Hardinge Accuslide Retrofit

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

roundel325
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hardinge Accuslide Retrofit

Post by roundel325 »

Since there are a few similar builds from various forum members going on right now, I thought I would post a little about mine.

It is a Hardinge DSM with (I think) a relatively early Accuslide CNC conversion. I acquired it already converted from the old Fagor control to a PlanetCNC control with Leadshine closed loop steppers. I opted to ditch that control and change to Acorn with DMM DYN2 and .4KW NEMA23 servos because I am familiar with CNC12 and DMM as I have a VMC the uses the same setup. I retained the HY VFD because it was already in the machine. Hopefully it proves itself to be reliable.

The build closely follows the published Acorn schematics and some of Marty's videos (thanks Marty!). I'm trying out a Dell 7350 tablet PC in this build because I think it makes a nice compact package, includes a good touch screen, saves space and wiring in my cramped control cab, and makes for easy sparing. I have a second identically-imaged tablet in a drawer so it can be swapped out in seconds if there is a computer or software issue. Also quite cheap. I got them on ebay for $125 each.

Right now I have all the 110v work complete with axis motion, automatic ZRI homing, spindle encoder, and relay controlled collet closer, coolant pump, and oil mist for the collet closer. Next on my list is to run my 220v line, power up and configure the VFD, and make some first chips. After that, set up my pneumatic bar puller, tidy all the wiring, and reinstall the motor/way covers. I will update as I get this stuff done.

As an electrical engineer who no longer gets to wield a soldering iron professionally, I love doing these Centroid retrofits. However, I'm trying not to to become a CNC hobbyist. I use these machine tools for my true passion: making mechanical clocks! This lathe will be setup with a bar puller to batch out arbors, standoffs, pendulum bobs, and all manner of cylindrical parts I make for my clocks.

Thank you to the forum for your wisdom and patience!
Lathe
Lathe
Accuslide
Accuslide
Control Cab
Control Cab
Spindle Motor
Spindle Motor
Spindle Encoder
Spindle Encoder
IMG_5825.jpg
All parts (except ball bearings) made on my Acorn-powered Mill
All parts (except ball bearings) made on my Acorn-powered Mill
Last edited by roundel325 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ecdez
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No

Re: Hardinge Accuslide Retrofit

Post by ecdez »

Your Accuslide appears to be the same vintage as mine. Looks real good!
slodat
CNC11: No

Post by slodat »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the photos. My Accuslide is the "rock solid" version and is somewhat different. I'd love to see more photos of your clocks.

What VMC did you convert to Centroid? Photos/details?
roundel325
CNC11: Yes

Post by roundel325 »

Wanted to update my thread with a video showing the lathe batching out the first operation on a run of clock arbors. Pneumatic collet closer and barpull gripper are working.

A 2mm shoulder is turned onto 3mm precision ground 303 stainless rod and then parted off to length. Programed in intercon. Running CNC12 version 4.64 is stable for my usage. Thanks to the support forum!