Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Controlling spindle direction through relay

Post by LenelyWolf »

Is there any way to control spindle direction through relay? If so how do I connect it. please see attached schema I have made
Attachments
tempImagedOCmZL.gif
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Controlling spindle direction through relay

Post by ShawnM »

You control spindle direction through signals to the VFD.
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

ShawnM wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm You control spindle direction through signals to the VFD.
Yes.. but I don’t want to overload VFD when changing direction so I have added the relay. Actually the relay was there originally so I guess it is there for some reason. I just can’t work out how to connect it back with acorn
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Looks as if you actually have a DC brushed motor and DC controller there, not a VFD. Doesn't it have a direction control input?
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Muzzer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm Looks as if you actually have a DC brushed motor and DC controller there, not a VFD. Doesn't it have a direction control input?
Yes it is DC brushed motor with dc controller. I don't think it has direction control input. It is Lenze534 controller. here is a link to the controller documentation http://www.lenze.org.ua/pdf/530_Speed_c ... 202_EN.pdf
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Yes, page 30 answers the question. There's no forward / reverse input, you have to use a relay as you first suggested. It says you must ensure the motor has come to a rest before changing the motor polarity (using the relay) - by providing a delay after telling the spindle to stop.
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Muzzer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:26 pm Yes, page 30 answers the question. There's no forward / reverse input, you have to use a relay as you first suggested. It says you must ensure the motor has come to a rest before changing the motor polarity (using the relay) - by providing a delay after telling the spindle to stop.
Thank.. So do you know how to connect it based on my diagram?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Can you PLEASE provide the details of the machine, (pictures) the size of the DC brush motor, voltage (picture of its nameplate)
etc. Did you buy this motor/drive to put on your machine? Did it come with the machine?
Seeing the bigger picture would yield better suggestions on how we would approach the situation.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 am Can you PLEASE provide the details of the machine, (pictures) the size of the DC brush motor, voltage (picture of its nameplate)
etc. Did you buy this motor/drive to put on your machine? Did it come with the machine?
Seeing the bigger picture would yield better suggestions on how we would approach the situation.
Marty
Hi Marty... sorry for the late replay. I’m still looking for the answer or rather confirmation. I have asked this question when I had no idea about how acorn works so also sorry for vague question. I know little more know (still dummy) but still learning. I’ll try to answer all your question. The lenze 534 driver (link to manual above) came with the machine same as the dc servo motor (parvex RS420JR1000). It is 220v input and I believe 100v output driver. The direction has been originally controlled by large 24V relay (RHK412B). I’ve got it all wired up and it runs fine. When I add voltage to the relay the direction of the spindle change.

Question1
I have already set one of the acorn output relay for ‘VFD direction’ which switch on at m4 and off at m3. Question is can I run 24V straight out of 5amps power supply through acorn output relay to switch the big relay? Will the acorn relay handle it and is this the way of doing it?

Question2
If question one is confirmed then how can I provide delay when switching direction to wait for the spindle to stop. I haven’t wired up encoder yet but it will be ready in few weeks. Is there any option in cnc12 to wait for the spindle to stop? Can the encoder be used to tell when the spindle stop and then change direction?
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by polaraligned »

Not up on Acorn as I use Centroid DC servo drives, but if the Acorn relay output is a mechanical relay driving another relay, it is fine. You will only be drawing a handful of milliamps to close the other relay.

As for item #2, time delay relays are readily available.