CNC Control System Serial Number: 5462
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

New STEPPERONLINE Integrated Servo motor

Post by dtananko »

Hi,
opening the discussion about brand new Servo from Stepperonline. Here is the link to youtube review from Clough42, which is favorable:

The motor can be found on both Amazon and Stepperonline website with option to ship it from US. The price is cheap - 106 from manufacturer and 130 from Amazon.
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/integ ... motor.html

Does anybody have any experience with these motors? I am researching my option to replace my open-loop cheap Chinese motors with something more reliable. Your comments are appreciated. Thank you.
Best Regards,
Dmitry
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: New STEPPERONLINE Integrated Servo motor

Post by Muzzer »

Some of these products are essentially clones of the Leadshine integrated closed loop steppers (http://www.leadshine.com/productdetail. ... l=iES-2320) and others (JMC?) are true servo motors, even though both sorts are generally described as "integrated easy servos" and are visually indistinguishable.

The ones Clough42 is looking at here seem to be the true servo motors, judging by their response to a manual torque load. Just be aware that there are steppers and servos available in the same package and description even though they are functionally very different. Pretty good getting all of this in one package. I have the original Leadshine stepper version on my Bridgeport Z axis but if I was doing the conversion today, I'd definitely look at going for the servo flavour.

One thing I notice in the video is that he tried to tune the "stiffness" parameter to improve the transient response, yet didn't attempt to tune the position loop PID parameters or the inertia ratio. As I understand it, the stiffness relates to the (belt or coupling) connection between the motor and the machine, while the inertia ratio relates the moment of inertia of the complete machine to the MoI of the motor by itself. Clearly they ship the motor in a state that is stable when operated alone, which in turn will not be optimal when installed in your machine. The PID allows you to optimise the transient response of the main position control loop including the plant model of your actual machine.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

On what kind of machine you will like to replace the old steppers?

Uwe
dtananko

Post by dtananko »

I have WorkBee kit from Bulkman3D (AliExpress) 1500x1000 mm size with biggest open-loop stepper motors, Huan Yang VFD and 2.2 kW water-cooled spindle. I upgraded the frame to QueenBee, which brought linear bearings on the steel rails and substantially increased the linear motion speed. Originally, the kit came with USB NOVUSUN controller, which gave me a lot of headaches, including crashing the spindle into spoilboard, loosing coordinates abruptly. I fought EMI with cable grounding and installing EMI filter on VFD, which helped a little.
Since upgrading a few weeks ago to Acorn, everything works smoothly (fingers crossed). I was able to calibrate the ratio for all axes and was ecstatic to find out that I do not have any lash on any axes. (at least measurable with my setup) So, the only weak spot in the machine left is stepper motors. Putting ClearPaths into Quenbee would be like putting Mercedes engine into Yugo. I believe the servos are more capable then closed-loop motors, but do not justify the cost for my applications... Until I discovered the new affordable integrated servo from STEPPERONLINE.
I wrote them email asking for a suggestion and about this new servo. The answer was that they suggest their TS series motors and new servo is too new now and the results for router application is to be seen. That is why I am snooping around trying to find if anybody tried these motors yet. I can be a guinea pig and try them at least on one axes and report back to the community, as I can order one from Amazon, which has very accommodating return policy.
Let me know your thoughts about my upgrade path. Any suggestions about optimal solution for the motors upgrade will be appreciated.
Best Regards,
Dmitry
dtananko

Post by dtananko »

@Muzzer. Great comments. Thank you. Do you know any universal procedure for servos to optimize the stiffness and inertia at the same time? I know ClearPath has a tuning program for their servos. However, their procedure works only on one motor at a time and in case of dual motor gantry their suggested and complicated process it mostly useless.
Best Regards,
Dmitry
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

You can also look after JMC integrated servos, quite common in Germany, but maybe not the best thing to run cheap 1500mm ballscrews with 3000 rpm, so integrated or other closed loop steppers will do the job also with less time on tuning.

Uwe
dtananko

Post by dtananko »

Guys,
Just ran a test of the new Acorn board and after few hours it shifted x axes and ruined the part. I blamed my open loop motors, so I need a suggestion for QueenBee 1500x1000 router motors to replace and start trusting my CNC. Closed-loop set from STEPPERONLINE runs for $300, but the shipping adds another $150. So, for the same amount, I can get either JMC or STEPPERONLINE integrated 180W servos. Any suggestions?
Best Regards,
Dmitry
RogDC
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by RogDC »

dtananko wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:32 pm Any suggestions?
You could also consider the Teknic Clearpath motors. Not sure if you are looking for Nema 23 or Nema 34.

I would expect the Nema 23 SDSK series would be adequate for your machine size.

Teknic has great support, US Based.
cncian
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087B4FFCB-0712192265

Post by cncian »

dtananko wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:50 am ... Putting ClearPaths into Quenbee would be like putting Mercedes engine into Yugo...
dtananko

Post by dtananko »

4 Clearpath motors, plus power block, hub and cables runs around $1700. Which 4x of the JMC and STEPPERONLINE servos and similar closed-loop steppers. I would love to get my hands on ClearPath, but cannot justify the cost.
Best Regards,
Dmitry