Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Anilam to Allin1 conversion

Post by PatF10 »

I recently purchased an Alliant Knee mill with a Anilam Crusader M control. I got everything up and running and realized that I want a machine that will take normal code. So I decided on the Allin1

I ordered the allin1 yesterday and I am working on other details in the mean time.

The crusader system uses SEM servo motors and the tag says max rpm of 2400 and volts 140. The current control has a transformer and cap and rectifier. The incoming voltage is 120V into the transformer and at the capacitor I have 106V I'm guessing that Anilam chose not to give the servos full voltage? Should I use the same 106V out of the capacitor and use that in the Allin1 system.

Other things I will need are a VFD I have been looking at a TEC0 510 think for a 2hp motor it runs about 195$. If that seems reasonable and a good option i will go that way unless anyone has any other economical solutions.
I was thinking this VFD
https://dealerselectric.com/L510-202-H1 ... 9gQAvD_BwE

My biggest issue is sizing and sourcing electrical components. I need an e stop switch, a power switch i can switch the 240V and the contactor for the estop. I assume i should also get some main fuses I also need some insight on the size or units for them.

I have been watching the videos that Marty has on you tube and they have been a great resource. I just need some insight on the specific components. Id like to stay on a budget as this is somewhat of a hobby machine. I mostly need to know what voltage and amperage ratings the components need to be.

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to document this and maybe it can be a resource for someone in the future as well.

Thanks
Pat
PatF10
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Anilam to Allin1 conversion

Post by PatF10 »

So I started a list of components. my mill has a 2hp motor

https://dealerselectric.com/L510-202-H1-N.asp VFD

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/e-t- ... /70596477/ 120v 20A breaker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EATON-Cutler-H ... 3624402661 220 30a breaker

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Eaton-P1-2 ... 4961731198
rotary switch, I was thinking of using this to control the power to both the 220 and the 120

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LC1DT40B7-Squa ... 2086443154 contactor relay

I have a 24v estop switch that i can use and then I need some din rail and terminal blocks and wire.

how do those components look?

Thanks
Pat
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I would make sure the drive you choose has Sensorless Vector Control, that it also has a braking resistor circuit. I like the GS3 from Automationdirect.com, TD400 series from Factorymation.com there are others....

I use fuses vs breakers. Contactor looks OK, do remember you will need a 24VAC supply for it. I have used this one with good success:
Packard - PACKARD - PF42440 Control Transformer Class Ii Foot Mount, 40V/24V
by Amazon.com
Learn more:

Please post pictures of your existing control cabinet, your servo motors and their labels.

You asked about reusing your existing transformer, bridge and capacitor. Please post pictures of those.
Be sure to test your DC Servo motors per this tech bulletin:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
PatF10

Post by PatF10 »

Alright so I have been doing some reading and going over the drawings and instructions working my head around everything.
IMG_5496.jpg
There is the inside of my cabinet. Those are the current servo amps along the bottom. With the transformer in the corner with the bridge rectifier and the capacitor. I will obviously be eliminating the servo amps, but I will retain the transformer and rectifier and cap.

These are the servo motors that are on the machine. I downloaded the information for a MT30M4-59 here are the specs
Max voltage 140V. my current voltage after the rectifier is 106V so I should be good there.
In-lb 26
Continuous stall current 5.5amps
The transformer has 15amp slow blow fuses coming out of it. I'm assuming that will work to protect the circuit that I will be sending to the allin1.
servo motor.jpg
As far as the 24 volt part of the system goes. Am I better off using 24VDC or 24VAC? Seems like DC is more straightforward using the allin1 power supply. However does it make a more robust system to use a transformer and use 24VAC?

I plan to bring power into the machine and have fuses there to protect everything. Then go to my TB1 and have fuses after that to protect individual components (if that makes sense to do).
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Typical installations use the 24VDC from the Allin1DC power supply for PLC input circuits.

I avoid mixing coil outputs (contactors, solenoids, relays) on the same supply that is used for PLC inputs, in order to avoid interference from inductive spikes.

So if you were to use contactors with 24VDC coils, you would want a separate supply for them. At that point, it is about a wash whether you add another switching power supply for 24VDC, or add a small transformer for 24VAC.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:55 pm Typical installations use the 24VDC from the Allin1DC power supply for PLC input circuits.

I avoid mixing coil outputs (contactors, solenoids, relays) on the same supply that is used for PLC inputs, in order to avoid interference from inductive spikes.

So if you were to use contactors with 24VDC coils, you would want a separate supply for them. At that point, it is about a wash whether you add another switching power supply for 24VDC, or add a small transformer for 24VAC.
Marc (cncsnw) knows his business well. Follow his advice, separate power supplies for contactors/relays etc. Make sure snubbers are on all coils.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

You would do yourself REALLY well to try and follow the Centroid All in One DC schematic as drawn as much as possible. Not only for you, but for the next person that may need to service the control. Centroid already Engineered everything.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
warnerr
CNC Control System Serial Number: a900749

Post by warnerr »

I converted my Aniliam: reused transformer, caps, diodes. Put all in one’s seperate powersupply and caps below allinone board
Added 24v transformer and bridge rectifier for it. Absolutly purchase the recommended VFD: forget the Chinese crap! Added braking resistor. Hardest part of job for me was adding encoders to existing sems.

[
anilim conversion reused parts
anilim conversion reused parts
freedommachine

Post by freedommachine »

I did the same conversion in 2019. Here's my cabinet (don't laugh).

I reused the Anilam E-stop button and went with the 24v ac contactor recommended by Centroid. (Not pictured but located right above the cap). The 2 silver rectangular boxes are line filters that I reused from the Anilam. The VFD is cheap garbage and no longer on the machine. I like the gs2/gs3 as Marty stated. That is the most popular drive around.

Choosing components was difficult for me as well. Electrical components seem so application specific, I hate buying the wrong stuff.

I would suggest getting a new capacitor/cap board set up from Centroid too. 30 year old capacitors aren't worth the risk in my opinion.

My computer is mounted to the cabinet door. It's a commerical HP (The name escapes me at the moment). I just contacted a local computer repair place, sent them the minimum requirements and windows configuration instructions from Centroid and they sold me a PC ready to go for $218.00

Mounting encoders was...a process.
I disassembled the motors and turned down the end of the armatures in the lathe. I also recut the section that the brushes ride on and then assembled all 3 motors with new bearings. It was easy, just time consuming.
Attachments
IMG_20190819_181942_473 (1).JPG
PatF10

Post by PatF10 »

That setup makes it look fairly simple. What is the small black square below the line filter and above your contactor? I plan to reuse the transformer and i have a new cap from centroid coming. My all in one is supposed to be here tomorrow.

How have you liked the all in one on your Anilam machine. I'm really electronics slow. Ill get it but it takes a bit. What do the line filters do for me, should I keep them?

I have a PC and monitor already. I have a plan to machine some adapters to mount my encoders. I have considered taking the motors apart but I haven't decided if I want to go that route or not. Ill probably get the contactor from centroid and a couple other things. I decided to wait until I got the Allin1 to start laying everything out before I start buying stuff.