Configuring a 4 axis Allin1 with partially missing A axis Motor/encoder/Axis hardware

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

cncot
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: console 104030 SysId 0008DC111213-1202202505
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Configuring a 4 axis Allin1 with partially missing A axis Motor/encoder/Axis hardware

Post by cncot »

Gentlemen:
I am wiring up my Allin1 and DC1. to retrofit my Anilam 1100.
I have planned to build, (perhaps buy) the 4th rotary axis motor/head/chuck, TBD.
I may want to deliberately not use the 4 th axis until I can make parts for it using the 3 axis only at first.
I have a 4th motor from the Anilam 1100 I am retrofitting; this was working when removed.
It has about 3 Megohms to the shaft from the power terminals, so I have to replace it.
I have installed an Eaton High speed semiconductor fuse model TJS15 in series with each of the the 4 motor Positive power lines.
Can I use the condemned motor(it runs on a power supply fine) temporarily as a dummy 4th axis (no load)?
The fuse would blow faster than the existing series fuse on the axis if a fault occurred ( unlikely, since I would limit the speed/voltage and current to a minimum)

If I seriously limit the maximum speed during configuration will that limit the maximum voltage out of the drive?
Or are you switching rail to rail as in an H bridge? Then the voltage would be full on or full off, thus putting maximum voltage stress on the motor?
I don't know if the servo drive is analog or fast switching as in an H bridge design, for example... I WOULD like to know this!

How do I get as far as possible in the wiring and software configuration and then tell the system the 4th axis is temporarily disabled in Hardware/software?

The 2 control cabinets are on the bench close to the mill, I am old and I don't want to sit on the floor and wire once the cabinets are installed bolted to the sides of the mill !!
Warm Regards, Mike
polaraligned
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Configuring a 4 axis Allin1 with partially missing A axis Motor/encoder/Axis hardware

Post by polaraligned »

My 2 cents,

The 3 megs is probably from dust from the brushes. I would open it up and carefully blow it out.

Almost certainly PWM is used to control these DC motors, so they would be seeing full voltage. They are speed controlled by changing the duty cycle of the pulse they receive.

To disable the 4th axis, just go to F1-Setup → F3 Config. F2-Mach → Motor F2. Make the axis label "N" and it will be disabled. My 4th axis motor is just sitting on the floor waiting for me to attach it to a 4th when I get one. Been that way for years, lol.
cncot
CNC Control System Serial Number: console 104030 SysId 0008DC111213-1202202505

Re: Configuring a 4 axis Allin1 with partially missing A axis Motor/encoder/Axis hardware

Post by cncot »

Thanks!
It would be great if Blowing the motor could prevent blowing the motor (and drive)!!😁 the other motors read open, how many meg ohms will doom the motor?
I don’t see how I can configure the software while the motor is disconnected. In my case do you think it is safe to use the motor temporarily in the manner I described?
How do I find your discourse on the DC 1 wiring?
Hope someone can answer the questions about the servo power stage!
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

If your motors are running at 180v, 3 megs can pass 60 uA which is a very small current. I personally would not worry.

The A axis is disabled exactly as I described above. Motor connected, motor disconnected either way you can get to that screen and disable the A axis.

As for the DC1, look on the previous page of posts and the title is something like DC1 limit switch problems. Certainly not a discourse, but it shows the problems I encountered which primarily were that the E-stop contactor tripped every time the DC1 limit tripped. Maybe there is some sort of setting to prevent this, but I could not find one and nobody else pointed me to a setting. I now have my DC1 limit wired right to an input of the PLC and it works great.

And to answer your last question, the output of the drive is certainly an H bridge.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Here is the tech bulletin for testing servo motors from Centroid:
https://centroidcnc.com/dealersupport/t ... ds/155.pdf
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Take a look here regarding 4th axis Toggle (From the Mill Operator's Manual). I have not tried it but perhaps Marc/Tom will chime in on its use.
4th Axis Toggle.JPG
Parameter 131.JPG
Mesa, AZ
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

I use the toggles for both my 3rd and 4th axis. I regularly run my 3rd axis (quill) in manual mode and my rotary table is normally disconnected when not being used. having a button the setup screen makes it really easy to disable and enable those axis motors. All this setting really does is provide a button to change the axis label on the setup/motor tab.

These are my settings:

P130 = 493.00000 - Z axis on/off selection
P131 = 11.00000 - Fourth axis on/off selection

P131 for my fourth axis has it turn off only the power for the fourth axis when the button is pressed, used "A" for the axis designation when enabled and "N" when disabled. This axis is easy - when it's disconnected I don't want the motor powered and I don't want it to show up in the DRO list.

My Z axis selection is a little more complicated since I have a glass scale to provide position information when the motor (and it's encoder) are disconnected. P130 sets encoder input #5 when disconnected, axis label "Z" when connected, and axis label "@" when in manual mode.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Parameter 131 and the fourth-axis toggle are a handy feature, intended specifically for dealing with a fourth axis that you do not want to have connected and usable at all times.

As Tom notes above, it is equivalent to changing the axis label back and forth between 'N' and 'A', 'B', etc., but without the need to go into the configuration menus.

Using P131 also gets you some special handling in G code processing (notably in the homing macro): if your homing macro contains commands like "M91/A" and "M26/A", but your machine does not have an axis labeled "A", that would normally cause a parse error. However, if P131 is set to indicate that sometimes there is an A axis, even though it is not in use right now, then CNC12 will give you a pass on the error, and just skip over those codes.
polaraligned

Post by polaraligned »

As I noted above, just change the A to N on this screen:
Attachments
IMG_4131.JPG
martyscncgarage

polaraligned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:01 pm .

As I noted above, just change the A to N on this screen:
Sure that works....
But Centroid accomodates a 4th axis and its connection to the control with a button....
Mesa, AZ