CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: DMM/Acorn/Taig Build Thread

Post by martyscncgarage »

Threedj16 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 am I'd like to see a video of your buddy's DYN4/Servo system rigid tapping and single point threading.
Would like a screen shot of his DMMDRV settings and a fresh CNC12 Report. Send him here.

A final wiring diagram would be welcomed too.
He isn't using Acorn/CNC12, but LinuxCNC/MESA board instead. I'll post a link below, but you have to join the group to see it.

One thing I forgot to mention that he is using that would be really nice with the acorn. He's using RS232 to do all of his communications with the DYN4 drive. That would be a really cool and useful option for the Acorn board. Being able to use two of the DB25 pins to communicate with a drive would be really nice. Of course then it would also need to be added into CNC12 and that might be a lot harder to implement.

Link to DMM rigid tapping video. Again, to view you have to join the group. Sorry, but he didn't upload to Youtube unfortunately.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Taig.La ... 321265732/
Thanks....
Ask him nicely to upload it to youtube....😁
Share screen shot of the DMMDRV servo setting screen.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Threedj16 »

I tried DLing it from the FB group, but doesn't let me. If nothing else, I'll see if he still has a copy of the vid files and I can upload it to my channel on Youtube. Completely forgot about another buddy with the same setup on the Taig 5C lathe doing rigid tapping. Same deal, his vids are only in the FB group (I think he's a member of this group, will see). Maybe between the two, I can get a video.

Also, the servo settings won't be much good, as those are very specific to the spindle. Unfortunately this portion is the PITA portion of using servos for spindles. Even when I changed from a 750w to the 1kw, the setting were very different. There are several ways to tune them and the results can be pretty different, but it depends on how you want to use the setup. Either trying to get more speed or trying to get better low end torque. A good balance between them takes a lot of tweaking. Got it down on the 750w, but then swapped for the 1kw and haven't used it enough to figure it out yet. Unfortunately worsening issues with my back have prevented me from spending much time working on the CNC equipment upgrades for the last year. It's depressing to see all of my equipment sitting quiet and boxes laying on top with all of the new upgrades collecting dust.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Someone needs to do a video and explain the setup and tuning process.
I do want to see the Screen shots from their respective systems. It shouldn't be that different. The spindle is turning in bearings, not like the friction of slideways.
Only difference is mass of the spindle.

Thanks for leading the effort. Seeing is believing and an explanation on video would go a long way towards helping others.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:00 am Someone needs to do a video and explain the setup and tuning process.
I do want to see the Screen shots from their respective systems. It shouldn't be that different. The spindle is turning in bearings, not like the friction of slideways.
Only difference is mass of the spindle.

Thanks for leading the effort. Seeing is believing and an explanation on video would go a long way towards helping others.

Marty
There is quite a bit of mass difference in the spindles, that and belt pulley ratios. I'm using an R8/TTS, one guy is using a small ER16 spindle and another is using a 5C. I did a write up once on it for facebook after one of the DMM engineers walked me through it via the phone/Team Viewer, but I tossed it out later as the tune wasn't that great. Really, the method that is explained in the manual is pretty close to what I ended up doing in the end that worked out the best. One thing people need to understand is the software tuning cannot be used for a spindle, it just doesn't work for that. I agree a video would be the best way, but I'm not up for doing one.

Anyway, one of the guys just told me he'd post a video here.
martyscncgarage

Point being is people trying this need to know it works, how an individual got there. As I and many have done, it would be nice for a couple of individuals to take the time and share what worked for them, details, starting point, documentation etc.

Thank you!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Here's a quick video I got from a buddy of the rigid tapping with the DMM DYN4 / 1KW 86mm frame motor. He's also using the built in encoder on the DYN4 to pass through the signal. Which is why I asked him to chase the threads. This was a few weeks back when he was testing using this method. He is using timing belts, as am I, with a 1 to 2 speed increase (halving the A/B PPR values). I'm actually surprised at how well it turned out. He isn't using the Acorn, so I can't remember if the index pulse is a requirement on Acorn or not. My spindle has an encoder already, as I integrated that into the design.

Picture of his setup. Similar to mine, but he is using the original spindle for now, but is upgrading to the same R8/TTS soon.
133243443_423278305491653_934897000562515943_n.jpg
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Link to my Youtube channel with some older milling videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCKp9 ... Q/featured
martyscncgarage

Cool. I would like to see it under Centroid control peck tapping in block of machinable wax. Looks like he got it dialed in.
It would be very nice to see his DMMDRV setup screen shot. It could be a starting point for someone.
Also, like to see someone set one up and document the built and share the settings with us here.

Thanks!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
BounceCycles
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473492883-0621192173

Post by BounceCycles »

I realise I'm late to the party with this but Threedj had asked me to post a video of my rigid tapping. This was my first attempt in stainless mid to late last year. If anyone wants any info on settings etc let me know
martyscncgarage

BounceCycles wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm I realise I'm late to the party with this but Threedj had asked me to post a video of my rigid tapping. This was my first attempt in stainless mid to late last year. If anyone wants any info on settings etc let me know
It would be good if you posted the details, DMMDRV screenshot, what wiring diagram you used, screen shots of your CNC12 input and output screens. They would be of great help to other users doing the same thing.
Thank you
Marty
Mesa, AZ