Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

2003 Ajax Brideport conversion DEAD

Post by jgray »

Just brought home a Series II Bridgeport that has a Ajax conversion from 2003. When I inspected the machine the previous owner had it up and running, ran a stored program and told me a little about the control. I was happy with what I saw and had it loaded on my trailer. 600 miles later it is sitting in my shop but the computer will not boot up. Find that the PC did not survive the bouncing of the trip. Power supply died, replaced and still no boot. Pulled the hard drive and had it tested, one dead hard drive. I thought I would just replace the computer with a refurbished Windows XP vintage computer but then realized that it didn't have the ISA slot. Now looking for advise on whether to try to get the old computer and software going again or spend the bucks to upgrade to the All In One with a new computer. I will be retiring soon and the machine will only be used for play projects. From what I read in the Ajax manual it would do all I needed along with using Master Cam for programming. I have the original CD and floppy install disks for the Ajax system but have no serial numbers or unlocks. Will I have to purchase new software and if so will the new software run on the very vintage computer?
All thoughts and ideas are appreciated!
cncsnw

Re: 2003 Ajax Brideport conversion DEAD

Post by cncsnw »

The board in the ISA slot is called CPU7. See http://www.cncsnw.com/CPUs.htm#CPU7P5S.

If you can locate the PIC chip near the steel bracket (28-pin IC with a label such as "CPU709" or similar), and can read the handwritten 9-digit or 10-digit number on that chip label, that will identify the control serial number.

If you opt for the Allin1DC upgrade route, then trading in your CPU7 board will get you a discount on the "Pro" software license for the new system.

If you can locate a suitable (ISA) motherboard, then it should be possible to get the existing hardware running, with either DOS and CNC7, or Linux and CNC10. An MSI MS-6368 motherboard would be a good choice, if you can find a working one at a reasonable price.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

jgray wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:44 am Just brought home a Series II Bridgeport that has a Ajax conversion from 2003. When I inspected the machine the previous owner had it up and running, ran a stored program and told me a little about the control. I was happy with what I saw and had it loaded on my trailer. 600 miles later it is sitting in my shop but the computer will not boot up. Find that the PC did not survive the bouncing of the trip. Power supply died, replaced and still no boot. Pulled the hard drive and had it tested, one dead hard drive. I thought I would just replace the computer with a refurbished Windows XP vintage computer but then realized that it didn't have the ISA slot. Now looking for advise on whether to try to get the old computer and software going again or spend the bucks to upgrade to the All In One with a new computer. I will be retiring soon and the machine will only be used for play projects. From what I read in the Ajax manual it would do all I needed along with using Master Cam for programming. I have the original CD and floppy install disks for the Ajax system but have no serial numbers or unlocks. Will I have to purchase new software and if so will the new software run on the very vintage computer?
All thoughts and ideas are appreciated!
Are you absolutely sure the PC died? What suggests it did not make the trip? I assume (you didn't post pictures) this is one of Centroid's PC's?
It is also not likely the hard drive died. The software and machine parameters are stored on there. If you took it to the average "PC" Guy, he may not realize that if its an older control, it is formatted with LINUX.

ALWAYS come here for help FIRST before having anyone touch the control. You stand a better chance of getting it going and suggestions to help.
Marc (CNCSNW) knows his way WELL around Centroid controls.

Please take pictures of the the control and what you have and post. It will help us to "SEE" what you "SEE" and be able to make some more suggestions.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
jgray
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by jgray »

Here are pictures of what I am working with. I took the PC to my computer guy today to get a new hard drive set up so I do not have a picture of it.
When I first powered the machine up I powered the PC on and the monitor was black. The power indicator on the monitor was lit, the PC hard drive indicator light was flashing and the PC power supply fan was running. I tested the power supply and it was dead. I put another working power supply in and still had a black screen. Then pulled the hard drive out of the PC and connected it to a working PC but it would not recognize it was there. I could hear the hard drive motor running. Please bear with me as this is my first time on a forum.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=64&t=5188#
IMG_20201229_210830492_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20201229_210913838.jpg
IMG_20201229_210950874_MP.jpg
IMG_20201229_210929123.jpg
IMG_20201229_211009645.jpg
IMG_20201229_211103808.jpg
jgray

Post by jgray »

I found the serial number on the CPU7 card.
CPU711
Is it possible to get the options that were purchased and the unlocks with this serial number?
The previous owner told me that he had talked to Centroid and that they had his information on file.
How do I go about getting his license transferred to me?
Thanks for your help
martyscncgarage

That's a wiring mess....
Where is the computer? Pictures of it? Pictures of the inside showing the drive? Pictures of the CPU7 card?
Email centroid support at support@centroidcnc.com with the Machine Serial number

You say you saw this machine run....
Your least expensive move is to try and work with Marc or Centroid to see if they can build a new solid state drive for you and you replace the computer.

Since it is clear to me that it has Centroid/SEM DC Brush servos, then I would personally install an All in One DC.
If you have some electrical/electronics experience then you might be able to do it yourself. But you will have to wire and configure the control correctly. I have some youtube videos on the process.

You would be better off in the long run to go with All in One DC. And as Marc suggested, Centroid should take your old CPU7 card and offer a discount toward the new software package.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I assume the computer was a mini-tower ATX PC, sitting on the shelf in the middle of the cabinet. That is why there is a big empty space, while all the other components are crammed around the perimeter....
Is it possible to get the options that were purchased and the unlocks with this serial number?
The previous owner told me that he had talked to Centroid and that they had his information on file.
How do I go about getting his license transferred to me?
Yes. Just call or e-mail Centroid tech support. Tell them you have the control with System ID 0929031041, and give them your contact information.

If your control was sold as an M39S through dealer channels, it probably has a serial number in the 3500-series. If it was an "Ajax" DIY kit, the control serial number might be simply "A1041".
jgray

Post by jgray »

I have not been able to get the old computer to boot up, I have not been able to find a motherboard that has an ISA slot and I do not want to spend $800-$1000 for a new computer that has the ISA. I have decided to start over with a new motion controller and new computer. I will use the current Ajax DC servo motors and replace everything else. From info on the Centroid website it looks like I could go two ways: MPU 11 w/Legacy Add Kit or All in one. What software comes with it? Do I need to upgrade to PRO software if I will be generating g code programs on my own cad/cam system? Can I use my old operator panel? Should I even consider using the old Servo3IO? For the computer I am looking at an Intel NUC D34010WYK Mini PC, Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD, with Windows 10 Pro. I will plan on using a 17" non touchscreen monitor since the old system already has an operator panel if that is possible. Thanks for your advice!
martyscncgarage

jgray wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 am I have not been able to get the old computer to boot up, I have not been able to find a motherboard that has an ISA slot and I do not want to spend $800-$1000 for a new computer that has the ISA. I have decided to start over with a new motion controller and new computer. I will use the current Ajax DC servo motors and replace everything else. From info on the Centroid website it looks like I could go two ways: MPU 11 w/Legacy Add Kit or All in one. What software comes with it? Do I need to upgrade to PRO software if I will be generating g code programs on my own cad/cam system? Can I use my old operator panel? Should I even consider using the old Servo3IO? For the computer I am looking at an Intel NUC D34010WYK Mini PC, Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD, with Windows 10 Pro. I will plan on using a 17" non touchscreen monitor since the old system already has an operator panel if that is possible. Thanks for your advice!
If it were me called to service that, I would suggest to the customer to remove the old control, and servo drive and replace with an All in One DC.
You should give Centroid a call with your serial number as was suggested earlier to see what your options are. They generally give you credit for the software the machine was equipped with toward the new software package.

DO TEST THE SERVO MOTORS per this tech bulletin: https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf
Follow the most recent tech bulletin above, but I did do a video on testing DC Brush Servos:

Are you comfortable carrying out the conversion?

You can't use your old JOG Panel, you may be able to update it also discuss with Centroid. Do you have an MPG? That might have to be updated as well.
My suggestion would be to get the wireless MPG and perhaps a touchscreen in lieu of the Jog panel. Between the two you should be well covered.

If you move forward with an All in One DC Conversion, take the time to use the current schematic and TAG all your wires before disconnecting them.
Marty
Mesa, AZ