CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: My Sherline chucker lathe & 5400 mill with Acorn control build

Post by BillB »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 pm
BillB wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 pm See my other post on this, do I create a totally custom configuration or start with a similar drive?
Consult with Sherline. I'd ask for their report and DB25 cable pin out and start with that. Restore their report provided their running 4.64 then load your license
I have the pin outs for the DB25 cable from Sherline, I’ve made my cable as per the diagram John provided. I have not set this up in the wizard yet.

What are you talking about here? (provided there running 4.64)? You talking CNC 12 version?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

BillB wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:41 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 pm
BillB wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 pm See my other post on this, do I create a totally custom configuration or start with a similar drive?
Consult with Sherline. I'd ask for their report and DB25 cable pin out and start with that. Restore their report provided their running 4.64 then load your license
I have the pin outs for the DB25 cable from Sherline, I’ve made my cable as per the diagram John provided. I have not set this up in the wizard yet.

What are you talking about here? (provided there running 4.64)? You talking CNC 12 version?
Yes. Version 4.64 of CNC12. You could simply ask for their working report and restore it on your system.

If you have the DB25 pin outs and made your cable,
Just go with DB25 bench test.
Go into the DB25 Wizard tab and assign the signals by the pin and then test for motor operation.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BillB
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by BillB »

I'm having issues getting my system running. Tried many sessions yesterday, I feel like I got a handle on it now and have my settings correct, but motors not spinning. I have created a custom driver config trying to get 1 motor to run. When turning on the driver box with 1 motor plugged motor is charged and locked but i get no movement.

Going to send Qs and this info to Sherline but have other basic Acorn questions for you.

Do you absolutely need to restart the computer along with CNC 12 and Acron after making changes? Many times I would make changes and they would not stick?

Is there a video on the DB25 test?

Is there a video on creating a custom configuration?

I have all my limit switches wired into H4 input 1 only. I do not have any limit switches going into H4 input 2. Is this ok? I don't get why the schematic has limit switches going into 2 inputs?

I have all limit switches for both mill and lathe wired into the system. 6 in total. 2 for lathe, 4 for the mill. I figured the system would never know there is more than a normal 3-4 since they are wired in series. I'm trying to simplify the process for changing machines, so I don't have to change and switch plugs every time. Could this cause any issues? All switches Including Estop work as expected in CNC 12 when tripped, I/O bench test is good as well.
martyscncgarage

BillB wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:21 pm I'm having issues getting my system running. Tried many sessions yesterday, I feel like I got a handle on it now and have my settings correct, but motors not spinning. I have created a custom driver config trying to get 1 motor to run. When turning on the driver box with 1 motor plugged motor is charged and locked but i get no movement. You will have to consult with Sherline on this one

Going to send Qs and this info to Sherline but have other basic Acorn questions for you.

Do you absolutely need to restart the computer along with CNC 12 and Acron after making changes? Many times I would make changes and they would not stick? If you are prompted to shut down and restart yes. If you are prompted to restart CNC12 Yes

Is there a video on the DB25 test? There is no DB25 TEST. Step and direction signals are present on those pins when DB25 is selected

Is there a video on creating a custom configuration? What do you mean by custom configuration?

I have all my limit switches wired into H4 input 1 only. I do not have any limit switches going into H4 input 2. Is this ok? I don't get why the schematic has limit switches going into 2 inputs? As long as your limit switches go in on the same input on Acorn, I would think you would be ok. Of course you will be using CNC12 Mill and lathe and installing them both. Replicating the same inputs and outputs for both machines

I have all limit switches for both mill and lathe wired into the system. 6 in total. 2 for lathe, 4 for the mill. I figured the system would never know there is more than a normal 3-4 since they are wired in series. I'm trying to simplify the process for changing machines, so I don't have to change and switch plugs every time. Could this cause any issues? All switches Including Estop work as expected in CNC 12 when tripped, I/O bench test is good as well.
Mesa, AZ
BillB

Post by BillB »

Is there a video on creating a custom configuration? What do you mean by custom configuration?

Creating a machine profile. “Custom configuration”
Attachments
239373A2-74C3-499C-AAFF-88A68AF3AF5F.jpeg
BillB

Re: My Sherline chucker lathe & 5400 mill with Acorn control bui

Post by BillB »

I’ve been in touch with Sherline guys, John told me to turn off the green button on DB25 page in settings, I hade it on. This makes no sense to me but that’s what he told me. Did that and still no motor movement. What the heck is going on? Getting pretty frustrated. I need some one on one help, going to see if I can get on the phone with john tomorrow to see it the problem is on the Sherline side of things. Going to look at support options with Centroid as well. Do you offer any phone or support? If yes what do you charge for your time?

Question
I’ve been noticing some very inconsistent behavior or at least it looks like it with my Ethernet port on the PC. I think also on Acron side. Hard to keep track of it. Seams like the green light goes out quite a bit and stays out. Maybe even the orange light? a few times on boot up the connection between Acron and PC will not connect, so had to shout down and start over. It seams like the Ethernet port is not active as the lights are not blinking. I jiggle the cable and or unplug it and plug it back in and it fixes it. But then maybe moving the PC around will mess up the connection again. Seams like a loose socket? It seams very finicky. Very frustrating now this is another variable that could be screwing everything up???? How do I know for sure when writing to the control the data has been sent to the board correctly.

How should the lights be? Green solid and orange flashing? What is happening when the lights go out?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the connection is not lost? I was just thinking adding some thickness with tape to the connector to keep it tighter in the socket?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

BillB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm Question
I’ve been noticing some very inconsistent behavior or at least it looks like it with my Ethernet port on the PC. I think also on Acron side. Hard to keep track of it. Seams like the green light goes out quite a bit and stays out. Maybe even the orange light? a few times on boot up the connection between Acron and PC will not connect, so had to shout down and start over. It seams like the Ethernet port is not active as the lights are not blinking. I jiggle the cable and or unplug it and plug it back in and it fixes it. But then maybe moving the PC around will mess up the connection again. Seams like a loose socket? It seams very finicky. Very frustrating now this is another variable that could be screwing everything up???? How do I know for sure when writing to the control the data has been sent to the board correctly.

How should the lights be? Green solid and orange flashing? What is happening when the lights go out?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the connection is not lost? I was just thinking adding some thickness with tape to the connector to keep it tighter in the socket?
Aren't you the same guy using a laptop to run your Acorn? Laptops are not recommended exactly for this reason.
martyscncgarage

BillB wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm I’ve been in touch with Sherline guys, John told me to turn off the green button on DB25 page in settings, I hade it on. This makes no sense to me but that’s what he told me. Did that and still no motor movement. What the heck is going on? Getting pretty frustrated. I need some one on one help, going to see if I can get on the phone with john tomorrow to see it the problem is on the Sherline side of things. Going to look at support options with Centroid as well. Do you offer any phone or support? If yes what do you charge for your time?

Question

I suggested to you that you ask Sherline to send you a REPORT from their Acorn system that is controlling their Sherline drive box. At least you would have a working starting point. Ask for their report. F7 Utility, F7 Create Report.
Then you can load (F2 RESTORE REPORT) it into your Acorn system. It will say its from another system. That's fine. Once loaded then you reload your License file.

As far as your Ethernet behavior. PLEASE post a FRESH report from your CNC12 system. F7 Utility, F7 Create Report.
You can go in and look at your logs and see if you have any PC/MPU Resends. F7 Utility, F9 Logs, F1 Errors.

As Shawn asked, are you using a standard PC or a Laptop? Laptops are not recommended. Some work, some don't work so well.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
BillB

Post by BillB »

No laptop that was one of my 1st questions when I started this build. I purchased the Lenovo think center you recommend to me Marty. Here is the EBay listing.
Attachments
8936288E-83B0-41A0-8948-CAA7EEDAE316.png
martyscncgarage