversed. The sensing area is where the number 1 is written on the switch. Here is the turret macro so far.
The switch is a NPN switch Made by IFM and is a 3002 ANOG part number It has to be this switch to fit inside the turret.
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Axis Driven Turret Section
;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N300

#101 = #5024 % #9161 ;Get Current Turret Location

;Check to ensure turret is not at requested position, if so then skip tool change.
IF [ABS[#4120-#101] < .002] THEN GOTO 1000

;If tool requested is not a valid tool, Skip macro and send message to operator.
IF #4120 < 1 || #4120 > #9161 THEN GOTO 500

;Calculate Requested Position to move Turret to.
IF #101 > #4120 THEN #102 = [#5024 + #9161 + #4120 - #101] ELSE #102 = [#5024 + #4120 - #101]
G53 A[#102 +0.03]
M105/A P-3 F25 ; Reverse motor until input 3 NC switch opens and is against the pawl.
IF #50001 ;Prevent lookahead from parsing past here
G10 P1976 R[#4120] ;Set parameter 976 to tool number
GOTO 1000

N500
M225 #100 "Invalid Tool Number Requested!\nPress Cycle Start to Skip Tool Change.\nPress Cycle Cancel to abort Program"

N1000 ;End of Macro
Attachments
Turret_switch[1].jpg
Andre
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 5933
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Inside the Boxford 250PC lathe turret

Post by Andre »

Thanks so much for this info. I would love to pick your brains on the macro. And more about the 250 generally. I am about to retrofit a boxford 240. The turret looks the same but has no homing switches what so ever as does the machine. How do the machine homing switches work ?
Philtrueman

Post by Philtrueman »

They are NPN proximity switches made by IFM. They work with 24 volts when anything comes close to the switch "within 2mm" it will trigger the switch and drop the voltage to zero which stops the stepper motor. Then the motor moves the slide away from the switch until it goes 24 volts again then stops. I just use them for the homing switches.
Is the Boxford 240 the same turret?
Andre

Post by Andre »

The casting of the 240 turret looks identical. But has no cut out for any homing switch. I assume it was originally using the stepper a
As a motor using a time based logic. Hard to say I will search for some of those IMF proximty switches to add too the turret
Philtrueman

Post by Philtrueman »

Hi Andre Just do a search for IFM 3002 ANOG It has to be an ANOG switch There are plenty on e bay maybe secondhand in the USA so there might be 20% import duty on top. You could always fit it on the outside of the turret and make it adjustable.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Aw man. I wish I had read this before I ordered some. I found another post that that had the model. But I didn't Know I needed ANOG I think the switch I ordered is BPOG
Wayne1

Post by Wayne1 »

Hello
I came across a YouTube submission showing some machining with the Boxford 250PC.
I have a 250PC which was converted with the Camsoft system. There was some "customization" needed specifically for the toolchanger. Generally speaking, the rest of the machine was relatively straight forward.

What the customization was about was my modification of the 8 tool position to 16 tools ...which for a programmer, was done quite readily.
Unfortunately, this Camsoft product was not robust. I constantly had problems that either completely shut down the machine or I was forced to temporarily modify the programs to "cheat" through canned cycles.

I have not run this machine for years and now want to get back up running. I am not considering using the Camsoft product. I have looked at the Centroid through the years and have schooled myself a little with watching a few "martyscncgarage" demos and of course visiting the Centroid website.
I think the Centroid product is better suited for what I should change to.

My primary questions are specific to the setting up of the system with my machine which is using a DC spindle motor. The axis and toolchanger are using steppers. I don't believe "setup" will be a problem. My assumption is that the logic is already written and this includes all standard canned cycles with CSS fully functioning as well. This being said, I do need to ask if my assumption is correct?

Additionally, I am unsure about the toolchanger logic as to whether this logic is also written and functioning. I have seen a video clip of this action functioning, but apparently this is with a proximity switch functioning in the system. I do not have this and I am unsure what the purpose of this switch is. As my system functions now, the turret rotates on command, moving from a known tool position, to the programmed tool position, plus a degree or two, then reverses onto the pawl by perhaps a degree past the pawl to ensure the changer is on the pawl, and stops. What I don't know is what role the proximity switch plays and if it is needed at all.

In addition to this functioning question, I also need to deal with a logic programming that can deal with 16 tools instead of the 8 tools. This should not be a major problem as the turret positions are still the 8 positions. The difference is that each "even" tool position (2, 4, 6, & 8) have 3 tools available in each of these positions. The critical feature is that these tools need to have an offset applied to each of them. So, specific to this system, is this something that Centroid does as a "service" ...review the requirements and write and proof the logic?

Sorry for the long "comment" on this site. If there is a better way to communicate, just let me know. I'm sure there will be questions and responses if you want to pursue.
Thanks
Wayne
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Wayne,
hello. Centroid engineers can be hired to work on your project with you. Centroid provides 1:1 CNC tech support with the seasoned engineer for only $90 /per hour. (soon to be raised a bit) -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Wayne1

Post by Wayne1 »

Hello Keith ...thanks. I don't normally use this kind of communications. I am going to have to learn this and manage it.

Reference has been made about a “forum” to get answers to all sorts of questions. Is this the forum I am in now or is there a different location?

I think I first need to spend a lot of time searching through for information to discussions/topics specific to this machine in order to ask intelligent questions.

Out of curiosity, what “logic language” does Centroid use?
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Wayne, this is the correct and official Centroid support Forum with contributions from Centroid staff, system builders and Users alike. There are several types of ATCs that have been used successfully and documented here, some requiring extensive programming and some not.

Your first port of call for research is the following link:

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

hope this helps get you started
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel