ShopBot Acorn ATC retrofit

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

Toaster
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ShopBot Acorn ATC retrofit

Post by Toaster »

Check out the attached report. As I said in the video there are a couple of pauses in there I need to remove, but it does work just fine.

Check out Mfunc6, and the mass measuring script is Mfun90. The ones that take the shoe on and off are M81 and M82.

The tool measure script is M52.

What kind of ATC setup do you have?
Attachments
report_74E18288DD00-1016181237_2021-02-20_16-37-09.zip
(748.51 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
RogDC
CNC12: Yes

Post by RogDC »

I have the CNC Depot S30C and a 10 position rack set up on linear rails with pneumatic actuators at the far end of the table on Y Axis so the rack retracts beneath the gantry so I can maximize my work area without losing space for the ATC Rack.

I was able to measure the tool fork locations using Swissi's Probe App and start modifying the Mfunc6 macro. Since I am not using the homing switches to validate my spindle location I am utilizing your report as guidance and modifying the 4.6 tool fork mFunc6 macro starting out. I may implement the machines' limit switches later to validate spindle location depending on how things work out, as the limit switches on X and Y will be near the dust shoe parking location.

Seeing your video of the ATC macro operation makes it easy to understand the macro in relation to how it operates.

I'll try to post a short video of the process to measure the tool position in the fork using the Probe App. It makes locating the tool holder locations a breeze. Thanks to Swissi for the input on how to use the app in this application.

I still need to make my dust shoe fork for the tool rack which I hope to have time to get to it next weekend. Once I have the fork installed, and machine coordinates where the dust shoe will be 'parked', I can modify the macros for removing and replacing the dust shoe.

My dust collection setup is different from most ATC setups as I have two 4" dust hoses on left and right side of my spindle, so my tolerances are tighter than most setups with my new dust shoe to clear the tool holders and forks. The math has all worked out to this point and the new dust shoe clears the tool holders in operation (fingers crossed).
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

I was going to do a sliding tool rack, I actually have all of the parts around to do it, but on my particular machine I had JUST enough space to have it in a fixed location so I opted to do that. For me less moving parts is less stuff to go wrong. The only thing I "gave up" was the ability for my machine to hang the spindle out over the end of the table. That's useful if you want to mount something vertically and work on it. I've needed to do that exactly zero times in 5 years so I think I'll be OK.

As far as locating the tools I just used the built in "bore" probing routine in Centroid. All I did was put a tool holder in a fork, bring the spindle down over the tool and run the bore probing routine. The location pops up on the screen and I just typed it into mfunc6. Easy.

Do you have an Avid machine? I've been seeing a lot of those dual pipe dust shoes around on those lately. Is the dual pipe better? My guess is that with that setup you're going to have to have the tools spaced out a lot...

If you do a dust dock, I'd recommend setting up a switch or two for it. I was out of inputs so I didn't wire them up, but I'd like to have one that can confirm the dock is in the holder, and another to confirm that it's on the spindle. That way it'll error out and stop the tool change cycle of something's amiss. I may get an expansion board and do it.
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Toaster wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm Do you have an Avid machine? I've been seeing a lot of those dual pipe dust shoes around on those lately. Is the dual pipe better? My guess is that with that setup you're going to have to have the tools spaced out a lot...
Yes, I have an Avid Machine - not the reason I went with dual hoses, but went with two 4" hoses as I have a dedicated cyclone for the CNC which has a 7" inlet, so I reduced the pipe down to 6" before the 4" wye and ran two 4" hoses which allows the same area as one 6". The dual 4" is definitely better in my experience, but I have the capacity to run both from a CFM standpoint. If you don't have 6" or larger to run two 4" you may not see a benefit.

I was able get my tool holders to 4.25" spacing center to center on the rack.
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

I'd like to see pictures of your setup!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Everyone should take the time to post their successful builds in the Success Stories Forum. Post a summary of the build, pictures, and even a video clip showing it doing its thing, pan to the console. That's the best thanks you can give us for the help you received here and to inspire others as well.
viewforum.php?f=57
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
JasonPORC
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by JasonPORC »

This is great info! I’m using the same spindle and am about to work on programming the ATC as well very soon. I can’t wait to come back and ask a million questions. Ha ha! Thanks for sharing all of this info!
Toaster

Post by Toaster »

A little update... I had some free time today and I finally finished my air blast to make sure the tool I'm picking up is clean. It works like this https://photos.app.goo.gl/zh5HEboCNbY6P74A9
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Looks Great!