CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Travel Limits spontaneously changed "0" & other issues

Post by carboncymbal »

Marty,

It's almost as if you knew my problems wouldn't be fixed as I had hoped (I'm sure you did). I started it up today to start to finish the ATC setup and had significant communication issues.

Please see the attached photo of the panel. You'll notice that the VFD cable isn't hooked in this photo, I had just taken it off to ground the shielding drain wire.

You'll notice that all interior wiring is unshielded. Also, all limit switch, motor power, and motor control cabling is connected via GX16 style connectors like the photo attached. Shielded ethernet cable is plugged directly from the computer to the Acorn.

I look forward to your feedback and suggestions on what to improve. I have 3 of these panels that are all wired identically from the vendor, I'd like to figure out what needs to be done and bring each machine up to the right level.

Thanks,
Clay
Attachments
R&D 1-11-21.jpg
report_0035FF8A1900-1008203805_2021-01-11_21-23-56.zip
(600.85 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
carboncymbal
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by carboncymbal »

OK. I did some more testing and wanted to provide the observations I made.

After a bunch of trial and error I have found that the machine has communication errors after the panel has been initially turned on. There is one thing I happened upon that allows for the machine to operate for extended periods with no errors. If I do a quick power cycle (off for long enough for the acorn lights to go out, but short enough that the VFD caps and possibly motor power supply caps remain at least partially charged, 2-3 seconds) when I power the acorn board back on , I am able to home and operate the machine without the communication errors. This was also confirmed with the VFD removed from power (I removed it thinking that a major source of interference might have been the cooling fan that runs for about 3 minutes on startup). If turn the power off on the machine for longer (say, 1 minute) I experience the exact same errors after powering it on. The quick reset procedure seems to work successfully every time.

I believe yesterday I did this reset procedure immediately after updating the network driver on my computer, so I incorrectly assumed that had ben the resolution to my issue.

I'm really not sure what this means, other than to assume it is an EMI issue as suggested above. I look forward to suggestions. In the mean time I have been watching Marty's youtube channel and seeing many of the glaring issues in my control panel (and sadly 2 additional panels I bought at the same time). :shock:

Also, please advise if you think the panel needs a total rewire. I'd rather bite the bullet now and spend a few hours rewiring the panel then fight intermittent issues constantly.
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

Another quick though. I noticed on one of the basic acorn videos that Marty put up he links the commons of his motor power supply and acorn power supply together. On my panel all of the commons appear to be “floating” that is none of them contact each other or are referenced to ground (unless a ground reference is internal to the power supply).
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Is that a 120V or 220V supply? If it's 120V, the neutral should not be going through the main disconnect. Is the DC motor supply powered by the VFD???
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

carboncymbal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 am Another quick though. I noticed on one of the basic acorn videos that Marty put up he links the commons of his motor power supply and acorn power supply together. On my panel all of the commons appear to be “floating” that is none of them contact each other or are referenced to ground (unless a ground reference is internal to the power supply).
Don't connect the commons of the motor power supply to Acorn Logic power supply.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Tom makes a point. Did you get lazy and did not run the DC power supply to its fuse point? Did you not separate the VFD to its own pair of fuses?
It almost looks as if you used the VFD terminals to break out AC power....I would have put overcurrent protection on the VFD by itself and then overcurrent protection on the control. That means two sets of fuses or breakers. Explain how all the devices are getting AC power. Is this a 110VAC or a 220VAC cabinet?

What I would do as a test is unplug all the connectors from Acorn except power and shielded ethernet cable and see if you have any communication errors. Load and run a stock G code that comes with CNC12. Leave it set for awhile and comeback and check the error logs. NOTHING ELSE TO BE POWERED ON IN THE CABINET except the Acorn power supply and Acorn. This is going back to a basic bench test.

If you get no com errors, then plug a connector back in and run the program (you will have to temporarily remove spindle fault, drive fault from the inputs, so it does not fault)

If you DO get com errors, then suspect the PC. See if you have another you can temporarily use to see if the com errors resolve.

Basically, you need to step all the way back to a bench test and slowly start reconnecting things and turning things on until the errors return.
I would probably connect one motor/drive before connecting anymore IO and see if it works, no errors, then another motor/drive until all are connected and running a program for a bit of time....

Your wiring looks out of sorts....need some cleaning up and check for any short cuts you took.
Just some suggestions for you to try.
Mesa, AZ
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

tblough wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:26 am Is that a 120V or 220V supply? If it's 120V, the neutral should not be going through the main disconnect. Is the DC motor supply powered by the VFD???
This is a 220v power supply, the system is powered with 220v power. The white wires should be marked with tape to indicate that they are not neutral.

The DC power supply AC in is daisy chained from the 220v input into the VFD.
Last edited by carboncymbal on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:11 am Tom makes a point. Did you get lazy and did not run the DC power supply to its fuse point? Did you not separate the VFD to its own pair of fuses?
It almost looks as if you used the VFD terminals to break out AC power....I would have put overcurrent protection on the VFD by itself and then overcurrent protection on the control. That means two sets of fuses or breakers. Explain how all the devices are getting AC power. Is this a 110VAC or a 220VAC cabinet?

What I would do as a test is unplug all the connectors from Acorn except power and shielded ethernet cable and see if you have any communication errors. Load and run a stock G code that comes with CNC12. Leave it set for awhile and comeback and check the error logs. NOTHING ELSE TO BE POWERED ON IN THE CABINET except the Acorn power supply and Acorn. This is going back to a basic bench test.

If you get no com errors, then plug a connector back in and run the program (you will have to temporarily remove spindle fault, drive fault from the inputs, so it does not fault)

If you DO get com errors, then suspect the PC. See if you have another you can temporarily use to see if the com errors resolve.

Basically, you need to step all the way back to a bench test and slowly start reconnecting things and turning things on until the errors return.
I would probably connect one motor/drive before connecting anymore IO and see if it works, no errors, then another motor/drive until all are connected and running a program for a bit of time....

Your wiring looks out of sorts....need some cleaning up and check for any short cuts you took.
Just some suggestions for you to try.
Marty,

220v power, whit wires should not have been used or should be marked. You are correct in identifying the daisy chained power supply. There is no independent protection for any component in the panel.

I do want to clarify, if only for my pride, that I did not build this panel. I purchased it ( and 2 additional identical panels) from a company that I thought was reputable in their panel builds.

I’ll back to a bench test and get back to you.

I do have some additional questions (please advise of this should be in a separate thread), I’m planning on redoing the internal wiring, I will put all signal wires in shielded wire. Properly drained. I’m worried about the use of these Removable GX16 connectors. What do you suggest? I notice that in at least one of your videos you don’t use connectors at all but hard wire right into the acorn or drives.

Also, the external motor wiring is all done with constant flex rated industrial shielded Ethernet cable, 24 AWG, any thoughts on this?

Thank,
Clay
Last edited by carboncymbal on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

All,

I did not build these panels, please don’t feel the need to be sensitive about identifying wiring issues on my account. I’ll happily take any criticisms of the wiring and use them to correct the issues.
Last edited by carboncymbal on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

carboncymbal wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am All,

I did not build these panels, please don’t feel the need to be sensitive about identifying wiring issues on my account. I’ll goofily tank any criticism of the wiring and use them to correct the issues.
I'm sorry to hear someone else created your issues. No support from them? No offer to correct?
You feel comfortable fixing things up?

Keep all your posts in this thread. We can scroll back if needed.

Marty
Mesa, AZ