Just purchased the wireless MPG - better than MPGs on MACH 3?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Chris D
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: ACORN 4447
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Just purchased the wireless MPG - better than MPGs on MACH 3?

Post by Chris D »

Greetings,

After reinstalling all the software and reconfiguring things, I ended up having issues with the Shuttle Express device. While I liked it, it isn't a substitute for an actual MPG. Having been working with CNC machines since the late 70s, I have become accustomed to the precise control the MPG provides.

This was one of my complaints with MACH3 and the implementation of the MPG with various controller boards such as Smooth Stepper etc. The MPG on those systems works similar to the center dial on the Shuttle express - lag time, no steps with every click, catching up with buffered steps, etc. In other words, it was simple NOT precise safe control.

For those of you that have used MPGs on industrial controls/machines, does the Centroid wireless MPG work like an MPG on an industrial machine with precise, predictable control and behavior? I won't have mine till Wednesday so just trying to manage my expectations before I take it out of the box and play with it.

Chris
LenelyWolf
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Just purchased the wireless MPG - better than MPGs on MACH 3?

Post by LenelyWolf »

I’m subscribing for this topic since I’m about to buy MPG soon. I’m working with CNC since 2000 and I haven’t seen wireless MPG even on the high end industrial machines and I think there might be a reason for that. I also do a lot of CAM programming and I know nothing wireless isn’t 100% reliable there too (like space mouse) so I would guess to rather go for wired..
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

LenelyWolf wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 am I’m subscribing for this topic since I’m about to buy MPG soon. I’m working with CNC since 2000 and I haven’t seen wireless MPG even on the high end industrial machines and I think there might be a reason for that. I also do a lot of CAM programming and I know nothing wireless isn’t 100% reliable there too (like space mouse) so I would guess to rather go for wired..
Centroid's wireless MPG works quite well.
The closest you will find to wired for Acorn is the Contour Shuttle Express (Same device used by Tormach)

You want wired MPG, currently you have to step up to All in Once DC or Oak.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
fusion
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0479B7ADF2F3-1127192707

Post by fusion »

I have one on my mill at home, and I love it. It is just as precise as the MPGs on the Haas machines where I work. Plus its better for setups since you can set it on the table while your leaning inside the machine putting eyes on the tool or setup.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

yes the Centroid wireless MPG is way better than MPG's on Mach3 you won't regret the purchase, most cant live without it (including me)))
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

Wow, love the comments so far.

The next step of my system commissioning requires a lot of indicating and the dialing in of positions for various things on the machine. I broke 1 indicator the other day with the shuttle express (rotated the outer ring instead of the inner ring - stupid mistake) which led to the decision to go with the MPG. Love the concept of the Shuttle Express, however, I think I am a bit "too much of an old dog" for it.

Chris, anxiously waiting the MPG!
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

The shuttle expresses cool but it's nothing compared to the wireless MPG once I use the centroid wireless MPG you won't want to use anything else. 😁
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

Greetings all, I received the Wireless MPG today.

As I mentioned above, the MPG on MACH3 with an external controller sucks at best and really deters from overall quality of both Mach and the external controller board. I have used both wired and wireless MPGs with MACH 3 and both performed poorly at best. That was one of two main reasons I abandoned the MACH software.

I tried the Shuttle Express - didn't expect it to perform like an MPG and really liked the concept of it. After using, I REALLY liked the concept of it and even could tolerate its "pseudo" MPG functionality. Unfortunately, after using "real" CNC machines / controls for over 4 decades, switching to another controller is not working good for me.

I got the Wireless MPG today, plugged it in, and hoped for the best. It actually works like an actual industrial class MPG!!!!!! Didn't get much wheel time with it, but it certainly feels responsive with out excessive run-on while it clears the buffer. The "Step Pace" seems to keep up very good with the "Click rate" of the MPG - no lagging and no missing steps.

The unit feels solid, has a great rubber cover (which has to be removed to install batteries), good display, good membrane keys, good rotary knobs, a good feeling MPG with positive feel detents at each increment.

Overall, this is not what I expected, it is far better than my expectations (being I thought it would work like MPGs on the MACH 3 software).

There is one oddity I am hoping someone from CENTROID will clear up though. The instructions tell you to get the handle for the MPG from the battery compartment and attach it to the MPG wheel. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL........

I found one there and 8 more of them in the box - YUP, THAT IS RIGHT, I HAVE 9 TOTAL HANDLES!!!!!

Either someone was watching videos on their cell phone while packing this, OR, it is expected that the handle will break every few months and CENTROID tool positive action to provide spares :-)

I will let CENTROID answer to that.

This weekend, if time permits, I will get plenty of wheel time with the unit and may find different results after using it a lot, I certainly hope not!

At this point in time, Bravo to Centroid for making this Wireless MPG work as it should work - just like the industrial MPGs found on the "real" machines!

Chris D
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

You'll never doubt us again!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ha! thanks... pop the extra handles in an envelope if you don't mind.
send to Centroid attn: Liviu 159 Gates Rd. Howard, PA 16841