Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool length offset and work offset using a Haimer 3D Taster

Post by ashesman »

I understand tool length compensation and work coordinate system offsets. But, while I was playing around tonight, I was thinking what is the most optimal way to use a Haimer 3D probe for setting up work offsets and tool lengths.

I have read the really useful information here.

I am thinking the best method is "no reference tool". Perhaps just set reference tool to zero or whatever it is when the spindle is at Z home. Then use a fixed tool (say number 1) as the 3D probe tool. Its length is set to roughly the length of the probe (-ve). Then when setting up workpiece Z0, load T1, G43 H1, then zero Z work offset when the 3D probe reads 0. Note I load this tool manually as I I don't want it damaged in the tool rack.

For setting tool lengths, it is just a matter of zeroing a workpiece, or a 123 block, or one of those tool height setting gauges as workpiece Z0, then set the tool lengths with respect to that block.

I have a 10 tool changer and expect that I will need to set most the lengths of the tools I use each job so trying to make it fast and easy.

Thoughts or suggestions on this?

I did notice that the manual tool length measure function does not ask for an offset which is a little annoying, but easy enough to apply later. I often measure with a feeler blade or paper, so would be nice to be able to enter that offset just as you do when setting work offset.
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Tool length offset and work offset using a Haimer 3D Taster

Post by suntravel »

Fastest way is using a Tool touch off probe and a 3D probe connected to the control. If you get a wireless 3D probe you can store it in the tool changer...

Regards

Uwe
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you use the same feeler gage or other spacer for every tool length measurement you make, then you do not need to compensate for its thickness. It is just as if the surface you were measuring tools on was just a little bit higher.

Only when you go to set Z axis Part Zero do you need to compensate for the thickness of whatever is between your tool tip and stock surface.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

suntravel wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:37 pm Fastest way is using a Tool touch off probe and a 3D probe connected to the control. If you get a wireless 3D probe you can store it in the tool changer...

Regards

Uwe
I probably mixed my terminology a bit. When I said probe I meant my Haimer 3D Taster. 3D dial gauge. A probe would be nice but I am not spending another cent on this machine until it starts getting some more use!
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

I mix using a probe and tool setter and the "no reference tool" methods. Most times, I set up the main cutting tools with the probe, but since I mostly work with hardened stainless (17-4 H900 Rc45), I prefer to do my drilling and tapping by hand. For those operations, I use a 0.500" gage pin and set my part 0 with the tool in the chuck on an operation by operation basis.

Since I frequently change between metric an Imperial units, a 0.500" offset is easy to enter (and remember) in either unit system, and I have one-shots set up on my jog panel for X, Y, and Z incremental/absolute position setting.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

ashesman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:16 pm I probably mixed my terminology a bit. When I said probe I meant my Haimer 3D Taster. 3D dial gauge. A probe would be nice but I am not spending another cent on this machine until it starts getting some more use!
Yes, I thought so. Was using this analog Taster a long time also for manual mills.

For occasional use a hobby set of TT and probe from topcom.cz for under 200 bucks will do the job way faster and with more precision than the Haimer.

Regards

Uwe
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Thanks guys for the suggestions. As much as I would like a tool height setter, there just really isn't room in my little machine for one. It would need to be up quite high too as the spindle nose can only get to 175mm above the table. Once the vice is in there, there is almost no table left and not a lot of room for the spindle to clear the work when coming down to a tool length setter. I am using this machine for hobby so not a big deal if I have to set tool lengths manually.

The same applies for the probe tool. Its OK if it takes a few seconds using the analog tool. I already have it and it wasn't cheap so no need to replace it yet. Although, I do have some surface mapping projects in mind so may consider a good probe at some stage.

It sounds like there are many different ways to achieve the same result. Just what works best for your setup and the type of work you do. For me, I want to be able to chuck a block of stock in there, use the Haimer to set work offset Z 0 and know that all the tools will be the correct length, by previously setting the offset as the difference between the tool length and the Haimer length. But in reality I would always do a dry run and check each tool for correct height so...
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

If size is a problem, compare Haimer to TopCom:

Uwe
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

You can shorten the Haimer considerably by making a custom holder for it instead of a stock endmill holder. I shortened my DP-4 by 2.5 inches by modifying a Jacobs chuck arbor.
DP-4 Shank.jpg
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

suntravel wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:05 am If size is a problem, compare Haimer to TopCom:

Uwe
Thanks for the example. Actually, in my case, its too short that is the problem. As the spindle cannot get near the table, I would need a tall height setting gauge for it to work with short tools.

I think I am going to run with setting tool lengths by having no reference tool. I will set T100 as my Haimer and use it for all work position setting. I will then use it to zero the height of my tool offset block (or tool height dial gauge). Then set tool heights off that block. That way I can set tool heights anywhere in the machine, like on top of the work or on a block or vice etc.