Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473492883-0621192173
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: DMM/Acorn/Taig Build Thread

Post by BounceCycles »

It would be good if you posted the details, DMMDRV screenshot, what wiring diagram you used, screen shots of your CNC12 input and output screens. They would be of great help to other users doing the same thing.
Thank you
Marty
Sure thing. I'm just having a little trouble as I have just built a new PC but struggling to move all the settings and parameters over using the report function. As soon as I resolve will post some screen shots.
vtcnc
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by vtcnc »

Is there an update on this?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

vtcnc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:50 am Is there an update on this?
What sort of update are you looking for? Do you have an issue yourself? If so, create a new post with the details following this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
vtcnc

Post by vtcnc »

BounceCycles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:08 pm
It would be good if you posted the details, DMMDRV screenshot, what wiring diagram you used, screen shots of your CNC12 input and output screens. They would be of great help to other users doing the same thing.
Thank you
Marty
Sure thing. I'm just having a little trouble as I have just built a new PC but struggling to move all the settings and parameters over using the report function. As soon as I resolve will post some screen shots.
I'm inquiring about an update to your reply asking for details on the DMMDRV screenshot, wiring diagram used and input/output screens. I'm looking to use an AC servo as a spindle and curious about the details of the build.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

vtcnc wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 am
Thank you
Marty
I'm inquiring about an update to your reply asking for details on the DMMDRV screenshot, wiring diagram used and input/output screens. I'm looking to use an AC servo as a spindle and curious about the details of the build.
Take the time to use the search box for Servo as Spindle Motor, few have had success while others struggled.
Personally, I won't waste the time. I recently added an encoder to a 3 phase AC motor driven by a good VFD, belted at 1:1 with the spindle and it worked reasonably well.

My .02
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659

Post by Threedj16 »

Thank you
Marty
Was the comment directed at me? As I included prints in the first post and Centroid has single line prints in their print section. I am using the 1KW DMM servo motor and it is fantastic for a smaller table top mill (mine was a Taig, but hard to recognize it as that anymore). Standard 3-Phase motors are entirely too large to use on table top mills (but fine for a lathe since the spindle is in a fixed position). Only other good option is something like a treadmill motor/controller. Unless you are looking for router type high speed spindles, then 3-phase would probably be a better choice.

There shouldn't be much needed as for screenshots of the DMM software, as it comes setup to get you moving with the gains (but later you will need to tune it per the manual for best torque/speed and it's totally dependent on your spindle, so screenshot will do nothing here). You will need to make sure you use analog / speed mode in the DMM software and set the gear number equal to the speed desired (an achievable) for the moto (ie, 5k RPM at 10v then gear_number=5000). You'll also need to set your RPM in Wizard, but most should be pretty self explanatory.

Some of the confusion comes with people using the encoder out from the DYN4 to the acorn (other than 1 to 1). I don't use it as I have a speed increase ratio of 1 to 2. So I installed an encoder on my spindle.

The other issue seems a lot of folks have is noise. No idea why it's such a big issue with the Acorn particularly, but being careful to avoid all ground loops, shield all signal cables and keep AC power away from any low voltage lines/components and all should be fine. Been involved in several folks setups who had issues and all have been solvable with a little logical troubleshooting.

If you have a specific question about the setup, will try to answer. But it's hard to just overview everything, as everyone's setup is going to be somewhat different.
vtcnc

Post by vtcnc »

Threedj16 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:10 pm

Was the comment directed at me?
I think it is BounceCycles who said they would post an update if I'm following this thread correctly.

Regardless, I think I will start another thread as I seem to continually break some set of rules here about asking questions without starting a support request, that I don't seem to grasp yet. I'll re-read the rules. Sorry about the thread hi-jack.
Threedj16
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659

Post by Threedj16 »

Meh, no worries if you're asking a question about my build, as technically this is my build thread. Just haven't had time to finish some things or update due to another back surgery.