Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: K21145
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

4th axis compatibility

Post by MMCDesign »

I have an Atrump 3 axis knee mill with CNC-11. I was wondering what 4th axis are compatible with it.

Thanks,

Mike
cncsnw

Re: 4th axis compatibility

Post by cncsnw »

That depends on what control hardware and drive hardware are built into your machine.

If you are unsure, post a Report, plus a clear photograph of the complete interior of your control cabinet (the gray box on the side or back of the machine column).

Also, I assume when you say "4th axis", you mean a rotary table that is capable of continuous movement, synchronized with the other three axes. If instead you meant a rotary indexer that has its own controller, and would only interact with the CNC via M functions, then the answers are different.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If your control is K21145, then it is probably a ca. 2010 M400S with a CPU10 control board and a DC3IOB unit. Even though the software probably says it is "CNC11-D for CPU10", it is for all practical purposes CNC10 software.

The DC3IOB is a 3-axis DC drive. If you want to run a full 4th axis, you will need to add a DC1 drive to it. With a DC1, you can run any DC servo motor that you could have run with the DC3IOB. It will be most convenient if the new motor can run on the same bus voltage (e.g. ca. 120VDC) that your other motors run on, but that is not mandatory. You probably want a motor with a continuous stall current rating somewhere between 4A and 12A.
MMCDesign
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by MMCDesign »

Thanks for the replies. I am very new to the CNC business, so assume I know nothing. Here to learn.

Yes, your assumption is correct, by 4th axis, I do mean a full synchronized rotational axis, not a simple indexer. I pulled a report and have attached it along with photos of the control unit.

I see Nikken 4th axis rotary tables and Yaskawa 750 watt AC servo motors up on eBay all the time.

Mike
Attachments
Overall
Overall
20210219_214446.jpg
report.txt
(97.27 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Your control can only run brush-type DC servo motors. An AC servo motor -- Yaskawa or otherwise -- would not be usable.

Your control would require the addition of a DC1 single-axis drive in order to run a 4th axis. The DC1 drive (pn11112) is available from Centroid, or from your local Centroid dealer, for $620.

To assess whether you can use any given rotary table, e.g. some model of Nikken, you would have to find out what kind of servo motor is in it, and what kind of position encoder is on that servo motor.

If you find a rotary table with a brush-type DC servo motor that will run on ca. 120VDC; and which has a continuous current rating between about 4 and 12 Amps; and which has a rotary encoder with a line-driver output, then chances are good you can hook that rotary table up to your control once you have the DC1 drive installed.

Centroid, of course, sells complete rotary table packages which include a rotary table with the appropriate servo motor, plus a DC1 drive, plus the necessary cabling. See https://www.centroidcnc.com/rotary_tables.htm. With a knee mill, you would probably be looking at the RT120 or RT170.

If you are looking for something inexpensive on eBay, then you will have to do your homework regarding its servo motor and encoder.
MMCDesign

Post by MMCDesign »

That is very helpful. Thank you. I just need to figure out who my dealer is now.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

MMCDesign wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am That is very helpful. Thank you. I just need to figure out who my dealer is now.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/support_map.htm
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
MMCDesign

Post by MMCDesign »

Thanks for the link.
Job217
CNC12: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Job217 »

Hello! I'm new to this as well. I'm not sure if this is in the right thread either. But I have a centriod m400s and I would like to add a 4th axis. The control board inside is a Allin1dc board. What do I need to look for to add 4th axis?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Job217 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:17 am Hello! I'm new to this as well. I'm not sure if this is in the right thread either. But I have a centriod m400s and I would like to add a 4th axis. The control board inside is a Allin1dc board. What do I need to look for to add 4th axis?
You need a DC-1 shown in the pictorial sheet at the top of this page:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html

You need a DC Brush servo motor with line driver differential encoder to put on your 4th axis.
You should determine your BUSS voltage in your control cabinet, measure at the VM+ and VM- input on the top right of All in One or across the large blue capacitor with the control powered up (CAREFULLY! No shorting!) Meter set to DC voltage.

That will tell you what terminal voltage DC Servo you need.
OR
Look at your current servo motor labels, they generally tell you the voltage. You can post a picture of the current motor labels here for more advice.
Do you already have the 4th axis?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ