Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tree Journeyman 425 mill retrofit

Post by slodat »

I’ve wanted a cnc milling machine (and lathe) for a long time. After converting my router to Centroid Acorn, I knew I wanted my other machines to run their control as well. I just got this machine home. Was 150 miles away. Weighs 6000 pounds, CAT40 spindle taper, oiler, coolant, Baldor DC servos, 7.5 HP spindle. I think it’s a perfect candidate for control retrofit and will be a great first cnc mill for my shop.

Plan is AllInOneDC, new VFD, complete rewire, cleanup, etc.

UPDATE: decided to go with Acorn, DMM DYN4 and 1.3kW servos.

Made it to my shop without incident.

Delta 20 control.
Last edited by slodat on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tree Journeyman 425 mill retrofit

Post by martyscncgarage »

That's a beefy big one!
Can you post the tag off the servo motors?

I assume you have 3 phase power for the spindle?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

It is the biggest of the product line. About 6’ from the wall of placed against the wall. About 8’ wide and a little over 7’ tall.

I will be using a single phase supply into a Fuji Electric FRN0047C2S-2U 15HP VFD.

I’m very much interested in/asking for input. This is my first cnc mill.
C6EF613E-03EE-43EF-80F1-DFCC965A02B4.jpeg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Well, you don't need a transformer. You can rectify 120vac and get 170vdc. You will need to upgrade the encoders. You can remove the tachometers. You won't know what size encoders you need until you open the end cap. 40in lb servos are the max that All in One DC can handle but it will work.
I'm sure you found my video series on upgrading a knee mill with All in One DC.

Do test the servos to make sure they are ok.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/155.pdf

That beastie should serve you well. Was the Delta 20 control any good? You might be able to sell some of the parts.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
slodat

Post by slodat »

Got the mill in the shop. Looks like good bones. Needs a thorough cleaning and a complete electrical rebuild. Lots of useable parts.

slodat

Post by slodat »

Spent several hours and a gallon of cleaner scrubbing the coolant and grime off the mill today. Will need another pass of cleaning. After getting a closer look, I’m still happy with the machine. Should work well for my needs.

Still deliberating on control choices. I have some time before I’m ready to purchase.. Going to go with a 15hp VFD so I can run the spindle on single phase.

slodat

Post by slodat »

Not sure what this servo is on the X axis. It’s not the same Baldor that’s on the Y.
A24DED2F-68C2-4132-930C-8162CA5072D0.jpeg
Michael Moore
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: System ID 1115040338
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Michael Moore »

I've put Centroid controls on a 325 and my current 425. I suspect your 425 is older than mine as it has two cabinets instead of only one on the back. Does your data plate show the mill made by TOS in the Czech Republic? It appears they were still making them as model FV30 in modern times.

My 325 had Baldor motors and USA-spec ball screws and cabinet internals (relays etc) but a Yaskawa spindle motor and drive (eventually a CT Emerson drive using the Yaskawa motor encoder feedback, the Yaskawa drive filled an entire cabinet). My 425 has a Mez spindle motor and other Euro-components in the cabinet (but a Yaskawa VFD) and the ball screws are metric. It didn't have a control or servo motors on it when I got but it appeared to have never cut any metal. I bought it from an estate sale where the prior owner (an E.Eng) had been working on his own DIY control. It replaced the 325 that had been used in industry before I got it.

I deleted the tachs on the 325 axis motors and added the encoders from Centroid, and for the 425 I bought 3 new Glentek pre-wired DC motors from Centroid. Both machines got Linux controls with DC3IO (with add-on 4th for the 425 using a rebuilt Fanuc servo motor with upgraded encoder).

Is your machine a 3500 or 6000 RPM? 6000 may have been more common on the 325s. I think I got the last set of NOS high speed pulleys from ZDS for my 425. If running 6K I highly recommend doing whatever you have to do to close the loop on the spindle motor, it makes a big difference in the HP. But then my machines had the nominal 5hp motor and if your's is the 7.5hp motor it may have enough grunt to get by in open loop. I found a NOS add-in board for the Yaskawa G5 VFD that let me add an encoder above the spindle motor to close the loop.

The 425 is a big machine but it does just squeek through a residential garage door. It would be nice to have more than 6" of controlled Z, but 6" is way better than no CNC at all! They are sturdy and quality machines, just a bit old-school. If your machine isn't worn out you should be happy with it once you get the control installed.

Make sure the little check valves in the way lube lines aren't clogged up if the machine has sat for a long time.

cheers,
Michael
slodat

Post by slodat »

I've attached the Yaskawa spindle and drive nameplates. I'm not sure on the machine's speed range. The PO mentioned 6k. My machine was built in 1990. It has USA made control power transformers, Baldor servos, etc. All of the fasteners I've come across were metric.

I'm struggling with the open/closed loop piece on a replacement spindle drive. It was open loop from the factory. There's no encoder going to the drive on the schematics.

Thanks for the information! I may be in touch with questions at some point.
spindle.jpg
drive.jpg
Michael Moore
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: System ID 1115040338
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by Michael Moore »

I think my 325 was late 1980s and was 3.7/2.2 on the kW rating so you do have the big motor. Pulling the spindle motor is a huge pain unless you've got a high ceiling and a winch, but if you have your's out you should see a terminal box on the side. If there's an encoder you should see the encoder wires in there along with the usual UVW 3-phase motor wiring.

Here's what my notes show for the spindle pulleys (small on the motor):
425 pulleys
high speed pulleys 93.75mm and 125.75mm or 1.3413:1
low speed pulleys 80mm x 161.5 or 2.01875:1 7000RPM for 3500 spindle RPM

cheers,
Michael
Attachments
Yaskawapanel1a.jpg