Dust Collection/Coolant buttons as momentary?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Sword
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Dust Collection/Coolant buttons as momentary?

Post by Sword »

Hello,

Looking for a little guidance as to if one of the buttons (Vacuum On/Flood Mist) can be made to operate in a momentary manner. Objective is to use an output to turn a relay on/off upon each "push" of the aux button. The output is set to RouterVacuumHoldDown, but I desire one push of the button to just flick the relay on and right back off after say G4 P0.5. LED should stay on though until the next button push cycle if possible. I know this will require some PLC customization, but wondering if "Momentary" action and the LED can be accomplished as desired.

Think like a garage door opener, one push opens and another push closes. I have the remote modified with two wires that when touched, will turn on/off the device and can make a macro that blips the relay on/off.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott
RogDC

Re: Dust Collection/Coolant buttons as momentary?

Post by RogDC »

Scott,
I used a pair of these to provide momentary contact to my magnetic switch in the dust collector. When the Dust collector turns the acorn relay on, it closes the NO for 1 second, then when the relay on the acorn turns off, it breaks the NC on the second board to turn off the DC. I have an Oneida Gorilla and used these to replace the wireless remote from Oneida so I could still use the buttons on the panel. I also only use 1 Acorn relay vs. two modifying the PLC.
Timer.PNG
Sword

Post by Sword »

Thanks RogDC,

That's an interesting unit. Would like to keep from adding more hardware though. It's just for a laser exhaust fan.
Scott
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hello. do you truly mean momentary? which means as long as you hold down the button... as your description above seems to describe two different actions, a toggle and a momentary.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword

Post by Sword »

Hi Keith,

No, bad description perhaps. A toggle is what it is now (either on or off) What I'd like it to do (in Auto mode or Manual mode) is turn the relay on and then right back off each time it's pushed or called in Auto mode. Much in the same way the laser reset flicks the relay on then off after 0.5 sec with M94 /39 and M95 /39. Tried that with mfunc.27, but it didn't work. Not sure I had the right mfunc for testing it.

Edited: I could probably just add the relay "flick" to my mfunc.37 and 38 by setting it to a normal output, but it would be nice to add it to the Auto/Man button group (or replace the vac hold down button since that will never be used on this machine).

Scott
Scott
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you want a keypress to activate an output only momentarily, the simplest way would be to remove any logic that uses the keypress as a toggle, and simply copy the key state directly to the output state:

Code: Select all

IF MyKeyIsPressed_I THEN (MyOutputRelay_O)
If you need to combine that with programmable M functions, then you could add that as a condition:

Code: Select all

IF MyKeyIsPressed_I || M37_SV THEN (MyOutputRelay_O)
... and of course modify your M function macro so that it turns on the request (M94), pauses briefly (G4), then turns the request back off (M95).

If I correctly understand what you are trying to do, there will no longer be any way for the PLC to know whether the ultimate device is on or off, and therefore no way for the PLC to ensure that it is turned off. Presumably you will at least have some sort of external relay logic that makes sure the device gets turned off when you press Emergency Stop, and does not automatically turn back on when you release Emergency Stop.