Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: oc1c5708fb62-01224202901
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hickory revision ?

Post by SpacedmanSpiff »

We have been working to retrofit a Fadal 3016 for the past 2 months. We unfortunately have had to send the hickory board back under RMA. That was 3 weeks ago. I followed up last Thursday and was told the board was not economically feasible for repair. OK. I purchased a new one and was told that it would ship that day and I could expect an email confirmation that day. Unfortunely that did not happen. I followed up today and was told that new boards are being produced due to a revision.

So my questions are as follows.

1. Being an early adopter of the hickory is there any consessions given to those of us that are effectively beta testing a new product if the board fails ?

2. Is the board fully baked ? Tested ? I assume the answere is yes as it is being marketed.

3. What is the revision?

Having worked with the board for the past 2 months it has been rock solid and easy to use. And we look forward to continuing to integrate centroid into the shop...so far 2 Acorns and now a hickory. The Centeoid environment is exactly what we are looking for and hope to continue the journey.

All the best
Sean Trost
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Hickory revision ?

Post by cnckeith »

Sean,
Hello.
We just held back some Hickory orders for a few days while we finalized a new Firmware version for the BBG on the Hickory. Its not a "new board"
It is easier for us to update the firmware before shipping rather than you trying to do it later so we had a little shipping delay while we made the change.
The firmware update has been completed and we continued shipping Hickorys today.

Note for others: If you have a Hickory now and you don't have any communication issues then you don't need the firmware upgrade. The folks that make the BBG made some chip changes to it so we had to update the Centroid CNC BBG firmware to work with the new BBG's.
If you do need the firmware upgrade it is a simple matter, and we will be glad to send out a SD card to you at no charge so you can complete this easy task.

here is a video showing the process.

I'd like more information on what happened to your first hickory.
we have many in the field now running for years. Hickory was developed pre scamdemic but we couldn't produce in numbers due to Ethercat chip shortage.
We resumed selling units as soon as we got the chips!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
SpacedmanSpiff
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by SpacedmanSpiff »

Hi Keith,

The RMA is 36786.

We are not exactly sure what has happened. I was told that a breakdown of the techs findings would be included when the board was shipped back to us.

So as it currently stands
The original board is not repairable.
We purchased a new board.
The process has taken quite a while.

All the best.
Sean
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

SpacedmanSpiff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:20 pm Hi Keith,

The RMA is 36786.

We are not exactly sure what has happened. I was told that a breakdown of the techs findings would be included when the board was shipped back to us.

So as it currently stands
The original board is not repairable.
We purchased a new board.
The process has taken quite a while.

All the best.
Sean
i talked to our techs, the only thing we can think of that would cause such extensive chip damage to your board is if a live AC wires were draped across the PC board.

your replacement hickory shipped yesterday, no charge for shipping.

sorry you got caught right in the middle of a firmware change.

What motors and drives are you using with the Hickory?

and please start an online photo album of the machine and hickory control build and paste the link here so we can help you with the installation process.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

SpacedmanSpiff
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by SpacedmanSpiff »

Thanks !