Purchased a new Ether1616 board but it is not autodetecting in CNC12 Wizard (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Purchased a new Ether1616 board but it is not autodetecting in CNC12 Wizard

Post by Richards »

This is a puzzle. I just rechecked everything on my test bench by plugging in all three devices.

The computer can ping both the Acorn at 10.168.41.2 and the 1616 at 10.168.41.3.

Because I don't normally have the 1616 board connected to my bench test machine, as soon as I started CNC12 Mill, the program alerted me that it had found a new device. The 1616 shows up as expected in Wizard.

On my unit, I have a jumper on A0. The 7-segment LED outputs a moving line that moves between three positions every two or three seconds. When I hot-swapped ethernet connections between the tp-link switch an a netgear switch, the 1616 LED showed other values everything was reconnected and the VCP's reset was pushed.

Nothing is connected to my 1616 board except its power supply and the ethernet cable. I switched the ethernet cables around from device to device with the same results. I tried a Netgear switch and got the same results. On my 1616 board, both ethernet LEDs are solid on. On the TP-link switch, I have fast flicker on all three active ports. The Netgear switch has a different LED output that shows the link speed as well as activity. The PC shows that it is connected at 1-gigabit while the Acorn and 1616 show that they connect at 100 megabit (as expected).

EDITED: Marty posted while I was writing. I found the section about DHCP and IP addresses, that he referred to, on page 4 of 10 of the last section of the manual. (Scroll past the schematics. That last section starts with the SONGLE RELAY.)
-Mike Richards
Arthur
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087C2F400-0530192077

Post by Arthur »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:00 pm Page 58:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _guide.pdf

Read the top of page 54 to set a static IP address or set the jumpers to DHCP.
Marty,

I am familiar with jumper settings on page 54. The board came set to A0 address, which corresponds to 10.168.41.3 IP address, so I decided to keep the settings since this is the only expansion board that I am planning to utilize in my setup. I haven't try using DHCP setting mainly because I am not running DHCP server on this network setup. There is no router involved in this setup to assign IP addresses to the nodes. The only network device in this setup is the switch, which is level 2 network device that has no way of operating IP addresses and it only utilizes MAC addresses. Am I missing anything, here? I have contacted tech support and they issued an RMA for me to return the board for farther testing. Currently my E1616 board is in the mail back to Centroid and I have never been suggested to run any sort of testing on IP scheme.

To clarify: My PC - Acorn tandem works just fine and as I mentioned earlier I can ping E1616 board from the same PC running CNC12 using default setting of A0 = 10.168.41.3. In my humble opinion there is a disconnect from Acorn to E1616 (Acorn doesn't logically see E1616 Expansion Board although it is wired properly according to its manual). I would appreciate to be suggested any kind of troubleshooting over the phone, but I was referred to this forum to seek for answers.
Last edited by Arthur on Tue May 04, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Richards wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:17 pm This is a puzzle. I just rechecked everything on my test bench by plugging in all three devices.

The computer can ping both the Acorn at 10.168.41.2 and the 1616 at 10.168.41.3.

Because I don't normally have the 1616 board connected to my bench test machine, as soon as I started CNC12 Mill, the program alerted me that it had found a new device. The 1616 shows up as expected in Wizard.

On my unit, I have a jumper on A0. The 7-segment LED outputs a moving line that moves between three positions every two or three seconds. When I hot-swapped ethernet connections between the tp-link switch an a netgear switch, the 1616 LED showed other values everything was reconnected and the VCP's reset was pushed.

Nothing is connected to my 1616 board except its power supply and the ethernet cable. I switched the ethernet cables around from device to device with the same results. I tried a Netgear switch and got the same results. On my 1616 board, both ethernet LEDs are solid on. On the TP-link switch, I have fast flicker on all three active ports. The Netgear switch has a different LED output that shows the link speed as well as activity. The PC shows that it is connected at 1-gigabit while the Acorn and 1616 show that they connect at 100 megabit (as expected).

EDITED: Marty posted while I was writing. I found the section about DHCP and IP addresses, that he referred to, on page 4 of 10 of the last section of the manual. (Scroll past the schematics. That last section starts with the SONGLE RELAY.)
This confirms that I have no active communication from my E1616 board, because on my switch the port link indicator connected to E1616 is not flickering, but solid green.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Arthur, you said:
I just went through the entire manual again and couldn't find a single word about seven segment display readings...

I gave you that info.
I just happened on the jumper settings and shared them.

We're out of ideas...call Centroid support if you just got the board.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by eng199 »

LED1 7 segment display seems to be causing confusion.
*Swirling pattern during start is normal and only lasts a few seconds if set for static IP
*Center most segment will light if ETH1616 is ready to run, but is not receiving data
*3 middle segments will scroll when running with good communication
*Error numbers flash and light the decimal point. If the decimal point is not lit, it is not an error number.

Try starting cncm.exe, not CNCWizard.exe.
In the cncm directory, there is a file named eth1616log.txt.
Post the contents of eth1616log.txt after running cncm.exe.

It seems like some firewall or antivirus settings blocking cncm.exe from the ETH1616. However, that would be odd since cncm.exe and ACORN can communicate. Usually exceptions allow all traffic for a particular program.

Sorry I took too long... you already sent it back.
Richards

Post by Richards »

I'm still wondering about your IP address. You wrote that you're using IP address 10.168.1.43. When I ping 10.168.1.43, I don't get a response. Please check that address. I can't find that address in the 1616 documentation. My documentation says that the address for the 1616 board with the jumper set to A0 is 10.168.41.3. The address of the Acorn is 10.168.41.2 and the address of my PC is 10.168.41.1.

You wrote that you're using a Level-2 switch. I'm not trying to be nit-picking, but I want to make sure that we're all on the same page. The TP-:ink switch and Netgear Switch that I've used for testing purposes are both Level-1 switches. I call them "dumb switches", not because they are dumb, but because there is no user software to configure them. The Level-2 switches that I have are user configurable. They allow me to restrict network traffic by MAC address, i.e., I can enable or disable any device if I know it's MAC address. The Level-3 switches that I have are routers. They allow me to route traffic between the various subnets in my network using IP addresses. They also have all the functions of a Level-2 switch; however, neither the Level-2 switches nor the Level-3 switches are usable out-of-the-box without configuration. The TP-Link and Netgear Level-1 switches are ready-to-go without configuration.

Now let's discuss subnet masks. A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that the first three quadrants of an IPV4 address must match exactly. The '0' means that up to 254 unique devices can be used on that network (address x.x.x.0 is the network address and address x.x.x.255 is the broadcast address, so those addresses are reserved). That brings us full-circle and it explains why I'm curious about the IP address that you listed (10.168.1.43). That address cannot be seen by an Acorn that uses the standard address of 10.168.41.2. It should not be visible from a PC with the address of 10.168.41.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0; however, it would be visible and could be pinged if the subnet mask were 255.0.0.0 (which is the default subnet mask for the 10.x.x.x subnet). It would also be visible to the PC and could be pinged if the subnet mask were 255.255.0.0. I'm assuming that the Acorn has been factory programed with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

I'm guessing that you had a typo that listed the wrong IP address for your 1616 board. If that is actually the 1616 boards address, then we have a classic mismatch between networks. (Those kinds of mismatches are very common. One of my customers recently moved one of his VoIP phones to a different location in his business. He didn't realize that the new location was on a different subnet. That network issue the phone a new IP address via DHCP but only some of the phone's functions worked. I had to reconfigure the port-fowarding values in the Level-3 router/switch to extend to both networks for the phone to function properly.)
-Mike Richards
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Richards wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:52 pm I'm still wondering about your IP address. You wrote that you're using IP address 10.168.1.43. When I ping 10.168.1.43, I don't get a response. Please check that address. I can't find that address in the 1616 documentation. My documentation says that the address for the 1616 board with the jumper set to A0 is 10.168.41.3. The address of the Acorn is 10.168.41.2 and the address of my PC is 10.168.41.1.

You wrote that you're using a Level-2 switch. I'm not trying to be nit-picking, but I want to make sure that we're all on the same page. The TP-:ink switch and Netgear Switch that I've used for testing purposes are both Level-1 switches. I call them "dumb switches", not because they are dumb, but because there is no user software to configure them. The Level-2 switches that I have are user configurable. They allow me to restrict network traffic by MAC address, i.e., I can enable or disable any device if I know it's MAC address. The Level-3 switches that I have are routers. They allow me to route traffic between the various subnets in my network using IP addresses. They also have all the functions of a Level-2 switch; however, neither the Level-2 switches nor the Level-3 switches are usable out-of-the-box without configuration. The TP-Link and Netgear Level-1 switches are ready-to-go without configuration.

Now let's discuss subnet masks. A subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that the first three quadrants of an IPV4 address must match exactly. The '0' means that up to 254 unique devices can be used on that network (address x.x.x.0 is the network address and address x.x.x.255 is the broadcast address, so those addresses are reserved). That brings us full-circle and it explains why I'm curious about the IP address that you listed (10.168.1.43). That address cannot be seen by an Acorn that uses the standard address of 10.168.41.2. It should not be visible from a PC with the address of 10.168.41.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0; however, it would be visible and could be pinged if the subnet mask were 255.0.0.0 (which is the default subnet mask for the 10.x.x.x subnet). It would also be visible to the PC and could be pinged if the subnet mask were 255.255.0.0. I'm assuming that the Acorn has been factory programed with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

I'm guessing that you had a typo that listed the wrong IP address for your 1616 board. If that is actually the 1616 boards address, then we have a classic mismatch between networks. (Those kinds of mismatches are very common. One of my customers recently moved one of his VoIP phones to a different location in his business. He didn't realize that the new location was on a different subnet. That network issue the phone a new IP address via DHCP but only some of the phone's functions worked. I had to reconfigure the port-forwarding values in the Level-3 router/switch to extend to both networks for the phone to function properly.)

I absolutely agree with all you said above. I am just being blind typing and correcting my own posts here. If you go back to my original post, where I attached few screen shots of my PC, you can see that I ping 10.168.41.3 for E1616 board. I'll go back and correct the mistyped addresses. I apologies for loosely used "Level 2" terminology which I inherited from Cisco 7 Layer studies. All switches and bridges are considered to be Level 2 network devices unless they are user configurable as you fairly noted.

PC IP address is 10.168.41.1 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
E1616 board address is 10.168.41.3
Acorn IP address is 10.168.41.2
Last edited by Arthur on Tue May 04, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

eng199 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm LED1 7 segment display seems to be causing confusion.
*Swirling pattern during start is normal and only lasts a few seconds if set for static IP
*Center most segment will light if ETH1616 is ready to run, but is not receiving data
*Error numbers flash and light the decimal point. If the decimal point is not lit, it is not an error number.

It seems like some firewall or antivirus settings blocking cncm.exe from the ETH1616. However, that would be odd since cncm.exe and ACORN can communicate. Usually exceptions allow all traffic for a particular program.

When I added the Ether1616 to my control cabinet I ran into a similar intermittent issue. The Ether1616 would or would not be recognized by the Acorn, and the LED's on the switch were not consistent to the Acorn from the switch and to the Ether1616 from the switch.

I was able to identify the cause of the failure was the included Ethernet cables(Startech?)- there was an intermittent connection in the over-molding of the RJ48 plug on both cables. I could move the cable in the over-molding and get everything to work while holding the cable. Since I was going to replace them with shorter cables anyway, I just ordered two shorter shielded cables and have had no issues since - unless I start CNC12 before the Acorn boots up and I have the heartbeat. I think my total cost was about $7 for both with free shipping, about the same cost as shipping the defective cables back to Startech or Centroid.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

RogDC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:47 pm
eng199 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm LED1 7 segment display seems to be causing confusion.

When I added the Ether1616 to my control cabinet I ran into a similar intermittent issue. The Ether1616 would or would not be recognized by the Acorn, and the LED's on the switch were not consistent to the Acorn from the switch and to the Ether1616 from the switch.

I was able to identify the cause of the failure was the included Ethernet cables(Startech?)- there was an intermittent connection in the over-molding of the RJ48 plug on both cables. I could move the cable in the over-molding and get everything to work while holding the cable. Since I was going to replace them with shorter cables anyway, I just ordered two shorter shielded cables and have had no issues since - unless I start CNC12 before the Acorn boots up and I have the heartbeat. I think my total cost was about $7 for both with free shipping, about the same cost as shipping the defective cables back to Startech or Centroid.
I have had flakey StarTech cables. One last week infact.
I thought I suggested he swap cables or get a replacement too..
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

This is the kind of information that I was looking for in the manual and couldn't find. This could have been crucial puzzle piece in educated troubleshooting, but now I have to wait to receive E1616 board back to test it out.

Thanks!