Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cut off tool approach

Post by BillB »

I think i have the approach and retract set up pretty close, been playing with it.
Attachments
034.jpg
035.jpg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i noticed in the report steps per rev set to 800. while unrelated to cut off.. this effects machine performance. minimum recommended is 1600

please read.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
BillB
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by BillB »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm i noticed in the report steps per rev set to 800. while unrelated to cut off.. this effects machine performance. minimum recommended is 1600

please read.
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801
Hey Keith, You asked me about that before that is what Sherline recommended in their notes to me for set up. I contacted Karl and John at Sherline, here is what Karl has to say about it. IF its cheap enough I may consider doing this chip swap.

It really just boils down to feed rates right? Not a potential issue for hardware and electronics?

From Karl.
Hello Bill,

Your Acorn control will work with the setting at 800. We have been running ours like that for a while. To change to 1600, you will need a 1600 chip for each axis in the driver box. We have some of these chips available. However, the new chip must be inserted into the driver box “EXACTLY” as the old chip was orientated.

With the new 1600 chip you will be able to get faster feed rates. 800 chip has a max feed of 30-32 In/min. The 1600 chip will increase the feed rate to about 40 in/min.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

right! thanks for the reminder. our software is really not designed to work below 1600, hopefully you can get some more modern drivers at some point.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnc_smith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by cnc_smith »

I have not followed your input in my settings yet BUT here is a current report. I have been playing around with changing Use G28 in parameters as well as in the setup menu in Intercon. What is the difference? is it that your permanently setting it in perimeters VS on-demand within Intercon for as per need basis? Or are they 2 different functions?

I think I just might move on to Fusion for programming till I get the hang of lath work then move back to Intercon. At least I have all the visuals of CAD/CAM to work it all out I just need to learn to define tooling in Fusion.

Please note this report reflects my progress of today's session. Any input is appreciated.
With a no-gang tooling machine with a tool post or turret you go out to the same position to do a tool change to manually load the next tool or for the turret to have clearance to do a tool change. With a larger lathe with a long Z travel you can set the G28 tool change at different Z positions depending on the length of the part so you do not have a lot of unnecessary travel time. With gang tooling the Z travel is shorter. With gang tooling you only have to move Z back to allow for the longest tool to have clearance for the rest of the tools to move back and forth. With lathe Intercon with the G28 suppressed you have to make sure that you retract Z to a clearance area before moving X to a position for the next tool then Z back in. With gang tooling it may take a little extra programing up front. Running the part it will take less time than a lathe with tool post or turret. At the end of the program you can insert the G28 using the M & G Code F2 under the Other F10 command from the main screen in Intercon. You can have this G28 move to a clearance area so it is easier to load the next part and/or work on the tools.

Intercon at the beginning of the program you have the stock size for X. I set X to the raw materiel size. Z I set the Part Length to the part finish length. When you graph you will see the dashed box. I call this is the danger zone. This is the area where the tool will come in contact with the material. When you graph and you see any red lines inside this area you want to make sure that this is not an unexpected move in this area. IF any of the red lines cut through the dashed box then you may not have clearance moves correctly.
Also if you do not have the Tool Orient, Tool type, Approach and Nose Vector set correctly this could cause moves in the wrong direction using the cycles. This might also help understanding unexplained moves that were not programmed. Or it might be as simple as this part is starting out at larger diameter and the tool that is being used is coming into an area were the materiel already have been removed and this is not a problem.

As I have taught operators over the years when doing a program whether it is an Intercon program, you are bring a G-code in from another post or just typing your own g-code the F8 Graph key is the most friendly key on the control. Pressing the F8 Graph key before running a program the first time or when you make any changes to the program or tool description it does not cost you broken tooling, damage material. While Pressing Cycle start without doing an F8 graph first can be costly in many of the wrong ways.

I may have gotten a little wordy here. Not knowing your total back ground. I have a attendance to explain a little more than may be necessary allowing for the person that may not have a lot of experience.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

One thing Dana did not mention about F8 Graph. When graphing, the feedrate controls the drawing speed. Turn the feedrate down very low and you can watch the cutter movement in slow motion so you can see if a rapid moves cuts through unmachined stock.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.