DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn + Clearpath success stories?

Post by martyscncgarage »

teknic_servo wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 am
Dave_C wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:53 pm Question:

At one one time were we not told to use 1K ohm resistors? [Page 47 of the Clearpath manual] Now I see they are saying 10K Ohm resistors.

Edit: I'm using the SDHP series, not the "stepper Killer" version.

Dave C.
Dave,

The ClearPath manual is being updated this week with the following information:

* Use 1k ohm resisitors for 5VDC and 10k ohm resisitors with 24VDC
* The Step Input Timing error is being added to the Blink Code chart starting on page 156.

Thanks,
Tom T
Tom, your presence is appreciated on the forums. Would you please drop back when the updated manual is available and post a link?
Thank you,
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Gary Campbell »

Tom...
Agree with Marty. Thank you for participating. Your comments are appreciated.

OEM tech participation helps ensure that quality, most time definitive answers are posted to many questions.

Unlike most of the internet :roll:
Last edited by Gary Campbell on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Dave,

* The Step Input Timing error is being added to the Blink Code chart starting on page 156.

Thanks,
Tom T
So how much damage have I done to my 24vdc step outputs by having the requested 1K ohm resistors installed for the last few years?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
teknic_servo
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by teknic_servo »

Dave_C wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 am
Dave,

Thanks,
Tom T
So how much damage have I done to my 24vdc step outputs by having the requested 1K ohm resistors installed for the last few years?

Dave C.
Hi Dave,
No damage. It will likely work well to deal with step timing issues but the resistor may get warm to hot with 24VDC. The 10k ohm should be cooler.
Tom T
carboncymbal
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038

Post by carboncymbal »

jpmsteadi wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm Just to chime in here with a success story: I did an install of clearpath SHDK NEMA34 servos on my PM-728VT conversion and it went smooth as silk. The motors are for sure overpowered in this setup, but its nice to know there won't be any issues with them. Getting 3000 mm/min rapids on all axis and I am sure I could push it higher, but don't really want to on ways. Have yet to loose a step anywhere. If anyone has any questions on how stuff was wired or whatnot please don't hesitate to reach out!
Would you mind sharing a photo of your panel? Also, are you using the resistors? Have you taken steps to mitigate EMI/RF interference? Where is your VFD located relative to Acorn?

I’m just curious about how your machine is configured. I’m starting to develop an opinion that the interference issues may actually be due to EMI interference harming the quality of the acorn output sign, and simply that the clearpath is one of the few systems out there that detects such issues and alerts the user by faulting.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

carboncymbal wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:02 am
jpmsteadi wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm Just to chime in here with a success story: I did an install of clearpath SHDK NEMA34 servos on my PM-728VT conversion and it went smooth as silk. The motors are for sure overpowered in this setup, but its nice to know there won't be any issues with them. Getting 3000 mm/min rapids on all axis and I am sure I could push it higher, but don't really want to on ways. Have yet to loose a step anywhere. If anyone has any questions on how stuff was wired or whatnot please don't hesitate to reach out!
Would you mind sharing a photo of your panel? Also, are you using the resistors? Have you taken steps to mitigate EMI/RF interference? Where is your VFD located relative to Acorn?

I’m just curious about how your machine is configured. I’m starting to develop an opinion that the interference issues may actually be due to EMI interference harming the quality of the acorn output sign, and simply that the clearpath is one of the few systems out there that detects such issues and alerts the user by faulting.
Carboncymbal,
You are "developing" a theory. Do you have a scope to do some testing to prove the theory? It's better to test and if a problem surfaces, try and provide data.

I'm waiting on parts for my back panel and then I will assemble it and be in a better position to test and provide data. Until then, I'll hold back any comments.

Build your panel and do some testing... collectively we can see what we come up with, if at all.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Centurion
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn Mill (11) System ID 3403DE6EA8A6-0717192289

Post by Centurion »

Are the updated schematics depicting exactly how and where to connect the resistors done yet?
If so where on the site is the new schematic located?
Thank You
My PM 940M conversion is acting erractically and this topic may be just what I need !
martyscncgarage

Centurion wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:44 pm Are the updated schematics depicting exactly how and where to connect the resistors done yet?
If so where on the site is the new schematic located?
Thank You
My PM 940M conversion is acting erractically and this topic may be just what I need !
10k resistor from +24vdc to STEP and same to DIR header.

But before you do this, define "erratic"

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Centurion
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn Mill (11) System ID 3403DE6EA8A6-0717192289

Post by Centurion »

Before I can define erratic I'll have to properly register and be able to send you logs so I don't present myself without giving you data like I see so many others have.
The latest erratic ,to answer your question , is that the third operation drilling 300 0.1850" 1" deep holes after a first spot drilling of the grid spaced at 1/2" grid intervals was to be followed by a countersinking of each of the holes to accommodate Flat head 10/32 screws.
It successfully ran the first two operations but at completion of the deep hole drillings , the head did not fully retract to the Tool Change Height but only about half this height .
When I tried to use the MPG to retract manually , I got a measage that Z travel was exceeded.
The limit override also would not work, nor would the rehome machine button work.
All this in preparation for a chain and sprocket balance modification to the mill to alleviate the work on the sdsk z axis motor.
In the past as like lately when I used the MPG to lower the Z gear head ( original stock single phase 2 HP motor) it suddenly raced downward impaling the tool into the work with registration of a drive fault error .
I apologize for my perhaps to vague recollection of the events but as I prefaced my comments I will eventually have to learn how to appropriately send you my information and photos of my conversion which is still underway.
I have successfully built a power drawbar for this machine and run other programs on it and used the MPG and in the past have attributed odd behaviors to my inexperience or old age. Not really sure of what I might have done wrong over the past year and a half. Also learning Fusion 360 during this time with life getting in the way and pregnant pauses in use of the machine as I disassembled it to build a one shot lubrication system and learning how to choose and wire and program a 3 HP Marathon Blackmax vector motor and LATEST Hitachi VFD . THE MOTOR AND VFD WERE ONLY BENCH TESTED and they are not yet part of the operational mill but I could control the 3 phase motor with the Acorn on the screen.
I have photos and many videos to eventually share with the community but have been reluctant to pass on any perhaps erroneous information until I can overcome these glitches.
I have learned so much from those who have contributed to the Community at large and am grateful to all.

If I am to place resistors across each STEP terminal to +24 volts AND across each DIR terminal, I count a need for 6 resistors total, for the three axes that I am currently using . Is that correct?

Thank you for your prompt reply.
martyscncgarage

It's sounds to me like a motor faulted. In which case you should look at the blink codes or connect them to the MSP software and look at the error codes.

We can assume you have the short motor signal cables?
The timing error usually presents itself on large format machines such as routers will long signal cables and as I understand it, rarely occurs in small machines with short cables.

How many times has this issue occurred?
I'd suggest a little more detective work first.

But yes, 6 10k ohm resistors for three axis.
Mesa, AZ