Bench testing and stepper motors aren't moving (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

billthefarmer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3830
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bench testing and stepper motors aren't moving (Resolved)

Post by billthefarmer »

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Centroid Acorn and the Pro Mill software.I am using Copied Leadshine Drivers HBS860 with a NEMA 34 closed loop stepper motors.

I have been having many problems trying to bench test these this is the first CNC machine I have built. I watched many Centroid YouTube DIY videos and it looked like everything was very well documented.

I had no problem at all bench testing the software and acorn everything works perfectly when you push the relative axis directions everything moves and all went well perfectly documented.

I tried to find a schematic for the drivers I am using. CNC12 only has three Leadshine models all of which have wiring to suit DB 25 connector which was not supplied or mentioned. I have ordered one and am waiting for its delivery. But none of these schematics are for that very popular driver which I am using. I tried using some of the tutorials but my software seems to be a later version and none of the screens match wording is different and makes it very hard when you are inexperienced.

When I bench test the motor energizes making it untenable but when I push the forward or backward commands on the screen they move but nothing happens on the motor. I have tried many different combinations with zero results I have for drivers and for stepper motors I don’t think they would be the problem sorry to bother you with this but I’m at my wits end I have watched YouTube for hours but nothing seems to match exactly my requirement.

This is probably something that is very simple to fix but for the life of me I cannot figure that one out. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as a schematic that matches this I think the main problem is setting up the commands in the software but I’m not sure.

I am now retired and building and setting this up for my sons I worked with a very large automotive instrument manufacturing company VDO for many years have had a reasonable amount of experience with electronics I had no problem wiring this up so i doubt its the hardware but now I’m stuck.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and regards William Cotter.

This morning I tried the stepper motors online set up. The motor vibrated slightly when I pushed the forward and reverse X axis buttons but the rotor still did not move or if it did it was infinitesimal. Thanks again
Attachments
report_0035FF8E3E4A-1014203830_2020-11-10_13-14-06.zip
(588.78 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Benchtesting and stepper motors arent moving

Post by martyscncgarage »

William,
We are happy to help but need more information.
Please take a look and follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Pictures are worth a thousand words. We need to see and understand how you connected the drives. Also, it is most courteous if you would post a link to the drive manuals.

Franco CNC did a series using those drives and Acorn on his YouTube Channel:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
francoCNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC39D321-0822170083

Post by francoCNC »

Hi. Did the video help?
billthefarmer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3830

Post by billthefarmer »

Hi there, yes I have watched the video before thank you for your reply late this afternoon I found the problem. I actually followed the color codes supplied by the company for the closed-loop stepper motors. The motor power wires the diagram showed a red and black wire for one coil instead they supplied red and green and specified the red to the minus. When I reverse these magically things started to work. Thank you again for help regards
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Good to hear you got it going! Plow forward!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
francoCNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC39D321-0822170083

Re: Bench testing and stepper motors aren't moving (Resolved)

Post by francoCNC »

Awesome!