Old M400S...Won't power up after sitting 5 years.

All things related to Centroid Oak, Allin1DC, MPU11 and Legacy products

Moderator: cnckeith

kenmwallace
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C143471
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Old M400S...Won't power up after sitting 5 years.

Post by kenmwallace »

I have an Atrump E216 that I am trying to get going.
It has control console serial number 20504 on it.
The computer is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-2SP
When I apply power, the computer has not powered up successfully.
I did see a message pop up for a few seconds saying that it was in a low power mode. But, after that the screen was blank.
I assume the battery on the BIOS died.
I see this has a dual bios, but I imaging that if the memory is lost in one, it will be lost in the second as well?
I know this is an older machine. The date tag on the PCB of the membrane switch panel is dated 2005.
I don't have any of the tech documentation for this machine such as wiring diagrams. Are these still available?
I don't know what CNC version it has on it.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Ken in San Diego...
E216 Console Front.jpg
E216 Console Back.jpg
Last edited by kenmwallace on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Old M400S...Won't power up after sitting 5 years.

Post by martyscncgarage »

kenmwallace wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 pm I have an Atrump E216 that I am trying to get going.
It has control console serial number 20504 on it.
The computer is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-2SP
When I apply power, the computer has not powered up successfully.
I did see a message pop up for a few seconds saying that it was in a low power mode. But, after that the screen was blank.
I assume the battery on the BIOS died.
I see this has a dual bios, but I imaging that if the memory is lost in one, it will be lost in the second as well?
I know this is an older machine. The date tag on the PCB of the membrane switch panel is dated 2005.
I don't have any of the tech documentation for this machine such as wiring diagrams. Are these still available?
I don't know what CNC version it has on it.
Suggestions would be appreciated.
Ken in San Diego....
Replace the motherboard battery. Look up the motherboard model number on line, see if you can find a manual for it, find the POWER ON pins and short them together briefly (I use the tip of a screw driver in a pinch, but do it carefully) . See if that doesn't bring the PC back to life. (Sometimes POWER ON is silkscreened on the motherboard)
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

See http://www.cncsnw.com/Motherboards.htm#GA78LMT

The power-on button pins are the ones with a red background. They are the second pair up from the bottom of the left column in the F_PANEL header. The F_PANEL header is along the right edge of the motherboard, just below the ATX power receptacle.

As Marty suggests, turn on the AC power, then momentarily short those two pins together with a screwdriver to simulate pressing the power-on button.
kenmwallace

Re: SOME PROGRESS... Old M400S...Won't power up

Post by kenmwallace »

Thanks for the advice about shorting the start pins on the motherboard.
I did replace the battery and shorted the pins. I got it running.
I also needed to press the power button on a little board I found dangling inside the console.
Apparently this is the control board for the LCD monitor and needs to be pressed to start the display. Interesting that it is not accessible from the front.
Once started, there were errors that are reported on the following screen. Any suggestions as to what to do next will be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
E216 error screen 2.jpg
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Now that the site is back up, hopefully Marc will chime in. He knows these systems pretty well.
I have a similar if not the same machine, Atrump E216 Maximill. I am wondering if you have a fiber communications issue.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

This would not be a fiber communication issue, because the CPU10 control board is plugged into a PCI slot inside the computer. The optical fibers are only used to communicate between the CPU10 and the PLC, and between the CPU10 and the servo drive, after the CPU is initialized.

Try reseating the CPU10 board in the PCI slot. If possible, clean the board fingers and slot contacts with electronic contact cleaner while you are at it.
kenmwallace

Post by kenmwallace »

I did reseat the PCI board as my first attempt to rectify the issue. The gold on the edge connector looked good and the board is hard to get out of the card cage due to all the cables behind it etc. I don’t know what kind of connectors the fibers use, but I was reluctant to expose them to potential contamination. So, I did not try cleaning the edge connector fingers.
I am thinking I may need to reinstall the software. Will Centroid support such an effort by providing the files?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

As far as I know, Centroid has never built a board-level install package for CNC10 v2.73 and its Linux version, for public consumption.

However, there is nothing in the error screen you posted to suggest a file corruption issue. CNC10 is unable to communicate with the CPU10 board through the PCI slot. A fresh software installation is unlikely to change that.

If reseating the CPU10 board doesn't help, the only other useful thing to try is to disconnect the copper connections to the CPU10 board: unplug the jog panel and all the encoders. Sometimes a faulty peripheral device can prevent the CPU10 from responding (though usually that looks a little different).

Failing that, you probably need to send the CPU10 (or preferably the whole PC assembly) in for test. A technician with a spare CPU10 board, spare power supply, and spare v2.73 SSHD could isolate the problem pretty quickly, if the problem is persistent and consistent.
kenmwallace

Post by kenmwallace »

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions and support!
I now have it up and running.
There must have been a poor connection somewhere, because complete disassembly, cleaning and reassembly made it work.
I am now trying to learn my way around operating it. I am hoping that the youtube tutorials for the newer versions will be similar enough to give me a start.
Also, I noticed there is a soft button labeled "upgrade". I assume this allows more recent software revisions to be loaded. Would there be a version newer than 2.73 that I should be looking for?
Thanks Again!
Ken Wallace
San Diego
kenmwallace

Re: Old M400S...Won't power up after sitting 5 years (RESOLVED)

Post by kenmwallace »

The Atrump E216 with CNC10 is up and running.
For the record: It seems the problem was multiple poor connections in the control console.
Once I could get the CPU to boot I found I was able to induce all kinds of error messages by wiggling the cables that connect to the servo board.
These cables connect with DB sub miniature connectors. There are 5 of them side by side. They have retention screws with skinny knurled shanks that extend behind the connector backshell. These have to be tight to get the connectors engage well enough to have reliable connections. It is almost impossible to get your fingers on these, especially the rear ones. And even harder to assure that they are really tight.
My solution was to remove the shanks from the backshells and saw a screw slot into the end of each one. After putting them back into the connectors, I used a small screwdriver to tighten them and: Wala! no more problems. (Of course by posting this, I am guaranteeing that it will malfunction next time I power it up).