Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Set Z0 through Aux Key does not consider tool length

Post by swissi »

ashesman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:57 am Actually, I found this in the Oak install manual. It suggests that the Jog Panel Required setting does as I thought and prevents an error if there is no communications with the jog panel.

Capture.JPG
It says that an error might occur if it is set to Yes and no jog panel is attached but it doesn't say that something bad could happen when it is set to No when you do have a jog panel. My guess is that a communication check is performed when this is set to Yes but it does not disable the jog panel if it is set to No so what bad can happen if your jog panel gets somehow disconnected? You won't be able to jog? Could that cause any dangerous issues?

Well all I can say is that I know others with jog panels that have done this change to prevent the annoying need to press Cycle Start to run a command file from an Aux button but it's your machine and your responsibility for the configuration changes you make.

Maybe Centroid can chime in here and provide more details if there could be in fact any know negative impact on this setting if it is set to No with a jog panel attached.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Post by tblough »

One "bad" thing that will happen is that, at some point, you'll inadvertantly press return on the keyboard, and the machine will start moving.

Personally, I like having to press cycle start. I have to make a conscious effort to make the machine move. YMMV.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
swissi

Post by swissi »

tblough wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:29 pm One "bad" thing that will happen is that, at some point, you'll inadvertantly press return on the keyboard, and the machine will start moving.

Personally, I like having to press cycle start. I have to make a conscious effort to make the machine move. YMMV.
But that will only happen if you configured the Return Key to have the function of Cycle Start which is not the default configuration afaik, correct?

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If the jog panel is not responding, and you have set "Jog Panel Required" to "No", then a CNC job will proceed without faults.

If you then try to slow down movement with the feedrate override knob, or stop the job with Cycle Cancel or Tool Check, there will be no response and motion will continue uninterrupted.

Emergency Stop, of course, will still work normally.
swissi

Post by swissi »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:04 pm If the jog panel is not responding, and you have set "Jog Panel Required" to "No", then a CNC job will proceed without faults.

If you then try to slow down movement with the feedrate override knob, or stop the job with Cycle Cancel or Tool Check, there will be no response and motion will continue uninterrupted.

Emergency Stop, of course, will still work normally.
Does the communication check happen only at system boot up if the parameter is set to Yes or is this a continues check? With other words, would the control actually recognize that the jog panel is being disconnected after the boot up?

cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It is continuous.

Disconnecting the jog panel should result in "9031 Jog Panel Communication In Fault". Your message number may vary, depending on what PLC program you are using.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by ashesman »

I will give turning off the jog panel required a go out of interest, but personally I feel like having jog panel diagnostics incase of a failure is something I would not like to give up. My jog panel is really easy to unplug so I will test if it does actually error while running if unplugged.

I have also asked Centroid for clarification on the documentation around the Input Z Axis Position built in macro and the requirements for pressing cycle start on aux key macros (when the documentation says differently). I hope they can see that I am not asking a question specific to my machine install and help rather than just say I need to purchase support!
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:24 pm It is continuous.

Disconnecting the jog panel should result in "9031 Jog Panel Communication In Fault". Your message number may vary, depending on what PLC program you are using.
Looks like we were typing at the same time. I will skip that test then...

I see it in the PLC program

Code: Select all

; Set (or reset) the jog panel flag 
IF SV_JOG_PANEL_REQUIRED THEN (JogPanelRequired_M)

IF SV_JOG_LINK_ONLINE THEN (JogLinkOk_M)
IF JogPanelRequired_M && !JogLinkOk_M
  THEN FaultMsg_W = JOGBOARD_INFLT_C, SET MiniPLCOrJogCommsFault_M

;check JogBoard outgoing communications
IF JogPanelRequired_M && JogLinkOk_M && !JogPanelOnline_M
  THEN FaultMsg_W = JOGBOARD_OUTFLT_C, SET MiniPLCOrJogCommsFault_M
SV_JOG_PANEL_REQUIRED is controlled by the setting in the configuration menu.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

So, I did test the "Jog Panel Required" setting. It does indeed disable the requirement to press cycle start before running aux key macros. It also stops the need to push cycle start twice when running a program.

It seems silly to me to combine this functionality! It would make more sense if Jog Panel Required just managed the communication faults. Ideally a separate setting would control if cycle start is required. Given that you can also issue a cycle start from the VCP or pressing Alt S. So I guess that means that machines with no jog panel always execute the g code on cycle start press, but machines with a jog panel and Jog Panel Required set require two cycle start presses to start a program.

I think I might stop the PLC code using SV_JOG_PANEL_REQUIRED and just always test for jog panel faults. Then I can disable Jog Panel Required safely which would allow macros to run without cycle start being pressed. In my limited experience, I think it is normal to run a program with one press of cycle start not two.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

So, this is sorted now. I got the official reply back from Centroid. While they never explained why the built in macros don't work, they suggested to do exactly as @swissi suggested. Reply:
If I understand what you are trying to do, I think this is your best option by far. I don't think the bit values listed on page 310 are what you need.
I would run everything in macros. ie..
##11 where ## = mfunction to run. You'll find it much more flexible.

If you set your "Jog Panel Required" to NO in the control configuration, no cycle start will be required to run a macro unless you put an M0
in the macro because you want it there.
Anyways, in addition to adding the macros and setting Jog Panel Required to Off, I also changed the PLC code to always check for jog panel communication errors irrespective of the Jog Panel Required setting. So, have the best of both worlds.

My only complaint would be now when the macro runs the g code is displayed on the screen while the macro executes whereas the built in macro did not. And you have to push Cycle Start to enter the offset value rather than Enter (I don't want to enable enter for cycle start!). But, I can live with that...