CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: KP-3 Probe Woes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Polaraligned,
Rest assured many are interested in resolving and getting to the bottom of it and have been discussing in the background. The best thing that can be done is to continue to work together to see what is going on. All the right people are involved and your feedback is appreciated.

Working together is how things are made better!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by polaraligned »

I know Marty. I have been using Centroid products since 2010. They have always done the right thing and they are doing it now. I just want to make sure my probe is trustworthy, which so far it has not been. My repair report said that they cleaned it out, then the next day they reported to have replaced the nylons. If anything was "crushed" it was probably from me flicking it back and forth to try and get it unstuck after it failed. I was aggravated that it was not working and figured if it was dirt I could work it loose. It worked 99% of the time accurately before servicing- that does not indicate that anything inside it was "crushed" prior. After I was done "exercising" it, then it stayed stuck :D
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

fyi. flicking it with your finger a bit is not enough force to crush the nylon insulator inside the probe.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ozyrob
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900880
CNC11: No

Post by Ozyrob »

I Have a KP-3 that also sticks. I noticed the collar on the front was loose the first time so I gently tightened it up by had but it still sticks now and again. I'm in Australia so sending it back is a bit of an issue.

Rob
Centroid188

Post by Centroid188 »

OzyRob,
Sorry you are having issues, we have sent you and email directly if you didn't get it please check your spam folder.
Centroid188

Post by Centroid188 »

Thank you for the email OzyRob. Your probe is actually a DP-4 and we recommend using Deoxit to clean the probe one time per year. A Deoxit like:

BodeRacing
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No

Post by BodeRacing »

polaraligned wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:36 pm Well Marty, I know you mean no disrespect but you sound like Centroid who accused me of damaging the probe which I did NOT. I take full responsibility for my actions.
I got the exact same treatment from Centroid with my KP-4 probe. The customer service regarding the probe was terrible. I sucked it up and paid to have it repaired. Never been used since. Bought a Renishaw OMP60 and never looked back.

I really appreciate what Centroid brings to the table but my probe experience left a real bad taste in my mouth. Certainly I did not receive the customer service I learned that top notch organizations should provide when I was in graduate business school..........
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

BodeRacing wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:07 pm
polaraligned wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:36 pm Well Marty, I know you mean no disrespect but you sound like Centroid who accused me of damaging the probe which I did NOT. I take full responsibility for my actions.
I got the exact same treatment from Centroid with my KP-4 probe. The customer service regarding the probe was terrible. I sucked it up and paid to have it repaired. Never been used since. Bought a Renishaw OMP60 and never looked back.

I really appreciate what Centroid brings to the table but my probe experience left a real bad taste in my mouth. Certainly I did not receive the customer service I learned that top notch organizations should provide when I was in graduate business school..........
Well for what it's worth, I crashed my DP-4 and had to pay to have it fixed. Been using it ever since. Won't be without a probe.
You can always sell your DP-4 especially if its been serviced and not used
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

BodeRacing wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:07 pm

hello. sorry you had issues with the DP-4. We did reduce the repair cost by 50% for your case even though it was out of Warranty.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sportbikeryder
CNC Control System Serial Number: 10583
CNC11: No

Post by Sportbikeryder »

cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:16 pm I've asked Scott B. to call you with a fresh RMA, so we can take a look at it again. sorry for the hassle, the notes on the first repair show internal seat parts were crushed. (could be caused by a impact or over tightened)
(recently i've used a KP-3 for over 40 hours of fine digitizing on two different large projects with perfect no stick results)
Keith, while it is a bit off topic, any chance you can post some details about digitizing results with the KP-3, along with some anecdotal comparisons to a DP-4 and DP-7 perhaps in a new thread or video?

John