Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC11 to CNC12 issues

Post by BodeRacing »

So I have the ELO monitor and NUC installed. Monitor was a pain to install. I made the cream colored adapter.

Upgraded from CNC11 to CNC12 v14. Per the instructions I found, I only restored the cncm.prm.xml and cncmcfg.xml files. That is how I interpreted the instructions.

You can see that I don't have the proper files loaded. Do I just need to do a complete report restore?

Also, where is all the data stored specific to my mill, like backlash compensation? How does that get restored? Which files is that in?

Another issue is that it looks like Millwrite is gone from CNC12. Is that correct? If so, how do I do my engraving? I attached a copy of my CNC11 software add-ons.
Attachments
IMG_5931.jpg
IMG_5934.jpg
IMG_5932.jpg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: CNC11 to CNC12 issues

Post by martyscncgarage »

You aren't providing enough information.
Did you create a backup of your old CNCM directory on the old computer? Just copy it to a USB Thumbdrive? Did you create a fresh report before switching computers?

There is more than just a couple of files.
Sounds like you didn't follow TB311 exactly.

You started a new thread, what was your machine, is it a basic mill or did it have a tool changer?
It would have been better for you to post in your original thread so we could more easily go back through it and see what your old report said and what your machine was. We respond so many posts its hard to remember who posted what....

You COULD simply copy in the CNCM directory from the old CNC11 computer into the new computer and launch CNC11 provided your ethernet port is setup. At least you would be back up and running.

Then you can have the OLD CNC11 and the new CNC12 (Obviously rename the directory so you know which is which from the working CNCM directory) while you sort through things.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

As for your Millwrite question, call Centroid and ask them specifically about it.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
BodeRacing
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by BodeRacing »

Thanks Marty!

I do not have an ATC. Its an Atrump bed mill.

I have attached my report that I saved before the conversion. I don't have a report from the new setup yet.

I thought I followed TB311 (version 4) to the letter. It says to only copy 2 files from the report (see attached instructions). That is what I did - it confuses me. I copied my PLC file manually then compiled it.

I have very good backups of everything. I have them stored on the NUC so copying the files is not an issue.

So if I under stand correctly, it is ok to just copy the whole CNC11 CNCM directory into the CNC12 folder? Does that bring over all the comps and other specific info and leave it as a CNC12 system?

I did restore my old report last night. The machine does seem to run okay. I ran a quick job yesterday and it did fine, but the "machine not set up error" continues. I don't think I have copied over the machine setup files, and I don't know which ones these are.

I will go to the shop and get a fresh report and post it.
Attachments
report_1116170498_2020-10-27_19-08-14.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
instructrions.pdf
(339.15 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
martyscncgarage

BodeRacing wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:40 pm Thanks Marty!

I do not have an ATC. Its an Atrump bed mill.

I have attached my report that I saved before the conversion. I don't have a report from the new setup yet.

I thought I followed TB311 (version 4) to the letter. It says to only copy 2 files from the report (see attached instructions). That is what I did - it confuses me. I copied my PLC file manually then compiled it.

I have very good backups of everything. I have them stored on the NUC so copying the files is not an issue.

So if I under stand correctly, it is ok to just copy the whole CNC11 CNCM directory into the CNC12 folder? Does that bring over all the comps and other specific info and leave it as a CNC12 system?

I did restore my old report last night. The machine does seem to run okay. I ran a quick job yesterday and it did fine, but the "machine not set up error" continues. I don't think I have copied over the machine setup files, and I don't know which ones these are.

I will go to the shop and get a fresh report and post it.

You just need to run the system test then. Its typical.
Read section 6.13 in the All in One DC Installation Manual:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/c ... manual.pdf

Follow my video:
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

NO DO NOT COPY THE OLD CNC11 directory into the CNC12 FOLDER!!

You can copy the OLD Directory on the NEW CNC PC C: Drive BUT rename it CNCM OLD first so you DON'T copy over the new CNCM directory!

Always create a fresh report as you make progress....or ask for help here.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

If your machine is running now under CNC12 after you restored the report. Just leave it. Problem is, you may have copied over some of the newer files.
You aren't using Virtual Control Panel or the wireless MPG so it *MAY* not matter....

Marty
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

martyscncgarage wrote:NO DO NOT COPY THE OLD CNC11 directory into the CNC12 FOLDER!!
(Edit: I misread the above be be an admonition against restoring a report from CNC11. Copying the old CNC11 directory, in its entirety, over your CNC12 installation would indeed be a mistake.)

Why not?

Aside from restoring the old PLC program, which would not have wireless MPG or VCP support, I am not aware of any reason why you should not restore your working CNC11 report into a new CNC12 installation.

Alternately, I also am not aware of any reason you could not copy the whole c:\cncm directory from the working CNC11 installation onto the new computer, then install CNC12 over it as an update.

Can you point to some specific files or features that are not handled correctly by CNC12 if it is given CNC11 setup files to read?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Note that if you follow TB311 and transfer only your Parameters (cncm.prm.xml) and Configuration (cncmcfg.xml), then you will lose your software unlock codes (cncm.unl.xml), software travel limits, return point locations, and WCS locations (cncm.wcs), tool descriptions and offsets (cncm.tl and cncm.ol), and Z Reference setting and digitizing setups (cncm.job.xml), among other things.
martyscncgarage

cncsnw wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:24 pm
martyscncgarage wrote:NO DO NOT COPY THE OLD CNC11 directory into the CNC12 FOLDER!!
Why not?

Aside from restoring the old PLC program, which would not have wireless MPG or VCP support, I am not aware of any reason why you should not restore your working CNC11 report into a new CNC12 installation.

Alternately, I also am not aware of any reason you could not copy the whole c:\cncm directory from the working CNC11 installation onto the new computer, then install CNC12 over it as an update.

Can you point to some specific files or features that are not handled correctly by CNC12 if it is given CNC11 setup files to read?
I would have copied the old CNCM directory to the new PC got it up and running, and then did the CNC12 Install.
Marc, you would know better than I, I didn't want him to risk any possible incompatibilities or corrupt files.
As it is, it seems he restored a previous report from within CNC12 and all he needs to do now is run the System Test.

Marty
Mesa, AZ