Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Centroid - What a great company

Post by Richards »

Yesterday, I received a model 4 Acorn and an extra relay board for my model 3 Acorn that I bought almost a year ago. Opening that package reminded me of the care and concern that Centroid has for its customers. The power supply was pre-wired for the Acorn. The instruction sheet is comprehensive. The backside of the instruction sheet that shows a connection schematic that should make initial connections fool-proof. I just noticed that even those schematics are printed in color. (My eyes have serious problems.) The new schematics that Keith notified us of have fixed all of the connection problems that I've experienced with ClearPath servos, Gecko G203 drives, and Leadshine (clone) drives. Those problems were not Centroid's fault. (The older schematics followed wiring diagrams from other manufacturers that were somewhat lacking. I've read Teknic's manual carefully about the fault signal. The older schematics followed the Teknic manual. Keith and Gary solved that problem months ago, but because I had a work-around, I didn't carefully read the revised schematic that Centroid published months ago.) I was able to work around those problems; but the new schematics make those work-arounds obsolete. It amazes me that Centroid is willing to spend money on so many do-it-yourself motors, drivers, spindles, VFDs and other non-Centroid products, test those products, draw up schematics to use those products and still sell the Acorn for $299 with the amazing Centroid software.

Next, the forum along with YouTube videos are great. Keith, Marty, Gary and Franco not only show how to use the Acorn, but teach general principles about CNC machining. Late last night when I couldn't sleep, I watched a video where Keith showed how to use a vertical mill. The video contained everything that anyone would need to see how to use Centroid products to make their equipment work. Clicking on "Acorn User Videos" from the Acorn page shows a list of videos that show how to use the Acorn. Going on YouTube and searching "Marty CNC" brings up Marty's channel with a comprehensive list of how-to videos. Searching "Gary Campbell CNC" brings up Gary's channel and his expertly produced videos. (Gary and I go back decades to my Shopbot days when I constantly used his advice to solve my problems.) Clicking on "Centroid CNCKeith" brings up Keith's videos. His knowledge and easy-going style should make anyone comfortable in trying an Acorn. One of his videos was with "MecTechMike". Mike's mill and lathe conversions should impress everyone. He surely impressed me and gave me ideas that will take at least a year to try. There are many, many others who have taken the time to post videos showing how they use the Acorn and other Centroid products.

The forum is invaluable. Questions are answered expertly (in most cases). Since I tend to be disruptive in some of my posts (unintentionally - I like to think outside the box and try things that might seem to be controversial), I expected harsh feedback or even censoring, but I've been treated with respect and courtesy. More, importantly, by reading what others are doing, I get ideas that would take a life-time to implement.

Thanks Centroid and thanks to all of you in the Acorn community for your help.
-Mike Richards
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Centroid - What a great company

Post by cnckeith »

Mike, thanks, you made my day. -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Richards wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am Yesterday, I received a model 4 Acorn and an extra relay board for my model 3 Acorn that I bought almost a year ago. Opening that package reminded me of the care and concern that Centroid has for its customers. The power supply was pre-wired for the Acorn. The instruction sheet is comprehensive. The backside of the instruction sheet that shows a connection schematic that should make initial connections fool-proof. I just noticed that even those schematics are printed in color. (My eyes have serious problems.) The new schematics that Keith notified us of have fixed all of the connection problems that I've experienced with ClearPath servos, Gecko G203 drives, and Leadshine (clone) drives. Those problems were not Centroid's fault. (The older schematics followed wiring diagrams from other manufacturers that were somewhat lacking. I've read Teknic's manual carefully about the fault signal. The older schematics followed the Teknic manual. Keith and Gary solved that problem months ago, but because I had a work-around, I didn't carefully read the revised schematic that Centroid published months ago.) I was able to work around those problems; but the new schematics make those work-arounds obsolete. It amazes me that Centroid is willing to spend money on so many do-it-yourself motors, drivers, spindles, VFDs and other non-Centroid products, test those products, draw up schematics to use those products and still sell the Acorn for $299 with the amazing Centroid software.

Next, the forum along with YouTube videos are great. Keith, Marty, Gary and Franco not only show how to use the Acorn, but teach general principles about CNC machining. Late last night when I couldn't sleep, I watched a video where Keith showed how to use a vertical mill. The video contained everything that anyone would need to see how to use Centroid products to make their equipment work. Clicking on "Acorn User Videos" from the Acorn page shows a list of videos that show how to use the Acorn. Going on YouTube and searching "Marty CNC" brings up Marty's channel with a comprehensive list of how-to videos. Searching "Gary Campbell CNC" brings up Gary's channel and his expertly produced videos. (Gary and I go back decades to my Shopbot days when I constantly used his advice to solve my problems.) Clicking on "Centroid CNCKeith" brings up Keith's videos. His knowledge and easy-going style should make anyone comfortable in trying an Acorn. One of his videos was with "MecTechMike". Mike's mill and lathe conversions should impress everyone. He surely impressed me and gave me ideas that will take at least a year to try. There are many, many others who have taken the time to post videos showing how they use the Acorn and other Centroid products.

The forum is invaluable. Questions are answered expertly (in most cases). Since I tend to be disruptive in some of my posts (unintentionally - I like to think outside the box and try things that might seem to be controversial), I expected harsh feedback or even censoring, but I've been treated with respect and courtesy. More, importantly, by reading what others are doing, I get ideas that would take a life-time to implement.

Thanks Centroid and thanks to all of you in the Acorn community for your help.
Nicely said. Enjoy, spread the word. Acorn is a nice piece of hardware coming from a great company with over 30 years of experience in CNC Motion control. They listen to the users and try very hard to incorporate new features. Its one of the reasons I stick with them.....

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Nigelo
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Nigelo »

I endorse what Mike has written, every single word of it. Very professional kit from a very professional firm and incredible support from Keith, Marty, Gary et al including Mike himself who has helped me on more than one occasion. The really great thing about this Forum is how everyone tries to help each other at all levels of competence with nothing too small or too basic to comment on.

As Mike said, a real thanks to the whole team at Centroid and everyone in this community for the continued help and understanding - Long may that continue.
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel