CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

BBuild thread for Shapeoko3 XXL Conversion and upgrades

Post by swk »

Hey Guys,

I know you all like pictures and details, so lets see what we can do here. (Mods, if this is the wrong section for this sorry, let me know how to correct)

Machine in question is Shapeoko3 XXL with CNC4Newbie screw drive Z axis. (The stock Shapeoko Z assembly is quite weak and tends to flex in the Y axis)

Having ran into issues wanting to cut harder/denser materials and add additional things such as spindle control, dust collector control, better tool and part probing, the existing GRBL electronics and drives are at their capabilities limits.

So far I think I have the layout of the board finalized and wired up correctly and we have passed a partial bench test of stepper drive (still have to work out slaving the 2 Y AXIS motors.)

Upper Left: Power Supplies, Lower Left: Computer, Upper Right: Acorn and Acorn IO, Lower Right: Motor Drive
wires and Terminal blocks are color coded so I can remember what I was thinking.

Starting in Upper left quad
Green is Chasis Ground and matches to yellow/green GND DIN Blocks.
white is mains neutral and black is mains line. (These are isolated in wire management just for mains voltages)
Red is VDC and Black is Com

Power supplies provide 5VDC (stepper Drive signalling and other), 12VDC for Computer, and 2 - 24VDC Buses. Bus A for Acorn and support equipment power, Bus B for Stepper Drive. Mean Well DIN Rail PSUs used here. (Note: if you are reading this to figure out some of the things you need, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the PSU that comes with an Acorn kit, I wanted din rail mounting everywhere possible)

Lower Left Quadrant
Computer is Super Micro X10SDV Mini ITX Xeon D-1541 with 64G Ram and 250G M.2 NMVe (purchase cost new $1000 USD, This is being recycled from a different project so I get to count that as $0 right guys?)
Orange Terminal Blocks indicate 12VDC, and as everywhere else (save the 120VAC power) black is common.
Included here are DIN Rail Mounted USB Hub and DIN Rail Mounted Ethernet Switch.

Upper Right Quad
Red 24VDC Bus A
Black Common
Acorn and included 8 channel IO board.

Bottom Right quad
Red 24VDC Bus B
Black Com
Blue 5VDC bus

Some details
The SuperMicro computer used here has built in IPMI/IPKVM dedicated ethernet port that allows you to remote control the machine via web interface. (for those that are not familiar with IPMI, it allows you to remote control power and other features even if the operating system is broken or not even installed). The system also has 2 - 1Gig Ethernet Connections and 2 - 10G ethernet connections (honestly I'll probably never use the 10G connections on this system) Ethernet 1 (1G) is dedicated to Acorn Control, Ethernet 2 is for accessing this machine Via VNC, and transfering job files to the machine.
Ethernet Switch is to allow a single Ethernet Connection to be dropped to the machine and provide connectivity to both ethernet 2 and IPMI.
USB Hub is to allow addition ports for Keyboard, Mouse, Touch Screen, and remote Control panel, and possibly a pendant in the future)

Stepper Drivers: these DM556 Stepper drivers require inverting the Enable Signal in the wizard advance stepper driver screen.
5VDC is used for the logic input on the DM556, or you need to add an external resister between you 12 or 24VDC power feed to the stepper drivers on PUL/EN/DIR + side to limit current and form a voltage divider with the internal resistors. I chose to just go 5VDC as I had that PSU handy.

I'll post more configuration details as I figure it out.

Next piece, nice to have but not required. Touch screens are cool and all, but nothing beats real buttons. As I do build retro arcade cabinets, I had some buttons and 4 way joysticks laying around. So why not Green Joystick is X/Y, Red stick is Z (possibly rotary later)

This uses a readily available game controller USB Adapter and Antimicro (https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro) for converting buttons/joystick to keyboard input.

More pictures can be seen below in the imgur gallery.
https://imgur.com/a/pzFGQDi

Thinks to do: get the locations of connections on the rest of the electronics box worked out. Get the cooling situation worked out. (I'm near Memphis with solar oven that thinks its a shop). Figure out relay/contactor with current handling for Dust Collection. Getting the cheap 2.2kw VFD/Spindle kit playing nice and more.

Any questions feel free to ask guys..
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: BBuild thread for Shapeoko3 XXL Conversion and upgrades

Post by cnckeith »

nice thanks for posting. the wireless MPG is a joy to use highly recommended.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ndant.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: BBuild thread for Shapeoko3 XXL Conversion and upgrades

Post by ShawnM »

Certainly a great start and thanks for sharing. I would highly recommend shielded wires for the drive signals from the Acorn to the drives.