From scratch DIY CNC router build

Post your completed retrofits for the world to see.

Moderator: cnckeith

jcm55
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: nonenone
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

From scratch DIY CNC router build

Post by jcm55 »

I started this build back in October, and just made my first cuts last night. Lots to learn still but pretty satisfied with the project so far.

I loosely followed this Youtube video, which is maybe the best build video I've ever seen:

The base torsion box, gantry, etc. are all made of baltic birch plywood. The X and Y axes ride on V-groove bearings on DIN rails, driven by NEMA 23 steppers with timing gears on them, which pull the gantry and X-axis trolley along tensioned timing belts. The Z-axis rides on linear bearings with a NEMA 23 driving a ball screw.

IMG_3632.jpg

I used DM542 stepper drivers, with the + step / direction terminals wired to the Acorn DB-25, with step / direction pins configured as inverted. The DM542 - terminals are wired to DB-25 common pins. For the DB-25 wiring I hacked up an old printer cable I had laying around and used a continuity tester to figure out which pin corresponded to each colored wire in the cable bundle.

I have two 40A solid state relays wired to DB-25 output pins to switch the Makita router and shop vac / dust extractor.

Home, limit and emerg. stop switches are wired to Acorn 24V inputs.

IMG_3633.jpg

For my PC I have an 8-core / 32 GB RAM fanless mini-PC. 2 cores / 8 GB RAM are allocated to a Windows 10 VM that runs CNC12 and the rest of the resources are allocated to other VMs that run my home Internet router, weather station, home security cams, etc. I access the CNC12 / Windows 10 VM via the AnyDesk remote desktop app on an iPad and bluetooth keyboard. The UI is a little small on the iPad 9.7" screen, but still totally usable. I might invest in an Android tablet with a larger 16:10 screen if I can find one for cheap.

IMG_3631.jpg

Here's a video of a test using it as a plotter with a Sharpie pen back in early Dec:

And first cut last night:

Thanks to all for the great info here on he forum. It was invaluable while I was going through this build.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: From scratch DIY CNC router build

Post by martyscncgarage »

Very nice Jim! Great work!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: From scratch DIY CNC router build

Post by cnckeith »

wow, thanks for posting.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html