CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Servo drive shutdown

Post by cncjeff1 »

Hi All,
My problem is with an M400, #6814. It has a PLC 3/3 as well as a KOYO PLC. Suddenly, I am getting a Servo Drive Shutdown error. The odd part is that the E-stop contactor is not dropping out. All of the servo drive LEDs are lit normally. Could In have made a mistake compiling the PLC? Any ideas are welcome.
Attachments
report.zip
(56.19 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
atc6.src
(16.94 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
cncsnw

Re: Servo drive shutdown

Post by cncsnw »

Can you post a sharp close-up picture of your 3/3 PLC board?

If I recall correctly, early models used the same 5VDC supply to run the board logic and also to power the input circuits; later models had a separate 5V connection for input circuits (even though the external voltage source may have been the same).

If you are not actually seeing any problem on the servo drive (DF LED remains lit, E_STOP LED remains lit, E-stop contactor remains closed) then the problem is likely either on the 3/3 PLC board, or the cable connecting the drive's 4-pin fault header to the PLC board.

Do you have a touch probe? If so, use the Alt-i PLC Diagnostic display to see what INP1 and INP2 (the other two inputs on the PLC 3/3 board) do when you plug in the probe and trip the stylus.
cncjeff1
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by cncjeff1 »

I don't think the 4-pin header is at fault, because if I disconnect the wire from pin 6 (coming from the drive) on the left side of PLC3/3 then the E-stop contactor drops out. Could it also be one of the fibers to the PLC3/3. Could I have made an error in the atc6.src and it still compiled?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-10 at 11.23.50.jpeg
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

I don't see that you changed anything in atc6.src.

What did you intend to change there?
cncjeff1

Post by cncjeff1 »

I didn't intend to change anything. I was thinking perhaps I had inadvertently changed something, perhaps a random keystroke.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Use the Alt-i display to see what INP1, INP2 and INP3 are doing as you close and open those inputs (e.g. by plugging in a probe, tripping a probe, or triggering a genuine servo drive fault).

If INP1, INP2 and INP3 respond normally (show green when the circuit is closed, and red when the input circuit is open) then the PLC is working and communicating, so presumably the fibers are fine.

Is your "436 Servo drive shutdown" problem continuous, or is it intermittent?
cncjeff1

Post by cncjeff1 »

"436 Servo drive shutdown" is continuous. At this moment, I am not at the machine (minimum 2 hours travel). When last there, INP1-INP3 were all red in the diagnostic but when I measured across 1-2 and 3-4, the voltage was 5 VDC. Across 5-6, it was something less than 1 VDC, I don't remember exactly, maybe 0.5-0.8 VDC, but I'm not sure. But all three inputs were RED. If I tie Terminal 2, 4, or 6 to 0 VDC, then the Inputs should turn green, Correct?
A little history. The machine sat for a year or two and then was sold. I don't know what happened at the new customer, but he called me and said that the PC (PCM-6890B) would not boot. Based on what I later found, I think he may have connected 220 VAC to the ATX power supply when it did not immediately boot, but as is often the case, "nobody did anything to the machine". I replaced the power supply, but still nothing. I scrounged through old parts and found a working Aaeon PCM-6890B motherboard. I installed it and got the machine to go through POST but only after I connected an external keyboard. It still wouldn't boot. I installed a new CF and CF-IDE adapter with Ver. 2.70 and got the machine to boot and I could move the axes and spindle, but still had to use an external keyboard . Before I continued, I asked the customer to clean the machine. Everything was filthy. When I returned a few weeks later after he had cleaned the machine, the machine booted, but the screen was gibberish. BIOS had gone to default. I removed the CPU7 to access and replace the CR2032. When I reassembled everything, I had the "436 Servo drive shutdown" error.

BTW, perhaps this should be a new topic, but do you know the correct pin-out for the CN12 VGA connection? I could have saved hours if I had a cable when the BIOS battery failed. I have two copies of the Aaeon PCM-6890B manual. I have attached the relevant excerpts.

I did send a few emails to Aaeon hoping to receive a reply, but no luck. Do you know which one is correct (or if neither is correct), because they are so different? I did try one of these that didn't work, but I don't remember which one I used. At the time, I didn't realize that I had two different manuals.
Attachments
VGA connections 2.txt
(528 Bytes) Downloaded 106 times
VGA connections 1.txt
(549 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You might just have the fibers in the wrong order.

On the Alt-i screen, is INP16 green, or red? It should be red if the PLC board is powered up and fiber communication is working correctly.
joneg

Post by joneg »

i had a 436 servo drive alarm on my control last year,when i powered it up after a few years of idle time. turned out to be a bad cpu10 card. There was no light output from fiber #4 transmitter. you could pull off fiber #4 and look for a red light from the led.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If fiber #4 (DATA) or #5 (SYNC) were faulty, then the drive would be in a fault condition. The green DF led on the servo drive would be off (not lit), and the emergency stop contactor would not close.

If you short input terminals #1 and #2 on the PLC 3/3 board together, that should close INP1. If when you do so you do not see INP1 turn green on the Alt-i screen, then there is a problem with PLC communication or function. PLC communication goes through fibers #1 (TXS), #2 (CKS) and #3 (RXS).