CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Retrofit 2.0 TREE J325

Post by lavrgs »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:42 pm
lavrgs wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 pm One area of control that I am working on is to find relays to use for E-Stop, spindle fwd/rev. I may not have enough I/O to run all the relays shown but I would appreciate some help with identification - manufacturer - vendor?
Is 1 a time delay?
relays.JPG
Yes, relay 1 is a time delay (didn't you have some sort of spindle brake? Read the tags on the wires going to the relay sockets)
Relay 2 is the forward control of the spindle, the one next to it is for reverse
Relay 3 is for MIST control

I'd probably reuse the relays you have. You just need to know their coil voltage. Usually on the relay itself.
Then just feed that voltage through the appropriate output relay on Acorn and let it fire the larger relay.
Marty I am starting from scratch, I am "stealing with pride" from SLODAT's J425 build thread since my machine is similar. I must admit he set the bar very high but it does provide an excellent roadmap
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I am reviewing the VFR manual in preparation for figuring out how to use the relays, that are now on order. There are options for 5 modes, and it sounds like wire proof PLC mode would be the one I'd use (a reasonable guess but if not,- the others are CD type interface, Mentor type interface, wire proof mode, PLC and wire proof PLC mode..whew) I haven't even gone through the multi level of parameters should one of the other modes is used
This connections for PLC are fairly simple; pin 26 Jog, Pin 27 Run & Pin 28 fwd/rev all shown as switched. I will include the page that covers this area...I am looking forward to researching a VFD that allows me to use single phase 220vac 8-) I shouldN'T complain 'cause this VFD could probably resolve world peace....
Attachments
pg187 -unidrive-manual.pdf
(75.71 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

DMM Parts arrived yesterday, one of the Styrofoam clamshell that protects the motor had a big hole punched in it from a pretty serious drop on the encoder end of the motor. I contacted DMM and will proceed with testing but I don't need any extra challenges... The first drive/motor has been wired up and tested.
There still seem to be some confusion with documentation over setup but maybe when tuning can be done it will work out. The paperwork that was delivered said to set the gear number in the DMM program and the step/rev in the wizard to 8000, this conflicts with Marty's bench testing but he does mention that the set up was for bench testing. initially getting things to turn is the goal and performance enhancements will come when installed on the machine.
Wiring is my worst subject but I hope to just go slow and double/triple check stuff. IMHAHO the DMM schematic is a bit over the top with dual emi filers and line reactors...etc. When I spoke with them they said the second emi wasn't required and the fuses could be eliminated ( I got fuse holders and fuses 'cause it's cheap insurance) but my plan is the skip the second emi filter and use one BIG HONKIN' line reactor on the incoming 3PH 220 - their docs say that one line reactor would suffice but I'll just have it further up the line.
I was going to try and reuse the timing pulleys from the existing motors and got DMM motors with the 1/2 inch (12.7mm) shaft - I missed that it doesn't have a key, instead it has two flats for set screws(?). I will need to find a 12 tooth replacement that is for a 3/4 wide belt, Y axis uses 15 tooth and I haven't counted Z.
EDIT: All motors bench tested ok. I need to tweak the controls for the contactors
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I bought a 24VDC power supply to drive contactors etc. Meanwell EDR -120-24 it can supply 5 amps but when I hook up three contactors it won't pull them closed - two will work. Contactor is a Fuji SC-E03-24. Is it possible that the 24 coils are pulling more than 5amps, can't seem to find that data.
EDIT Well it turns out that if I hook them up in parallel no problems. - this electrickery is hard 9-)
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I assume you mean SC-E03G-24VDC.

See https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static ... mc9150.pdf, page 4, under "DC Coil Characteristics". They should only require 7W each.

Perhaps you got a faulty power supply.

You could try measuring output current; loading it with resistors and measuring output current; or testing it by closing multiple contactors in sequence, rather than all at once (though the above document suggests that for DC coils, the inrush current is no higher than the holding current).
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

cncsnw wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:45 pm I assume you mean SC-E03G-24VDC.
Yes - I edited my original post to update that wiring the coils in parallel solved the problem
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

voltage ac..JPG
The circuit for DYN4 below shows 24VAC I'm assuming that should be DC
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That depends on whether you choose to use a contactor with a 24VDC coil, or you choose to use a contactor with a 24VAC coil.

Historically, Centroid has favored contactors with 24VAC coils.

That is why I asked to you clarify whether, when you wrote "SC-E03-24", you meant "SC-E03G-24VDC" or "SC-E03-24VAC". Either could be used, given an appropriate power source.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

OK I missed the 24VAC note early on and got appropriate items for 24VDC. Is the AC stuff quieter or is there another reason for the preference?

I believe what I have is now wired correctly and only has one software (?) Issue.
I wrote a program to spin the motors and wanted to test the E-Stop. It stopped everything , however when I release the E-Stop it it starts everything. Do I need to set up something to induce a fault, or is this normal?
Attachments
report_402E71CADC40-0323214550_2021-05-16_14-18-08.zip
(625.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by lavrgs on Mon May 17, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lavrgs