CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

FEED potentiometer

Post by Emzy cnc »

Hey guys
I wander , is there any solution to use spindle encoder input to reprogram it and connect it to use potentiometer to controll feed speed ?

It would be nice to have that option to controll cutting speed with potentiometeer , as on real industrial CNC machine.

Or set some keyboard buttons to slow down or speed up feed by 10 %
Forexample i want to slow down or speed up feed by 50% so i press 5 times + or - on keyboard...

That would be so nice update on controller... !!!
Emzy cnc
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: FEED potentiometer

Post by Emzy cnc »

Or maybe change one press on feed button to change it by 10 % not 1%

Sometime when im going into cut, i want to go slow by lot - specially in new program, and in current mode it takes lot longer to slow it down or speed it up.
10% or 20 % steps would be ideal, and when i see everything os going fine i just speed it up to default feed.
Emzy cnc

Post by Emzy cnc »

Also i found this in manual, but it is not working on my acorn - as you see on picture , by pressing shift + or - should be 10% incrument on feed override, but i have to press ctrl + or ctrl - to cruse on feed override, pressing shift + shift - and nothing happen...
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 10.49.12.png
cncian
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087B4FFCB-0712192265

Post by cncian »

Have you tried the wireless MPG?
Emzy cnc

Post by Emzy cnc »

No i didnt, Im quiet happy with my touch screen on centroid, just missing this one thing. In work we have heidenhain, and have to say it is the best platform. Would be nice to have some updates on acorn, or small extended boards to buy where we can upgrade our systems to get closer to industrial style...

I was just thinking, that would not be hard to implement some parameter to change different steps on percentage.
Im sure that these 1% steps do not make big differens in cutting preformance when ppl are trying to find optimal feed/speeds... and i see benefits of 10 or more % steps...
In one or two presses you can find if its batter to slow or speed up cutting. Just saying it would be also more responsive
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

one of the many features on the wheel of the MPG is spindle speed override. just rotate the wheel cw or ccw to change the spindle speed up or down.
then rotate a switch and it becomes a feed rate over ride control, rotate the wheel to change the feedrate. all can be done on the fly as well.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
drdennis
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0927215221

Post by drdennis »

It's not clear, at least to me, whether you are interested in external hardware control (you mention a "potentiometer") or if you would like to see a different UI on the CNC12 control panel screen (as in you insist on using the touch screen).
Multiple options exist for the former, from using the Centroid MPG to building a simple microcontroller with a $20 encoder wheel. Obviously to change the UI you'd have to convince the Centroid folks that such feature is really, really useful.
Cheers
Emzy cnc

Post by Emzy cnc »

Don`t get me wrong, i love to use MPG ( on our heidenhain at work ) But at home it would mean spend another 400 € just for this feature. I know that Centroid can make a lot of money by selling MPGs. but i dont need mpg in my home workflow. If i would have large router - MPG is must.
Thats why small UI change with added parameter to change percentage would be very easy for developers. and so helpful for us users.
I think Centroid should really listen customers and implement some chagnes if they are good .
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Hello.

We do listen to our customers. That has been our business methodology since 1979. (As a matter of fact we started out as a consulting and engineering company that did exactly what the customer wanted on a per job basis.) The Oak, Allin1DC and Acorn evolved from earlier control boards larger due to customer input. For example the Oak and Allin1DC boards combine CNC hardware features that in the past would require multiple printed circuit boards to perform the same functions, Oak, Allin1DC and Acorn not only reduce the CNC controller cost but also the installer benefits from huge time savings in the installation and building of the CNC controller as well as long term system reliability (common failure source such as PC board, cables and power supply elimination) all this decades long type of engineering and development was spurred on by listening to our customers.

Feedrate override controls for Acorn are provided on the screen with the VCP and through the WMPG wheel. (As well as spindle speed override).

In order to implement a potentiometer as an override control the CNC control motion control board would have to have an Analog inputs which Acorn does not. (Oak and Allin1DC control boards do have analog inputs and can use a potentiometer as a Feedrate override knob, in fact that has been a standard feature on Centroid industrial controls for 35 years:))

For Acorn we had to draw the feature set line somewhere in order to keep the Acorn price as affordable as possible for the DIY market and the footprint as small as possible, we largely made these technical feature set decisions by listening to our customers and applying our years of CNC building knowledge to those decisions. So, the solution to use the WMPG wheel as a combination, motion, spindle speed and feedrate override was made. This way the customer can have a nice large wheel to control the feedrate override as well as the spindle speed override. Small machine and large machine users alike enjoy the smooth action and versatility of the WMPG to control Spindle Speed, Feedrate on the fly in addition to the Jogging and setup and the operator controls. The WMPG is way more than just an MPG and customers love it, we put alot of effort into the firmware for this unit to provide industrial CNC performance at a DIY price.

We may implement a way to accommodate your request in the future but for now if you'd like to adjust the feedrate overide with a knob the $239 WMPG control pendant is the answer.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Acorn is driven by industrial grade software.
Centroid has most certainly listed to its customers. Adding the VCP which emulates their jog panel was one of those features. Then they made the VCP 2.0 customizable. Then it was strongly suggested that they come up with an MPG, they listened and came up with their wireless MPG, and for the money, it works quite well. Strongly consider it. Nearly everyone that has purchased it has been very happy with it.

Piece of trivia....did you know that the very first Acorn board was sans a spindle encoder port? They put an industry standard encoder port on it. Acorn can do single point threading and PECK rigid tapping ;)

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ