Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4031
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Budget touch probe options?

Post by ChrisAttebery »

Muzzer wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:58 am I bought a used Renishaw MP1s from ebay...
Darn you Muzzer! Darn you all to heck! (hopefully you get the movie reference.

I've been browsing eBay the last few days. Today this Renishaw CAT50 MP3 probe was posted for $150. The seller was a used tool store in Santa Cruz about 30 miles from my house. I drove over this afternoon and picked it up. While I was there I picked up a Jacobs branded R8 to JT33 arbor. I turned a 4" OD x .75" thick aluminum disk into a adapter. I still need to drill and tap the holes to mount the probe and I need to either drill a hole or turn a groove into the face of the adapter to clear the audio jack.

I ordered some chinese probe styli from eBay. Hopefully they show up in a reasonable time frame.

IMG-8598.jpg
IMG-8599.jpg
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

Result!

I bought some of the Chinesium probe tips after I "tested" the original one that came with the Renishaw probe (I dragged the cable through it). The main issue with them was the runout of the replacements. There's a lot of adjustment possible with the Renishaw, so this wasn't a problem but let's just say it needed a fair bit of movement. As long as the ruby tip is reasonably spherical, it doesn't matter so much.

I paid $28 each, which could be worse https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 0127674634.

For the 5 pin DIN (audio) plug, I soldered an crimp eye to the connector body to hold the plug in place using one of the threaded (M3) holes.
ChrisAttebery

Post by ChrisAttebery »

I'm still waiting on my MP3 to show up. Apparently there are "Mechanical issues" with my delivery.
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

I misunderstood your first post on this page - I thought you'd driven over to pick it up?

I'm sure the wait will be worth it. These are fine instruments and you paid a great price.
ChrisAttebery

Post by ChrisAttebery »

I posted in my build thread here:
viewtopic.php?p=45550#p45550

The MP3 I purchased from the used tool dealer was DOA. I wound up returning it and buying a NIB MP3 off eBay. The MP3 was supposed to show up yesterday but apparently it has been delayed due to "Mechanical problems" which means they probably shipped it to Siberia. I also bought a used MI8 probe interface off eBay to go with it. I received it last week and it's all hooked up and ready to go. I even managed to receive the probe tips from China.

For the record I spent $300 on the MP3, $90 on the MI8 and $70 for three probe tips. I wound up with a professional grade probe solution for under $500.
Muzzer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 pm I misunderstood your first post on this page - I thought you'd driven over to pick it up?

I'm sure the wait will be worth it. These are fine instruments and you paid a great price.
ChrisAttebery

Post by ChrisAttebery »

I finally received the NIB MP3 yesterday. The calibration sheet was dated 1996. I measured the resistance across the pins and it was around 120 Ohms. It’s alive!

I mounted one of the cheap probes and got it centered in about 5 minutes. I opened up ProbeAppV2 and tried out a few different routines, 3D corner, bore, angle, etc. It worked perfectly. Yea!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ChrisAttebery wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 am I finally received the NIB MP3 yesterday. The calibration sheet was dated 1996. I measured the resistance across the pins and it was around 120 Ohms. It’s alive!

I mounted one of the cheap probes and got it centered in about 5 minutes. I opened up ProbeAppV2 and tried out a few different routines, 3D corner, bore, angle, etc. It worked perfectly. Yea!

Sounds cool Chris. Post a video once you have it all sorted out. Explain what you bought, how you wired it up and demo it.
Nothing like seeing cool things users are finding, trying and getting to work!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ChrisAttebery

Post by ChrisAttebery »

I ordered a tripod mount for my iPhone. Once it shows up I’ll shoot some videos.
ChrisAttebery

Post by ChrisAttebery »

I posted a video here: