Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Starting CNC without Last program Run Default

Post by Dave_C »

My work around is old fashioned, I printed it out and use divider tabs.
Yup, I'm old school too. I have printed out both the Lathe and the Mill versions and have them tabbed and in 3 ring binders on a bookshelf in the shop.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Post by tblough »

I posted both mill and lathe CNC11 manuals with Table of Contents and hyperlinks in the manual section a while back. I've got them both on my tablet and phone and they are easier to use than the stock PDFs.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76#p8018
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cmorgan
CNC Control System Serial Number: 9884E3949BCE-0426180876

Post by cmorgan »

1. I also find the auto-load of the last file loaded an unwelcome feature. When exiting CNC12 and reloading it please don’t do this. Or, at least allow a way to turn this feature off. This is the way most software works that I use. Word and Excel don’t load the last opened file for me automatically. But they do let me easily see and load previously loaded files, shown in order of most recent one first.
A further option I’d like is a way to unload the current file so that there isn’t an active one. When I’m through with a file I want to close it.

2. How can I change the default load directory? I’ve tried editing the pathm.ini file, but it just gets reset to the default value of C:\cncnc\ncfiles when starting up CNC12. When working on a project I may have several files I am working with over the course of many days in a certain directory. I want to set the default load directory to point to it so I only see those files when pressing F2.
At other times I want to have a parent directory set as default and then easily pick a child directory in which I’ve got my nc files saved.
And as long as I’m on a roll here, how about an option to make the default load directory the last one used. Then it becomes an automatic process for the system to just follow me and I don’t have to set anything. It just remembers where I was.

3. And yes. Please have a CNC12 manual.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you choose the "Advanced" file menus (add 4 to Parameter 4), then the default directory will be the one the previous job was loaded from.

Of course, if Centroid listens to your request and provides a way to "forget" the previously-loaded job, then this would no longer work, and it would probably have to fall back on c:\cncm\ncfiles.

Alternately, you can add 8 to Parameter 4, to select the Microsoft Windows file-open dialog instead. That has its own rules for default directories, and its own directory-tree navigation tools.

For what it's worth, on a Centroid control, "loading" a file is not like what you are used to with Word or Excel. In CNC11 (and its ancestors), "loading" a job simply means recording the file name for future use. Nothing actually gets read from the file into memory until it is needed: e.g. when you press Cycle Start to run it or F8/Graph to preview it.
cmorgan
CNC Control System Serial Number: 9884E3949BCE-0426180876

Post by cmorgan »

I think your first note on adding 4 to parameter 4 will get me what I want. Thanks for that tip.

As to your second note, perhaps a future version of CNC12 would allow a user to set the default directory (that is not tied to the last file loaded). Then it would not be necessary to preload the last file used when starting the program.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hello. yes as previously stated :-). the next version of cnc12 will allow the user to select whether they want the last program run to remain in the load jog field, this selection will be in the Wizard under a new tab called "Preferences"
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Visiting this issue as well. Is there way to have the open file dialog default to your chosen folder instead of the cncm\ncfiles each time? I have always had a "My Parts" within the "My Documents" folder with all the sub folders within. It gets quite tedious when every time a new file is desired, to have to re-navagate out of the default folder and back into my folder and then however deep to get back to where I was. Advanced menu option is sort of ok, but.... Gotta be somewhere that the default location is set to always go to the \ncfiles folder.?
Scott
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Sword wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:34 am Visiting this issue as well. Is there way to have the open file dialog default to your chosen folder instead of the cncm\ncfiles each time? I have always had a "My Parts" within the "My Documents" folder with all the sub folders within. It gets quite tedious when every time a new file is desired, to have to re-navagate out of the default folder and back into my folder and then however deep to get back to where I was. Advanced menu option is sort of ok, but.... Gotta be somewhere that the default location is set to always go to the \ncfiles folder.?
Search for Remote Drive & Directory
In the CNC12 operator's manual
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Of course, if Centroid listens to your request and provides a way to "forget" the previously-loaded job, then this would no longer work, and it would probably have to fall back on c:\cncm\ncfiles.
CNC12 v4.14 new parameters guide. http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... _guide.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Sorry, should really have started a different thread to not get my question confused with the thread title. Was looking at the options in the post by cncsnw. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2057&start=10#p14309

Setting the remote directory does nothing for the "F2 Load" default location and I do have the No_Job_Loaded set, which isn't the issue.

When you hit F2/Load, it opens the Windows "Select a file" dialog to \ncfiles as default every time. I'd like to set a different folder than that one.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott