v4.62 Router: Issue with Y axis homing since upgrade from 4.20.1 Mill <answered>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: v4.62 Router: Issue with Y axis homing since upgrade from 4.20.1 Mill <answered>

Post by cnckeith »

Gerald , im not sure what you are referring to. what is your suggestion.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
gerald martin
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: v4.62 Router: Issue with Y axis homing since upgrade from 4.20.1 Mill <answered>

Post by gerald martin »

Keith, read Scott's post, he explains it well. A user wanting to use a custom cncm.hom file, as of now, needs to:

1. Select "Wizard to generate automatic home program" so that the M91/M92 selection boxes are not greyed out
2. Set the M91/M92 boxes per axis so each axis looks for a homing switch in the correct direction
3. Write the changes to CNC12 and restart the software
4. Go back into the wizard and select "I will create my own home program"
5. Write the setting change to CNC12.
6. Exit CNC12 and copy the user cncm.hom file to the c:\cncm directory
7. CNC12 now has correct M91/M92 values written into the PLC program and will work fine with the custom cncm.hom file.

Does this all make sense? Or is there something I missed?

Gerald
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

yeah.. that is what you have to do when creating and using a custom home program. not sure what you are suggesting still.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by Sword »

Keith,

I (and apparently Gerald & Eric) have a custom home file that uses M91 for X Y homing, so here's the scenario.....

1. You've done a fresh install and copied over your custom cncm.hom
2. You start setting things up in the wizard and in homing and travel, the first thing you do is set "I will create my own" and "Automatic".
3. When you do that, the M91/M92 drop boxes are disabled, but are populated with the default values of M92 . You think, that's okay, my .hom file takes care of it and you write the settings.
4. Upon homing, you'll find that CNC12 obeys what was in the wizard and not what is in your .hom file. Homing then fails and you look at the machine thinking "what the", it worked before!

Solution....

1. Go back to the wizard and choose "Wizard generated"
2. Only then can you set M91 for the X Y and do so.
3. Then re-select "Create my own" and write settings.
4 Homing then works as before.

I've just gotten used to going to the bottom of the page and set the M91 first before setting "Create my own".

Scott
Scott
Sword

Post by Sword »

It would seem we have a blockage here. :D I'll see if I can make a video of it.

What it is, is that you are led to believe that once selecting "Create my own" (working from the top of the page down) and the M91/M92 boxes are then disabled, that CNC12 will ignore those defaults and use what is in your .hom file. That's not the case.
Last edited by Sword on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
gerald martin

Post by gerald martin »

Thank you, Scott. I now understand what happened, and how to fix it. I suspect that most anyone wanting to use a custom cncm.hom file would run into the same issue.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

gerald martin

Post by gerald martin »

Thank you Keith! That is super helpful - I wondered where the wizard was writing the info to, and you showed us. This makes sense. The video will make it much easier for users with a custom homing file make sure the correct values are in place and prevent unexpected behaviors.

Gerald
Sword

Post by Sword »

Thanks Keith! A question though then, why gray out or lock the drop downs for those settings then when they still need to be set properly? That's what causes the problem that has been encountered here when we choose to create our own first (or having already copied it over) and those are locked out from being able to be set properly. I would think that the only time they would be locked, would be if you've chosen "simple homing". Just looking to understand the reasoning. ;)

Scott
Scott
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

in regards to the Wizard and custom (non wizard generated) functionality: custom is custom meaning if you are going to make a custom PLC, macro, home program etc.. it is up to you to use the parameters and menus in CNC12 to set things up properly to support those custom scripts. (you actually don't even need the wizard if you use all the CNC12 parameters and setup screens and have plc editing skills ) the Wizard sets and creates all the parameters, home files etc.. for you based on your selections. it is a separate program from CNC12. that being said we have been adding bits of convenience for customizers into the wizard, where to draw the line? hmmmmm