Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

Post by Richards »

The unfortunate part of being a DIYer is that many times that parts you have on hand cannot be used in your project. It appears that your motor drive can not/should not be used with the Acorn. That tells me that it's time to investigate other motors/drivers that are compatible with the Acorn.

In my case, I've used three methods. The most simple was to use an Acorn output relay to turn a contactor's coil on and off. The contactor controlled the motor. That method did not allow the Acorn to control the direction or the speed of the 1-phase motor. The second option was to use a VFD and 3-phase motor from AutomationDirect. That option gives me forward/reverse and speed controlled by the Acorn. The third option was to use a DMM/DYN4 drive and a 0.75HP servo. That method also gave me forward/reverse and speed controlled by the Acorn, but I wasn't satisfied or confident that the servo was the correct motor to use with my application, so I put the DMM stuff back on the shelf for future use in another project.
-Mike Richards
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Richards wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am The unfortunate part of being a DIYer is that many times that parts you have on hand cannot be used in your project. It appears that your motor drive can not/should not be used with the Acorn. That tells me that it's time to investigate other motors/drivers that are compatible with the Acorn.

In my case, I've used three methods. The most simple was to use an Acorn output relay to turn a contactor's coil on and off. The contactor controlled the motor. That method did not allow the Acorn to control the direction or the speed of the 1-phase motor. The second option was to use a VFD and 3-phase motor from AutomationDirect. That option gives me forward/reverse and speed controlled by the Acorn. The third option was to use a DMM/DYN4 drive and a 0.75HP servo. That method also gave me forward/reverse and speed controlled by the Acorn, but I wasn't satisfied or confident that the servo was the correct motor to use with my application, so I put the DMM stuff back on the shelf for future use in another project.
Thanks.. problem is to chose the right one. I’ve been on AutomationDirect UK seller and they have only AC motor drive so I can’t use that on my DC motor. I can replace motor for ac but I need at least 5000rpm out of that motor and I haven’t found AC one which does more then 3500rpm. The only dc motor driver I found are Chinese ones where there’s little or no information about them so i’m stuck in front of my pc looking and looking
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

We're kind of at a loss because you are in the UK. We don't know what suppliers are available to you.
I recently did a Prolight 1000 mill for a client. It had a 3450rpm motor on it. I used a Sensorless Vector VFD to drive it to 5000rpm.
He was going to do soft metals. SO, you could find an inverter duty rated motor and purchase a Sensorless Vector Drive like the Automationdirect.com GS3 series. Make sure you buy a braking resistor for it. VFD will let you overdrive the motor.

I'm surprised you can't find a KBSI240D in the UK. Had you tried EBAY.UK? Even in the US, I believe some folks will ship overseas.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Black Forest

Post by Black Forest »

This firm has new and used units in Germany. They also have an office in the UK. Try them for the KB controller.
https://www.radwell.de/de-DE/Buy/KB%20E ... KBSI-240D/
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am We're kind of at a loss because you are in the UK. We don't know what suppliers are available to you.
I recently did a Prolight 1000 mill for a client. It had a 3450rpm motor on it. I used a Sensorless Vector VFD to drive it to 5000rpm.
He was going to do soft metals. SO, you could find an inverter duty rated motor and purchase a Sensorless Vector Drive like the Automationdirect.com GS3 series. Make sure you buy a braking resistor for it. VFD will let you overdrive the motor.

I'm surprised you can't find a KBSI240D in the UK. Had you tried EBAY.UK? Even in the US, I believe some folks will ship overseas.

I found the KBS1240D on ebay from us seller.. problem is that last time I ordered something from ebay US seller it took 2 months to get here plus customs charged me more for the tax then i actually bought it for. Plus there is a risk that it won’t work and I’ll end up with wasted 2 months and god knows how much money.
Can you perhaps find a proper VFD for the motor I’ve got in US?... I won’t mind to buy the vfd from US and pay for customs if i won’t find it here. I just can’t find anything here

My dc motor
https://inverterdrive.com/group/Servo-M ... sthom-GEC/
martyscncgarage

LenelyWolf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am We're kind of at a loss because you are in the UK. We don't know what suppliers are available to you.

I found the KBS1240D on ebay from us seller.. problem is that last time I ordered something from ebay US seller it took 2 months to get here plus customs charged me more for the tax then i actually bought it for. Plus there is a risk that it won’t work and I’ll end up with wasted 2 months and god knows how much money.
Can you perhaps find a proper VFD for the motor I’ve got in US?... I won’t mind to buy the vfd from US and pay for customs if i won’t find it here. I just can’t find anything here

My dc motor
https://inverterdrive.com/group/Servo-M ... sthom-GEC/
Variable Frequency Drives work on AC 3 phase motors. NOT DC motors.
You should call Lenze and talk to their support staff. Let them know you controller requires Isolation on the 0-10V analog lines. They may have a solution.
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

As Marty explained, a DC motor requires a DC drive. If you can't find a DC drive in your area that is compatible with the Acorn, then you can still use a 3-phase motor, VFD, and pulley to get the speed that you need. A motor spinning at 3,400 RPM would need a 1:1.5 pulley to produce 5,100 RPM at the spindle. (Actual RPM would be less because of slippage, so choose the ratio that will give you the working RPM that you need.) Going UP in speed reduces torque, so if you go that route, select a motor that has sufficient torque when geared up.
-Mike Richards
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Richards wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 am As Marty explained, a DC motor requires a DC drive. If you can't find a DC drive in your area that is compatible with the Acorn, then you can still use a 3-phase motor, VFD, and pulley to get the speed that you need. A motor spinning at 3,400 RPM would need a 1:1.5 pulley to produce 5,100 RPM at the spindle. (Actual RPM would be less because of slippage, so choose the ratio that will give you the working RPM that you need.) Going UP in speed reduces torque, so if you go that route, select a motor that has sufficient torque when geared up.
Sorry.. I meant DC drive and not a VFD... I can’t pulley the rpm more then 1:1 ratio unless I completely replace the whole z axis which would be mammoth task. Therefore I need the motor to have at least 5k rpm.
martyscncgarage

A VFD can increase a 3 phase motor speed by increasing the frequency. It can also reduce the motor speed by reducing the frequency. If top speed is your sweet spot then you should be ok. Low speed torque may suffer on a 3450rpm motor. It's also why I recommend a sensorless vector drive.

If it were me, I'd talk to Lenze.

What is the HP of your DC Spindle motor? Picture of the label? I'm surprised you can't find a similar company in the UK.
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Here is an example of a DC drive with regenerative/reversing capabilities: http://www.kbelectronics.com/data_sheets/kbrg.pdf
Mesa, AZ