Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Help with KBSI-240D signal isolator wiring

Post by BillB »

Hey guys, Im adding a KBIC 240D signal isolator to give my lathe speed control. I already have my encoder installed and working. Not sure if this is a common component for other machines and set ups but this is what Sherline is tested and used for the Sherline chucker lathe. I'm unsure about 110v lines if they are wired into the Sherline machines power or if it is supposed to be directly plugged into the wall socket then into the KBIC board inputs 1 & 4. I did not get a response from Sherline today on this question so was hoping to get some input from you guys.

I just need to know if the 110 power is coming directly from the wall or from the Sherline's power?
Im provding all docs Sherline sent me, Please see PDF (connection the 240d isolator board to the acorn controller and the Sherline speed control)

thanks
Attachments
kbsi240d.pdf
(38.7 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
kbic_manual.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
dc_wiring_2020.pdf
(328.93 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
connection the 240d islator board to the acorn controller and the sherline speed control.pdf
(598.05 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by BillB on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: Help with KBIC 240D signal isolator wiring

Post by swissi »

BillB wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:38 am Hey guys, Im adding a KBIC 240D signal isolator to give my lathe speed control. I already have my encoder installed and working. Not sure if this is a common component for other machines and set ups but this is what Sherline is tested and used for the Sherline chucker lathe. I'm unsure about 110v lines if they are wired into the Sherline machines power or if it is supposed to be directly plugged into the wall socket then into the KBIC board inputs 1 & 4. I did not get a response from Sherline today on this question so was hoping to get some input from you guys.

I just need to know if the 110 power is coming directly from the wall or from the Sherline's power?
Im provding all docs Sherline sent me, Please see PDF (connection the 240d isolator board to the acorn controller and the Sherline speed control)

thanks
Did you have a look at Franco's video?

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Miamijerry

Post by Miamijerry »

I am attaching the KBSI -240D manual

My opinion; you can power the KBSI however you want;
- Not wise to use two different circuits or outlets...
- Would be nice if the KBSI-240D only got power when the Sherline was "Switched On", in that way it would power down with the Sherline.
kbsi_manual.pdf
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
BillB

Post by BillB »

swissi wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:03 pm
BillB wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:38 am Hey guys, Im adding a KBIC 240D signal isolator to give my lathe speed control. I already have my encoder installed and working. Not sure if this is a common component for other machines and set ups but this is what Sherline is tested and used for the Sherline chucker lathe. I'm unsure about 110v lines if they are wired into the Sherline machines power or if it is supposed to be directly plugged into the wall socket then into the KBIC board inputs 1 & 4. I did not get a response from Sherline today on this question so was hoping to get some input from you guys.

thanks
Did you have a look at Franco's video?

-swissi
Yes but I don't think he explains wiring it up just talks fucntion. will watch again but doubt it.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Miamijerry wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:56 pm I am attaching the KBSI -240D manual

My opinion; you can power the KBSI however you want;
- Not wise to use two different circuits or outlets...
- Would be nice if the KBSI-240D only got power when the Sherline was "Switched On", in that way it would power down with the Sherline.

kbsi_manual.pdf
Thanks for the input, good point I will wire into the Sherline power. I do already have the manual my board is the KBIC, not SI.
Miamijerry

Post by Miamijerry »

Well you confused me!

My understanding was the "KBCI" was a motor speed controller
and
The "KBSI" was a signal isolation board.

Regardless, I like all components in a system (subsystem) to turn off with one switch. My opinion...
BillB

Post by BillB »

Miamijerry wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:37 pm Well you confused me!

My understanding was the "KBCI" was a motor speed controller
and
The "KBSI" was a signal isolation board.

Regardless, I like all components in a system (subsystem) to turn off with one switch. My opinion...
Hey Jerry you are right I was overlooking that my machine uses the KBIC and it is the DC motor speed control that acually comes with my lathe and the KBSI-240D is the signal isolator. I guess I was confused not you, Im sorry man.
BillB

Post by BillB »

OK guys got this working, just need to dial it in to get the RPMs closer. It's pretty fricken cool!!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Power it up when you power up the control cabinet. Spindle motor should have its own overcurrent(fuse) protection.(usually provided on the spindle drive)
You should be using an Estop contactor to ENABLE/DISABLE the Spindle Drive and the axis drives when there is a control fault/Estop condition.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BillB

Post by BillB »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:30 am Power it up when you power up the control cabinet. Spindle motor should have its own overcurrent(fuse) protection.(usually provided on the spindle drive)
You should be using an Estop contactor to ENABLE/DISABLE the Spindle Drive and the axis drives when there is a control fault/Estop condition.

Marty
When Testing, I hit E-stop mid program spindle and axis motors shut down as you would want. Hit E-stop when spindle is running and it also shuts down. I did not have to configure anything else in Wizard to make that work. Is that correct?