Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900588
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Renishaw MP11 Probe Setup

Post by Daniels Precision »

I am trying to get my Renishaw MP11 probe working with my Centroid probe software. This probe has a four pin connector providing two discrete circuits. One is supplying +12v and the other one is a pair of normally open contacts. The +12v is connected to H13 pin 9, The 12v return is connected to H13 pin 3. The normally open contacts are across H13 pins 5&6. I do not have anything connected to H13 pin 8 (Probe detect input).
When I plug the probe in, the indicator lamp on the probe lights and when I displace the probe tip the lamp goes out. The only thing that changes state on the real time I/O display when I displace the probe tip is Memory15 Ax3 Minus Jog Disabled_M. When I press Cycle Start to start the probing procedure I get a meaasage "No Probe Found". What am I missing here?

I have attached a current report.
Attachments
report_0717171799_2020-07-28_13-47-17.zip
(3.41 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
cncsnw

Re: Renishaw MP11 Probe Setup

Post by cncsnw »

It sounds like you have it connected correctly.

The probe trip would be visible on INP769, on the ninth page of Alt-i data. Press F12 eight times to get there.

If you do not have a probe-detect signal, then you need to change Parameter 18 to zero.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Daniels Precision wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 pm I am trying to get my Renishaw MP11 probe working with my Centroid probe software. This probe has a four pin connector providing two discrete circuits. One is supplying +12v and the other one is a pair of normally open contacts. The +12v is connected to H13 pin 9, The 12v return is connected to H13 pin 3. The normally open contacts are across H13 pins 5&6. I do not have anything connected to H13 pin 8 (Probe detect input).
When I plug the probe in, the indicator lamp on the probe lights and when I displace the probe tip the lamp goes out. The only thing that changes state on the real time I/O display when I displace the probe tip is Memory15 Ax3 Minus Jog Disabled_M. When I press Cycle Start to start the probing procedure I get a meaasage "No Probe Found". What am I missing here?

I have attached a current report.
Marc suggested the PROBE DETECT signal was missing. It is normally a jumper on that grounds the Probe Detect input
I would not go with out it. When it is used, the control puts a few safety measures in place...like not letting you turn the spindle on ;)

This is why I said its better to buy the factory bulk head cable from Centroid. Then buy the mating CPC connector so you can wire your own probe in and put the jumper in the connector to ground the probe detect circuit when the probe is plugged in.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Incidentally, the pin numbers quoted in Centroid's documentation are wrong. Mini-fit Jr connector positions count along the first row, then along the next row. See https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/039012080_sd.pdf, and also the attached.

So 12VDC would come from pins 5 and 2; and your N.O. trip contacts would be across pin 3 and 8. It sounds like you have the wires in the right places; I am just pointing out a discrepancy in the naming convention.
Attachments
MPU11ProbePlug.pdf
(33.19 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Daniels Precision
Acorn CNC Controller: No

As a follow up, I have set the probing parameters per the DP-4 manual.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

That will work, provided you wire your probe to have all the features of a DP-4.

Now you just need to add your probe-detect jumper and wire it to INP771.
BodeRacing
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 102849
CNC12: No

Post by BodeRacing »

I don't know what connector you have, but I have an Oak board and run CNC11 software. I was running the DP-4 probe and TT-1B tool touch off.

When I converted to Renishaw wireless, I just bought the correct amp connectors and made my own cable. I can just unplug my Renishaw connector and plug in the DP-4 or TT-1B without changing anything.

I also would not run the probe without probe detect.

I bought the connector from Newark. The AMP part numbers I used are:

206434-1 - Description: CIRCULAR CONNECTOR, PLUG, SIZE 11, 8 POSITION, FREE HANGING; Product
Range:CPC Series 2; Circular Connector Shell Style:Cable Mount Plug; No. of Contacts:8Contacts; Circular
Contact Type:-; Coupling Style:-;

66506-9 - Description: D SUB CONTACT, PIN, 24-20AWG, CRIMP; For Use With:AMPLIMITE D Subminiature
Housings; Contact Gender:Pin; Contact Material:Brass; Contact Plating:Gold Plated Contacts; Wire Size
AWG Max:20AWG; Wire Size AWG Min:24AWG; Contact Size:20

1-206062-7 - Description: CIRCULAR CABLE CLAMP, SIZE 11, PLASTIC; Connector Shell Size:11; Cable Diameter
Max:8.36mm; Strain Relief Material:Thermoplastic; Product Range:CPC Series; For Use With:CPC
Connectors
Attachments
Spindle Probe Connector.jpg
IMG_4446.jpg
martyscncgarage
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

BodeRacing wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 pm I don't know what connector you have, but I have an Oak board and run CNC11 software. I was running the DP-4 probe and TT-1B tool touch off.

When I converted to Renishaw wireless, I just bought the correct amp connectors and made my own cable. I can just unplug my Renishaw connector and plug in the DP-4 or TT-1B without changing anything.

206434-1 - Description: CIRCULAR CONNECTOR, PLUG, SIZE 11, 8 POSITION, FREE HANGING; Product
Range:CPC Series 2; Circular Connector Shell Style:Cable Mount Plug; No. of Contacts:8Contacts; Circular

66506-9 - Description: D SUB CONTACT, PIN, 24-20AWG, CRIMP; For Use With:AMPLIMITE D Subminiature
Housings; Contact Gender:Pin; Contact Material:Brass; Contact Plating:Gold Plated Contacts; Wire Size

1-206062-7 - Description: CIRCULAR CABLE CLAMP, SIZE 11, PLASTIC; Connector Shell Size:11; Cable Diameter
Max:8.36mm; Strain Relief Material:Thermoplastic; Product Range:CPC Series; For Use With:CPC
Connectors
BodeRacing, you did it the way I recommended. Perfect.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Daniels Precision

I finally had some time to look at this again this afternoon. I checked input 769 and found that it was showing I had a NC contact on the probe. After finding a manual for the MP11 probe, it looks like changing the input power polarity will switch the contacts from NC to NO. (Unlike the Centroid DP-4 which has an internal jumper block to make the change). I swapped the leads and now everything works.

I will take everyone's advice and find a way to get the probe detect connected to H13 Pin 8. It looks like I can reconfigure the wiring in my coil cord plug to use a common "Common" for my input power and signal returns (similar to the DP-4 wiring) to free up the extra conductor I need.

Thanks Marc, Marty, and BodeRacing for your help!
Aly-Tek
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900869

Post by Aly-Tek »

BodeRacing wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 pm I don't know what connector you have, but I have an Oak board and run CNC11 software. I was running the DP-4 probe and TT-1B tool touch off.

Connectors
Hi BodeRacing, That's the same setup I'm trying to install. But it looks like you've only used 8 pins and the Renishaw OMI-2T has 13. Any chance you could share the wires and pinouts you used and any install notes I need to be aware of? It would be very much appreciated ;)

Many thanks,
Stephen
Many Thanks
Stephen @ Aly-Tek :D