Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Mazak Impulse - Oak retrofit build log

Post by ashesman »

tblough wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:56 am3M VHB tape?
IGood ideas. I had originally thought about tape but the screen brackets are there to stiffen up the front so wanted a more rigid joint. Although with that much tape it would probably be ok..

Maybe I should do some tests on some tape.
ashesman
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by ashesman »

cncsnw wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:36 pm
ashesman wrote:After a fair bit of testing, I am pretty sure there is something gammy in Centroids spindle encoder zeroing function M150.
Does the problem only show up when the spindle has been running at comparatively high speed?

Try adding logic that ensures the spindle speed is below around 2000 RPM before you call M150.
I do the orient at 200 RPM. Or maybe 100. The spindle turns smoothly. I tried adding extra time to make sure it was turning at a stable speed. The key thing here is how it zeros exactly 90, 180, 270 degrees from where it should sometimes. I didnt even go any further with it. I know the signals are ok and I know centroid wont help so I sucked it up and replaced the VFD with a C2000 that will do the orient itself.
Titleiiarms
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

Cant remember your spindle setup and its too late now that you bit the bullet for a new VFD.. But I noted on my Comet/Viper conversion the old control setup/VFD drive used a seperate mag pickup attached to the the spindle shaft just below the belt drive. Had a curved magnet screwed right to it and a seperate encoder box to output the orient signals. I almost used it till I finally got the Yaskawa A1000 and add on board and then add on software/firmware to enable the card :) Pain it the rear but its slick once it works.
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

ashesman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:37 pm
IGood ideas. I had originally thought about tape but the screen brackets are there to stiffen up the front so wanted a more rigid joint. Although with that much tape it would probably be ok..

Another option would be to plug weld them from the back.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

tblough wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:31 pm
ashesman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:37 pm

Another option would be to plug weld them from the back.
I did plug weld all the others from the back with TIG. The mark on the outside is minimal but still probably noticable. I was hoping to powder coat it so can't use any fillers on the outside. I also can't get down the sides of the screen to weld unfortunately.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

I finally feel like I had a win today! After five VFDs, I finally have one that does everything properly. Well close enough anyway. It was a surprisingly large amount of work to get the Delta C2000 installed, wired and configured. There are no setup examples for tuning it nicely on an AC servo motor but eventually I got there.

I was also able to get rid of my PID loop for orientation in the Oak PLC too which was nice. It worked OK until it turned out there was a bug in the Oak where it did not zero the spindle encoder correctly every time! Took quite a bit of PLC code changes and testing to get it all back to a simple old digital IO orient!

Anyway, Delta C2000 is done. I think that the Hitachi SJ-P1 is a nicer VFD in almost every respect and would recommend it as my first option to anyone running an induction motor with/without orient or PM motor without orient. It is nicer to configure, has useable PC software with a USB cable, nicer wiring terminals and accessibility. Everything about it right from the packaging boasts higher quality. Was the same price too.
20211113_184450[1].jpg
Anyways, here is an example video of the C2000 running and orienting. 6000 RPM, 0.35s acceleration/deceleration times.

Now I can finally get back to finishing my control panel. God I know how to make a project take a long time!!!
Titleiiarms
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Titleiiarms »

Looking Good ! Love the persitence... I think we all go into these conversions with a plan for project costs and amount of time needed, then it gets blown clear out of the water in our pursuit to end up what we invisioned in the first place. Its a fun learning experience ( and costly at times) but we can take pride in what we created and actually fix the stuff that breaks down the road since we built it.. I know if I had to do it again with the same machine, it would go ten times faster. I enjoyed the conversion ( most of the time) but I did it to make a useless machine that had been a 9K lb boat anchor into a money making machine, and its starting to do that now .
Guy
Titleiiarms
Dilliner, PA
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

Time for the next installment... I finally crossed my fingers an closed up the electrical cabinet. The cabinet is inside the back of the machine, behind a secondary protective cover and then the coolant tank. So not a five minute job to get back in there if you need to, especially if the coolant tank is full! Just my luck, the coolant pump wouldn't work after I got the tank filled! Luckily I was able to remove a side cover and reach in blindly through a hand sized hole and push the thermal trip reset. I must have bumped it at some stage.

The last few months work has been focused on the front control panel. Quite a big job for me as I generally struggle with sheet metal. But happy to say it is all done now. Some pictures showing progress.

Sheetmetal after powder coating. Black wasn't my first choice but it seems there weren't a lot of options.
20211209_205207.jpg
20211209_210938.jpg
Cable entry sealing.
20211209_210629.jpg
Installing the parts in the front panel. 3M double sided tape for the tele and Loctite super glue for the jog panel and MPG holder. The MPG holder is 3D printed. You have no idea how long it took me to get the screen exactly centered in the opening
I couldn't have lived with it being crooked!
20211212_081243.jpg
USB ports for a USB dongle or wireless keyboard.
20211212_080950.jpg
Closeup of the jog panel. I was pretty happy with the fit. I was terrified glue was going to squeeze out around the edges!
20211210_192353.jpg
Foam seal around the edges and closing latches. Mainly to stop the front vibrating and any coolant getting in there. The vent holes in the back mean it is not actually sealed, but thaat is on the outer corner of the machine so not at risk of coolant splash. I was worried about the screen getting too hot. But turns out it is OK so probably didn't need the vents. I may put fine mesh on to keep the spiders out.
20211218_111256.jpg
20211218_113424.jpg
And the finished assembly. I have been running with an on screen keyboard only for a while now and think it is a great idea. Can still plug one in for the big jobs. Using "Hot Virtual Keyboard" so it can be customised.
20211219_205806.jpg
20211219_210042.jpg
I had a go tonight at running a test part. This machine has been behaving flawlessly with all the setup and testing I have done. As soon as I tried to do something useful with it it started playing up. Story of my life!!!

First the screen is not 100% happy when the spindle is running. Occasionally it loses signal from the PC for a few seconds. A bit of interference going on on the HDMI cable I guess. It wasn't a problem until the screen was in the control panel. Time for some extra earth wires and ferrites on the cables.

Then the spindle orient started playing up. It has never missed a beat since the Delta C2000 install. I have tried it probably 100 times. I do an orient at the end of homing so I can see it is in the right position and works. If it doesn't orient correctly and goes in to change a tool, it demolishes the tool changer. Ask me how I know! For some reason it is indexing in the wrong place. This happened in the past when the Oak was driving orient. I blamed the Oak but now I am not sure. Back then it was happening one out of three times. Not sure how I am going to figure that one out!

Then to top it off, the tool got stuck in the spindle. Seems that the little thingees up inside the spindle that release the tool are jamming. Never used to do this ever, only after sitting for nearly a year. I tried putting grease on a tool holders knob, and spraying a bit of CRC up there, but after running the tool for a while, the vibration causes it to jam. I don't really want to risk pulling the spindle out but may have to. It felt quite dirty up there when I put my finger in. Felt like there are ball bearings or something holding the tool in.

It is an uphill battle I tell you!!!
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

First the screen is not 100% happy when the spindle is running. Occasionally it loses signal from the PC for a few seconds. A bit of interference going on on the HDMI cable I guess. It wasn't a problem until the screen was in the control panel. Time for some extra earth wires and ferrites on the cables.
In my single experience with this so far, ferrites on the HDMI cable did not help, but ferrites on the spindle motor power wires (just below the VFD) did help.
ashesman

Post by ashesman »

cncsnw wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:19 pm
In my single experience with this so far, ferrites on the HDMI cable did not help, but ferrites on the spindle motor power wires (just below the VFD) did help.
Good tip. I will go to town with the ferries! Unfortunately there is a few meters of HDMI cable running alongside all the motor cables as there is only one way to get cables out of the cabinet.