Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

LenelyWolf
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

Post by LenelyWolf »

tblough wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm It would seem to me that if you are looking for a "spare", then for $50 more than you are talking about paying, your get a spare Acorn board with a spare BBG that has been installed, tested, and guaranteed to work.
Ok so now u get me because I don’t know what u mean by that… for apparently discounted $199 I get replacement acorn with bbg but you have to demolish the old one… for $299 you get whole kit with acorn bbg and all extras… but there is NO option to get spare acorn board with bbg (tested and installed) without extras or without breaking the old board… right? So why not let customer buy that acorn board with bbg (installed tested) without those extra for full acorn and bbg price. $249 was my guess for full price for acorn and bbg (installed and tesed) so ok why we don’t have that option? Why if someone want to buy a spare have to also buy that extras (by extras i mean relay board, power supply, ethernet cable) ? I really don’t know how can I make this more clear
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

frankly selling a bare acorn board without the power supply, power supply cable and shielded ethernet cable would cause massive tech support since many would use an incorrect power supply and ethernet cable. We provide known tested and supported parts in the kit to maximize customer success and minimize tech support. Acorn is sold in kit form with the proper cables and power supply this helps us keep cost LOW. if we sold bare board i'd have to increase the price above the kit cost just to cover the tech support and 'warranty' claims involved for providing support for a power supply and cables that we didn't' sell.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

cnckeith wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm frankly selling a bare acorn board without the power supply, power supply cable and shielded ethernet cable would cause massive tech support since many would use an incorrect power supply and ethernet cable. We provide known tested and supported parts in the kit to maximize customer success and minimize tech support. Acorn is sold in kit form with the proper cables and power supply this helps us keep cost LOW. if we sold bare board i'd have to increase the price above the kit cost just to cover the tech support and 'warranty' claims involved for providing support for a power supply and cables that we didn't' sell.
Ok that makes sense… but that still can be protected by selling the bare acorn only to people who already bought the kit… same as with swap out… i tell u serial number on my kit board and then you will be able to sell me the bare acorn board. You can even protect it by asking for picture of that board… maybe name under it was purchased… so the question still remains the same
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

we are keeping costs as low as possible by minimizing purchase transaction overhead by using web sales (no human involved phone orders, no emails orders etc) as soon as i have to have a warm body 'take" an order like the one described above the cost of that has to be rolled into the product being sold which is significant. maybe some day when i get a more sophisticated ecommerce website can i automate such an order and keep humans out of the loop to continue to keep costs low.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

cnckeith wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:13 pm we are keeping costs as low as possible by minimizing purchase transaction overhead by using web sales (no human involved phone orders, no emails orders etc) as soon as i have to have a warm body 'take" an order like the one described above the cost of that has to be rolled into the product being sold which is significant. maybe some day when i get a more sophisticated ecommerce website can i automate such an order and keep humans out of the loop to continue to keep costs low.
Ok… well it was just a suggestion and feedback from me. I will have to buy the whole kit because I don’t have a heart to break functional acorn into 2 peaces. That should keep me happy until next fireworks 😂 (caused by me obviously 😉)… Anyway adding to the feedback I really love the hardware, software still getting used to but so far so good, support is also excellent here. So keep doing great job 😉
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Hi.. last question. I bought new acorn kit with mpg. I want to keep my old acorn in my machine until everything is set and then replace it with new acorn and keep my old acorn for setting other machines. I want to try the MPG so I will need the licence. Is it ok to buy the licence for old acorn and then transfer the licence to new acorn once everything is set and new acorn is installed or is it too much hustle?
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

License is tied to the Acorn. You'll need to reload the correct license file in CNC12 after swapping the Acorn boards.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

tblough wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am License is tied to the Acorn. You'll need to reload the correct license file in CNC12 after swapping the Acorn boards.
Hi..
Thanks… any link to some video or documentation how to do it?
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

LenelyWolf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:07 am
tblough wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am License is tied to the Acorn. You'll need to reload the correct license file in CNC12 after swapping the Acorn boards.
Hi..
Thanks… any link to some video or documentation how to do it?
Never mind.. i found it.. sorry
dlewis69

Post by dlewis69 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:54 pm So, your Lenze drive is a DC spindle drive.
DO you know if it has built in SIGNAL Isolation?
It is not a standard VFD.

IF your Acorn will no longer pass the spindle bench test, then my guess is that you blew the Spindle Analog Output on Acorn.

Please explain with a sketch how you wired Acorn to the Lenze drive.
Trouble shooting a new build here. Passed all my bench test but it seems I have blown the output like you mentioned here. Is that a new BBB or new Acorn or can I fix? TIA