Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Using NC files that were posted for Mach3- same Mill

Post by lavrgs »

I don't know if existing NC are going to be usable with the Acorn. I have a bunch of programs used when running mach3. Can the GCode be run via Centroid. Same machine, but now I have the tools measured. Maybe there is a way to update the Tool numbers and tool lengths in the old NC files, or pause and measure. I only know simple mods to GCode but I'm learning...
Attachments
CAR_WASH_ROLLER.NC
(7.18 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: Using NC files that were posted for Mach3- same Mill

Post by tblough »

What happens when you graph the file on your controller? I did not load your code, but looking at the file, you may need to use a text editor to replace the "(" character with a semicolon. It looks like the previous controller used parenthesis to denote comments. Centroid uses a semicolon.

Currently your toolchandes do not call out a height index. You'll need to add that along with actually turning on height compensation after each tool change.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

The file shows that it was posted from Mastercam in May of this year, do you have the design file for it? If so, just repost it using the proper post. Otherwise, a little time in Notepad++ using find/replace would do it.
Scott
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I don't have Mastercam It was posted with a post processor that worked for my mill. It ran when I used mach3, maybe I should try a simple file and see what breaks 8-)
The file was created for me, if it was posted with a different post processor would it work? Does mastercam support centroid? Would a appropriate post processor be included or is there a cost? I found the original one on the Mach3 site so just provided it. Can the original post be modified to work? Pardon the newbie question - I've briefly looked at the post and recall changing an item for max spindle speed but I'm not versed into all the details; can it be modified to work with Centroid?
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Do yourself a favor and save a bunch of headaches...... Find a CAD/CAM package that has a Centroid Post processor. You will be dollars ahead.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:06 pm Do yourself a favor and save a bunch of headaches...... Find a CAD/CAM package that has a Centroid Post processor. You will be dollars ahead.
The one that comes to mind is Fusion 360 are there others? Would the trail version of 360 work? I'd rather try before buy
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

tblough wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am What happens when you graph the file on your controller? I did not load your code, but looking at the file, you may need to use a text editor to replace the "(" character with a semicolon. It looks like the previous controller used parenthesis to denote comments. Centroid uses a semicolon.

Currently your tool changes do not call out a height index. You'll need to add that along with actually turning on height compensation after each tool change.
I found some info on G83 problems skipping the first holes so I focused on fixing that; X and Y values were not included on the line, although it went to the position before going to drill the second hole I hacked in some tool number changes and offsets and think I am closer to being able to run a file posted for Mach3
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

When the CAM program processes the NC file, it is made based on the selected post-processor, which is controller specific.
While you might be able to get it to run on the Acorn, that just doesn't seem like the best idea.
Fusion360 you can get a hobby version for free, there is a dedicated centroid post processor.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The program looks like common Fanuc-style G codes. It graphs in CNC12 without errors.

As you note, the X/Y coordinates of the first hole in each drilling pattern is omitted, so to make it run right you need to set Centroid Machine Parameter 2 to a value of 2.0.

There is nothing wrong with comments in parentheses. A long time ago, Centroid did not allow parenthetical comments as line-end comments (only as full-line comments) but all recent versions (last ten years?) have allowed parenthetical comments to follow other codes on the line.

Always use F8/Graph to verify that no errors are reported, and that the toolpath looks like what you are expecting.

If you are curious about how Centroid G codes differ from standard G codes (hint: they don't) see http://www.cncsnw.com/PostProcessorsMill.htm
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

CNCMaryland wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:00 am When the CAM program processes the NC file, it is made based on the selected post-processor, which is controller specific.
While you might be able to get it to run on the Acorn, that just doesn't seem like the best idea.
Fusion360 you can get a hobby version for free, there is a dedicated centroid post processor.
After comparing Intercon files to the NC file there some basic similarities but Clearly the existing files need to be carefully modified to work. With that said I have one modified but only cut air. I am currently assuming the part of the files that cuts the geometry will work but if there changed required that would be the showstopper. Not being familiar with GCODE is my main issue - but I'm learning.

I downloaded Fusion 360 and after playing with the CAD side it's similar enough to CREO to be an easy transition. On the CAM side the programming seemed easy enough. With the hobby version I could only export one toolpath at a time - I don't see upgrading, in the near term, to get past that. Based on what I'm changing to get my old NC files to work it may be easy to combine multiple Fusion paths into one file...