Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

Post by swissi »

nicolasjolliet wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:21 pm Fabulus, Thanks Swissi, I'll check it out.
Would it be difficult to port some of these features (like using letters instead of program numbers) to the default centroid turn post processor in the fusion's library? I'm scared of trying to program a new post myself.
Not sure I understand what you are asking. The base of my Post Processor is the Centroid Mill post processor from the Fusion Library so why would you want to port single features back to the one in the library rather than just using this one?

There's nothing you have to program yourself. You just copy the post processor (the .cps file) to a local folder on your Fusion 360 computer and in the Fusion 360 post processor menu you select that your post processor is "local" and then select the .cps file in the folder you have placed it in. That's it.

Post here if I did not understand you correctly or if you have more questions.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
nicolasjolliet
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0113202827
CNC12: Yes

Re: Fusion 360 Mill Post Processor for Acorn with additional Features (New Version 5)

Post by nicolasjolliet »

Hi swissi,
the centroid turn post is for the lathe, in short, I was hoping one could find a lathe post as good and with the same features as the "mill swissi" one.
RandyLane11
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8EA25E-1104203898

Post by RandyLane11 »

Thanks for doing this, I tried using the post and unfortunately get an error in the machine path. I'm pretty new to CNC so I may have done something wrong either in Fusion or perhaps the post isn't posting out properly. The issue is instead of the cutter staying at Y0 (I'm running the Line rotary pass) and the A axis simply rotating to machine my part, A axis will rotate the specific angle and the Y axis will move as well. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
swissi

Post by swissi »

nicolasjolliet wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:07 pm Hi swissi,
the centroid turn post is for the lathe, in short, I was hoping one could find a lathe post as good and with the same features as the "mill swissi" one.
I overlooked the word "Turn". If you just want to enable alphanumeric file names, this is a very simple change. Just open the file "centroid turning.cps"
/**
Copyright (C) 2012-2020 by Autodesk, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Centroid Lathe post processor configuration.

$Revision: 43096 409ef66b1570fa5d51ea9c43cb66bf0c060260d6 $
$Date: 2020-12-11 13:29:43 $

FORKID {C96AE17C-93A9-4CC0-836B-928216030426}
*/

description = "Centroid Turning";
vendor = "CENTROID";
vendorUrl = "https://www.centroidcnc.com";
legal = "Copyright (C) 2012-2020 by Autodesk, Inc.";
certificationLevel = 2;
minimumRevision = 40783;

longDescription = "Generic turning post for Centroid. Use Turret 0 for Positional Turret, Turret 101 for QCTP on X- Post, Turret 102 for QCTP on X+ Post, Turret 103 for Gang Tooling on X- Post, Turret 104 for Gang Tooling on X+ Tool Post.";
extension = "cnc";
programNameIsInteger = true; <-----Change this line*****
and change line number 22 from "programNameIsInteger = true;" to "programNameIsInteger = false;", save the change and you are done.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

swissi

Post by swissi »

RandyLane11 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:11 am Thanks for doing this, I tried using the post and unfortunately get an error in the machine path. I'm pretty new to CNC so I may have done something wrong either in Fusion or perhaps the post isn't posting out properly. The issue is instead of the cutter staying at Y0 (I'm running the Line rotary pass) and the A axis simply rotating to machine my part, A axis will rotate the specific angle and the Y axis will move as well. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
You are not giving me anything to work with. You basically went to the doctor and told him "I'm not feeling well. What's wrong with me?" :D

First assume you are doing something wrong. If you think you found something that doesn't work right, you need to give all the details, including sharing the CAM model that's causing the problem, so I can reproduce the issue and try to fix it.

-swissi

nicolasjolliet
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0113202827

Post by nicolasjolliet »

swissi wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:05 pm
nicolasjolliet wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:07 pm Hi swissi,
I overlooked the word "Turn". If you just want to enable alphanumeric file names, this is a very simple change. Just open the file "centroid turning.cps"
/**
Copyright (C) 2012-2020 by Autodesk, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Centroid Lathe post processor configuration.

$Revision: 43096 409ef66b1570fa5d51ea9c43cb66bf0c060260d6 $
$Date: 2020-12-11 13:29:43 $

FORKID {C96AE17C-93A9-4CC0-836B-928216030426}
*/

description = "Centroid Turning";
vendor = "CENTROID";
vendorUrl = "https://www.centroidcnc.com";
legal = "Copyright (C) 2012-2020 by Autodesk, Inc.";
certificationLevel = 2;
minimumRevision = 40783;

longDescription = "Generic turning post for Centroid. Use Turret 0 for Positional Turret, Turret 101 for QCTP on X- Post, Turret 102 for QCTP on X+ Post, Turret 103 for Gang Tooling on X- Post, Turret 104 for Gang Tooling on X+ Tool Post.";
extension = "cnc";
programNameIsInteger = true; <-----Change this line*****
and change line number 22 from "programNameIsInteger = true;" to "programNameIsInteger = false;", save the change and you are done.

-swissi
Beauty, thanks Swissi.
RandyLane11

Post by RandyLane11 »

swissi wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:17 pm
RandyLane11 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:11 am Thanks for doing this, I tried using the post and unfortunately get an error in the machine path. I'm pretty new to CNC so I may have done something wrong either in Fusion or perhaps the post isn't posting out properly. The issue is instead of the cutter staying at Y0 (I'm running the Line rotary pass) and the A axis simply rotating to machine my part, A axis will rotate the specific angle and the Y axis will move as well. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
You are not giving me anything to work with. You basically went to the doctor and told him "I'm not feeling well. What's wrong with me?" :D

First assume you are doing something wrong. If you think you found something that doesn't work right, you need to give all the details, including sharing the CAM model that's causing the problem, so I can reproduce the issue and try to fix it.

-swissi
Hi Swissi,

Sorry for not giving you much, I'm struggling to explain. Here is a snapshot of the part in Fusion with the toolpath set to run a Line Rotary Pass back and forth along the X axis as the A Axis rotates. I've also included a picture of the resulting part that got half machined until I realized it wasn't machining it properly and I took it off the mill. You can see the scallop on the right of the image is where milling started and the geometry is correct but as the wheel rotates the scallops get progressively wider (because Y kept stepping over), to the point on the left where material was being removed with the side of the cutter because the Y position had moved over so much. I would have expected the endmill to simply stay at Y=0 and pass back an forth along X and A would rotate 1 degree after each pass. I've also included a snapshot of a bit of the code. I hope this is the right information to explain the issue.
Attachments
Wheel code.JPG
Wheel Photo.jpg
Thumbwheel.JPG
RandyLane11

Post by RandyLane11 »

Actually, now that I look at the Fusion part and the resulting part, none of the scallops are correct? The number of scallops don't match?
swissi

Post by swissi »

RandyLane11 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:27 pm Sorry for not giving you much, I'm struggling to explain. Here is a snapshot of the part in Fusion with the toolpath set to run a Line Rotary Pass back and forth along the X axis as the A Axis rotates. I've also included a picture of the resulting part that got half machined until I realized it wasn't machining it properly and I took it off the mill. You can see the scallop on the right of the image is where milling started and the geometry is correct but as the wheel rotates the scallops get progressively wider (because Y kept stepping over), to the point on the left where material was being removed with the side of the cutter because the Y position had moved over so much. I would have expected the endmill to simply stay at Y=0 and pass back an forth along X and A would rotate 1 degree after each pass. I've also included a snapshot of a bit of the code. I hope this is the right information to explain the issue.
When you run "Simulate" in Fusion 360 with the Option "Stock" checked, does the part look correctly at the end?

If not there's a problem with your tool paths. If it does look correctly, share the model in Fusion 360 and post the share link here or email it to my email address listed below in my signature.

-swissi

RandyLane11

Post by RandyLane11 »

Hi Swissi,

The error has been resolved.. Completely user error, I forgot to select "Yes A Axis" in the post.. :-/